Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing Scratches From Polished/Clear Coated Wheels

zw470

Question

A few weeks ago I picked up a new 2012 Charger R/T Road & Track. I was waxing the wheels last weekend and I noticed some BAD scratches in the clear coat on the wheels. I guess it was from my spoke brush but I've never noticed anything like this on the wheels on my wife's BMW so they could be a dealer-installed option. Any ideas on what to use to remove them?

700d1e50.jpg

Sorry, no close-ups of the problem but I couldn't resist posting a picture of my car :lolsmack:

7 answers to this question

Cant help you too much...but i believe you could polish then just like you would polish your paint...although i assume youll have to do it by hand considering how hard to reach it would be. I would wait for someone else to chime in.

I really just wanted to tell you how sick that new Charger is! I'm a Ford guy through and through...but Mopar is on top of their game.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Ok, the sun came out so I'll try to get a picture of what I'm dealing with so someone can reccommend which polish/polishes I'll need to pick up. I assume it would need to be done by hand since the wheels don't really offer any real estate to use a machine on?

Are those wheels chrome or polished aluminum?

If chrome: it's a very hard material and you'd want to try Metal Polish 1 followed up with Metal Polish 2.

If polished aluminum: I'm 99% sure they'd be clear coated if they're factory and as stated above you'd want to treat them like paint. Be aware that on wheels the clear is usually pretty thin and you can remove it rather quickly if not careful. Also, all the contours and sharp edges give you a great opportunity to remove it quickly too.

For wheels: the Mother's Power Ball Cone works pretty well on a drill to speed things along.

Yeah, they're forged and polished/cleared. Honestly I wouldn't mind if all the clear was gone, to me polished/cleared wheels always look a bit cloudy. I couldn't get a good pic that showed the scratches, maybe I'll just throw a hand polish combo kit in with my upcoming order.

Archived