Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ok so......

Maxspeed

Question

I pressure washed, foam gunned, washed, clayed, re foam gunned and washed my test car today. It's a lot better than it was but not baby *** smooth. I really don't feel like spending more than the 4.5 hours on this process. Will I be good enough to learn how to perfect my Flex technique with my car as it now sits.

Actually right now I am doing the hood. I have noticed improvement from yesterday. This time I am using less spray, allowing the clay to grab more until I see slight marring then another spray. Also I learned that if you spray your hands eith DS the clay will not stick to your hand with hard pressure. With the bag test the paint is more smoother but still feel very light bumps. I think I will leave it at that and move onto the next panel. When I attack my Camaro I will seek perfection. Again this is a test to learn how to use my Flex.

Can I use the same piece over and over or does the clay loose it's effectiveness? I broke of 1/3 of my Adams bar and that's what I am using.

Unless the car is utterly trashed theres no reason you shouldn't get multiple uses out of that 1 clay chunk.

As far as the pressure vs. how smooth the paint is. No factory paint job is going to be perfectly glass smooth no matter how much you clay. The baggie test will be an indication of before and after... if you only feel 'slight' roughness now its likely all that you are feeling is stuff that won't be removed by clay.

Can't really add much that hasn't already been said, but as Dylan said, you CAN use too much Detail Spray. If the clay is sliding all over the place no matter how much pressure you use, use a few less sprays so the clay can grab the contaminants.

As mentioned, it takes a few times to find the ideal amount of lube. :)

Unless the car is utterly trashed theres no reason you shouldn't get multiple uses out of that 1 clay chunk.

As far as the pressure vs. how smooth the paint is. No factory paint job is going to be perfectly glass smooth no matter how much you clay. The baggie test will be an indication of before and after... if you only feel 'slight' roughness now its likely all that you are feeling is stuff that won't be removed by clay.

Thanks D, that's probably where I am at now. It's very smooth with the clay and spray and after when it's dry using my bare hand. With the baggy test I was assuming it would be flawlessly smooth, and I am feelingh some light grit.

I pressure washed, foam gunned, washed, clayed, re foam gunned and washed my test car today. It's a lot better than it was but not baby *** smooth. I really don't feel like spending more than the 4.5 hours on this process. Will I be good enough to learn how to perfect my Flex technique with my car as it now sits.

I find after I clay my car, it isnt baby smooth. After I polish it becomes baby smooth. Weird?!?!

When I clayed it yesterday I used tons of spray, cleyed the whole car allowing it to dry on the car. I then washed it. Today I am using less spray, claying, then spraying and MF towelling clean after each area, then moving on. I wonder if what I was feeling is residual clay left on after my wash. Yesterday I would move on then the clay glided effortlessly over the surface.

Sounds like you are beginning to get a feel for the process. :thumbsup:

Unless I am working on removing paint overspray I don't need to use much pressure at all. I just use my finger tips to gently rub the clay across the surface and keep folding the clay as the clay surface shows residue. Once I found my pattern I can usually clay my cars in 20-30 minutes. But doing other cars that are not maintained well...those can take much longer...in bad cases even up to an hour.

Like an other poster said, paint chips will not be affected by claying...and you can learn to feel the difference in the clay between chips and particulate on the surface of the paint. When claying I also turn off music and work out of the wind as the slight sound of the clay going across the clean paint vs dirty paint also helps me understand when the clay has done its job.

:cheers:

I am in my garage with a shop light. I am turning the clay. After I finish an area, the clay is as clean, showing no residue. Granted I am using the same clay as yesterday. I then use DS and a blue MFT clean the area then go over it again with a white MFT. The white shows no signs of dirt.

But I do have an Ipod going. Would go crazy with out it~

I clay in silence also. I think it's very relaxing and you can hear what the clay is doing.

Also gives me a chance to have a discussion with the voices in my head. :)

I am your father Luke. Feel the force.. :banana:

Just think about the pad releasing what ever that bump is and then swirling it around on the paint...

Results could lead to POOR!

Agreed! I must have a completely smooth finish or I won't leave the claying step (Including the glass). I check the finish, clay, check the finish, clay, (repeat as necessary) until that finish is completely smooth during the baggie test. Yes, it takes longer, but I want all those contaminants off the finish before I put the polisher to the paint.

When I work on my Camaro I will settle for nothing less than perfect results and will spend as long as it takes. I want to us my DD just to make sure I get good technique with my Flex. I am not looking for mirror perfect finish with it. I just don't want to start on my Camaro until I have some experience with my Flex.

Thanks Guys.

So with a baggie on your hand, you can still feel bumps?

Only you can make the decision to press on. I personally try to get it smoother than smooth.

Chris

Bob, do what Chris says and if you are satisfied, proceed with a 2-foot by 2-foot test area and polish with the flex until you achieve the desired polishing affect.

Yes and Yes.

:thumbsup:

You should perfect your technique on your DD 100%. If you clay the Camaro but not the DD you will not get the same results.

You need to do apples to apples so to speak, if you want do a section at a time, say the deck lid, or the hood, a door here or there.

Due the full process Strip, Clay, Polish. That is the only way your going to achieve the results you want on anything.

I spent 35 hours correcting my wife's daily & 20+ on my SS which is my DD as well, while perfecting my technique.

Its a learning process and you never stop learning, so if you want perfect results, you need to invest the time plain and simple.

Process Time = End Result

Archived