Customer Service 866.965.0400

Use a sealant or not?

SSMickey

Question

Sorry it's a noob question, but I am one. On an Imperial Blue Metallic Camaro, after correcting the paint and getting the swirls out, I plan on using Brilliant Glaze then Americana. Should I apply a sealant prior to the glaze? The car is garaged but the wife does use it as her semi-daily driver.

17 answers to this question

Hey...on a similar, yet completely sort of unrelated topic, why not 4" polymer sealant pad for the PC/drill? Can I use an alternative colored pad without problems?

Thanks again.

They had one and I actually have a couple of them. You can hit the tight spots by hand. I've personally never used the 4" gray pads on the PC. I use them by hand with MSS. lol

Sealant first, then BG, then Americana or BW to lock in the BG.

If you don't have sealant, then BG on the paint then APW, or BW to lock it in.

BG is like water. I wouldn't see a need to machine apply. It is a wipe on, wipe off product with a fast haze time. You would use much more product with machine pads. You can apply sealant and buttery with a black pad.

The big thing that stands out to me in this thread is "what is needed" question. I'm new to Adams and their line is simple which is the big reason I'm here now. The glaze is the least needed of the three. Sealant can replace the use of wax. Wax over sealant adds color depth. Glaze under wax adds more color depth. Sealant last a long time and bonds with the paint. You need a clean surface for this. Glaze has no protection. Sealant has long term(4-6+ months) protection with some gloss. Wax has a lower protection life (about 3 months average from what I've seen) but it provides that gloss and shine everyone loves.

Quick and easy summery: if it is a car you care about and own throw all three on if you have time. If you do a customers car and they aren't paying top dollar just do sealant for it's longevity of protection.

Hope this long winded post is totally accurate and helpful. :thumbsup:

Adam's made some fine sealant so you better goshdarn use it. :lolsmack:

OK, OK, I will!

Based on ever ones opinions and recommendations, I'm just going to throw the whole product line at this car. After correcting the paint, I'll use the Machine Super Sealant, Brilliant Glaze then Americana. I'm getting ready to come back from Afghanistan so I'll have the time to spend on the car when I get home. I plan on waiting at least 12 hours after the sealant before applying the Glaze then Americana. I believe I read somewhere that the Brilliant Glaze can be applied with the PC. Is this correct? If so, I assume you use the PC Waxing pad, just not the one you applied the sealant with.

agbull, You should polish and get the paint all nice and perfect, or near as possible, then apply sealant. Wait 24 hours and rewipe or rewash the car to remove any haze that might have built up you missed the day before. Then apply glaze. Glaze simply rides over the sealant for some filling properties and more depth of color. It will not last long though. To protect it you need to top with buttery wet or americana.

Your 4 inch pad question.. I can only assume that Adams did not deem it safe or needed. A drill is like a rotary, which is most like the flex in the way the pads would be. Which they do not ofter a black pad. What I'm getting at is, I think a drill is too fast and hot to apply sealant. Also, if it's an area you can only get with a 4 inch pad you could probably hand apply more quickly.

Ok, a follow-on as a noob, noob. The weather is great in TN and breaking out the Adam's products. Based on what I see on this thread, I should polish with the PC, then apply the polymer sealant, and then the Brilliant Glaze. Am I understanding correctly? The reason that I ask is that I remember seeing on another thread that the Brilliant Glaze can go on before or after carnuba or Buttery Wax, but based on the preceding, only after the polymer sealant.

Please clarify for the noob.

Thanks for the comments.

So if I'm understanding everyone, the shine will be about equal (not a significant difference) if I use Sealer/Americana or Glaze/Americana but I will have better durability if I use Sealer/Americana since this car is driven? or am I way out in left field? I want a very deep shine and don't mind the work to get and keep it, but durability is nice too. Thanks.

You'll play heck to see a difference between them all IMO. Americana and BG can be added at any point, but sealant MUST be applied to bare paint. :thumbsup:

So if I'm understanding everyone, the shine will be about equal (not a significant difference) if I use Sealer/Americana or Glaze/Americana but I will have better durability if I use Sealer/Americana since this car is driven? or am I way out in left field? I want a very deep shine and don't mind the work to get and keep it, but durability is nice too. Thanks.

The single most important thing to realize as you ponder this question is understanding the difference between a sealer and a wax. The main reason to use a sealer is durability. It holds up better and longer than a wax, especially for vehicles that sit outside and/or are daily driven. Most sealers are already pretty slick and shiny but if you want more shine, you can always apply a wax as a top coat. It will not only add shine but also extend the length of protection of the sealer underneath.

- Darryl

If you have the sealant, use it. It's a great barrier! I for one use it religiously.

Chris

:iagree:

I use sealant as part of my spring and fall detail! I use Americana on top of the sealant and after my bimonthly washes.

If you're going to coat with Americana, you don't need to apply a sealant. The wax provides adequate protection. Most will probably tell you to apply the sealant anyway, but it's not really necessary. If you do decide to apply a sealant, it goes before the glaze on the bare paint, like you said.

Archived