Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leather Cleaner - Strength & Any Cautions

ranmac

Question

Is the leather cleaner PH balanced to match leather? If not what issues could it cause. I noticed the bottle suggests wiping with damp rag after cleaning. How does it differ from other adams cleaners?

I assume it should always be sprayed on a towel and not directly on surface... mist outside of car etc. any other cautions? I have heard if not used with conditioner it could dry out dashes and leather (I assume most cleaners would)...if not ph balanced is that the reason?

3 answers to this question

I've always used it full strength, spraying it on the towel, not the leather. Like anything you clean, I advise wiping it down with a damp cloth afterward to remove any dirt and residue. Then I immediately give the cleaned areas a heavy dose of Leather and Interior Conditioner. Apply it on a clean towel and rub in or use your hands. I do the hand rubbing in the winter and spring. Don't forget your dash. The SPF factor in the conditioner is high so it helps protect the dash and prevent fading. :2thumbs:

It is pretty strong stuff, so I would suggest diluting it 1 to 1 with water and using that first. As will all the other products, use the the least aggressive method first. It can damage the lettering on the wiper stalks at full strength.

I had the same questions in another thread. Turns out a member did a PH test and the product was "very acidic".

I'm not a fan of this and no wonder you have to wipe the cleaner off with a damp rag after using it.

I have used this product before and IME, There are newer and safer products out there for the interior and leather to be had. I can think of 3 leather/interior cleaning products off the top of my head that are water based, PH 7, and do not require wiping off with a damp towel after using. Thats because the products are very safe, and there cleaning power comes from a PH neutral, non-ionic surfactant rich, water based solution. These products are very safe and can be sprayed directly on the leather without shocking it and causing color variations. They rely on other means than being acidic to get there cleaning power and do NOT dry out the leather or surface there being used on.

I'm sure Adams has the resources to update there interior cleaner with a product like this. Another benefit to products with these attributes is that they can usually be used on ANY interior surface that can be cleaned with water including carpet. One product for everything. Theres one product like this that is not PH Nuetral, but rather is PH 9. Slightly alkaline. But still very safe and fool proof.

Archived