Customer Service 866.965.0400

Projects around the house....

LowNslo

So now that the weather is getting right, I am going to tackle some projects I put off last year! Hope to have some pics soon :). We bought our house 3 years ago from a couple that had two kids and white carpet! It wasn't terrible but it needed some tlc...... so we had it professionally cleaned before we moved it and it looked nice. Now 3 years later, a dog, and a new baby..... and I am really impressed how the previous owners kept the carpet that clean, lol.

Even with Adam's CUC it has a dirty look to it over all, so wood floors it is! I will start de-construction this week and hope to take pics of progress. Me and a buddy will be laying the floor, also moving some cable outlets to rearrange the living room, the master bedroom will get the same wood floor treatment with a wall mounted 32" tv (finally). I am going to drop a coax and 110 plug to hide the wires behind the tv. I plan to also paint the kitchen and cabinets, paint the house ( the few places we have siding, and build some shutters. Then a pergola on the back should wrap it all up! I bought this house with the intention of it being a 8-10 year house for us and as our family grows we will go from a 3br/2bth to a 4br/2 1/2 bth. So these upgrades will hopefully help the market value and curbside appeal! I have about 4 more years before we get serious about selling so I figured why not enjoy the house and update it!

Our floor will be this:

816281002578.jpg

I plan to build shutters similar to this (maybe more rustic depending on availability of wood):

cedar-wood-exterior-shutters__89513_thumb.jpg

Then the pergola (Similar to this, I will have pics as soon as the rain stops of my actual patio, but its similar without the screen porch):

pergola-11-300x222.jpg

What projects are you all taking on this season?

Awesome! Our house has a light beige carpet upstairs that I KNOW we'll have to replace. Main level is Brazilian Cherry which we fell in love with.

What ever you use, make sure it's hard. Dogs nails KILL wood floors. We had Armstrong laminate in our last house and it was dang near bullet proof!

Chris

we are using swiftlock from lowes. We didn't want to spend a ton and like the idea of laminate vs. real glue down wood ( I have installed and taken out and its little harder to work with). From all I have read and seen these are fairly durable and great product for price. After all it can't be worse than the horrible carpet lol. Its almost the same price to replace the carpet in both areas, so we are going with wood. If i went back with carpet I would have also just done all the carpet in the house, would not go back with that same color lol.

well im finishing a powder room now and then we are cleaning out the formal living room/office/library(we believe in multitasking lol). then the studio will become the childrens room (the second is due on aug 30) so we want to put them both in the same room then my wife will get the other room for her studio. I have to do the roof and re caulk the entire outside of the house. not to mention paint the whole inside of thehouse and oh yeah gut the basement and well lets just say my list resembles a large roll of charmin lol . my wife put the list on the wall and I thought she was wallpapering lol

I spent last Saturday and Sunday whipping my yard back into shape. I have a corner lot so it took both days to complete. I edged and mowed the entire front and back. Then I spread some top soil in the front with the back still to do. I also put down some Turf Builder front and back. I also placed mulch down in the flower beds, covering that ridiculous pine straw we had before. Like I said, I have a corner lot so it ended up taking 45 bags of red mulch! :willy:

Lol sounds like I'm not the only one working :). I just left best buy, went in cause I saw a 32" dynex online for 229 and thought well it's semi cheap and LCD and can replace my huge clunker from 2000 I have lol.......... Needless to say now I own a 42" LG led with 1080p and 120hz.......... And got a smoking deal with the wall mount! Only 100 bucks more than I originally wanted to spend! It will be hung on the wall Sunday when I start moving furniture and testing some options lol.

I just recently had new kitchen countertops made. This past weekend I painted in between the counter and the cabinets.

I don't mind the trimming and the painting but when it came to put new shelf liner in the cabinets I found out that I am truly not good at it. The liner kept getting stuck together as I would go to lay it in. Yeah, that part sucked. Thud.gif

This weekend we are extending the concrete pad behind our barn and putting on some type of extension. I am not sure why we need that but I just smile and say alright to the hubby.

We also plan on putting in a small pond by our deck. That will happen sometime over the summer months.

There are so many projects that I want to start and COMPLETE over the next few months and I feel that I am on a roll already! :thumbsup:

We moved into our beautiful home almost 2 years ago. We now have 2 dogs and the cherry hardwood floors are becoming trashed quickly. I plan on having them re-done (depending on costs).

The dogs also trashed the backyard that was beautiful when we moved in. We do not have a big yard at all. Mainly flagstone patio with some bushes around the fence line. The grass area is roughly 1o'x10' and I cannot keep it up with the pups doing their business all over it. I was thinking of installing some high grade synthetic grass made special for pet traffic.

Otherwise it's the usual upkeep around the house. Good luck to everyone else and their projects!

The dogs also trashed the backyard that was beautiful when we moved in.!

Oh, thanks for reminding me about that!! :willy:

My dogs have totally trashed my BIG yard. They try to catch shrews and gophers that are trenching through the yard. They have dug up the paths that the critters are using as their tunnels and they are not small. You could break an ankle or a leg if your not watching where you are walking.

Where does all that dirt go that is dug up? I can never seem to find it! :lol:

Anyone know how to get rid of the yard trenching lil critters that are messing up my yard?:help::help:

Well i have few things planned, mostly around my moms garage and possibly a racedeck floor cause the concrete isnt for me. Also planning on some more overhead light in the garage, and power-washing out HUGE driveway (not bragging just going to take foreverrr). Learning everything else have to do by myself since my dad passed away when i was back in high school, didnt learn too much about building and such so its learning by fire for me. I love the challenge though, and at the end when its done i feel good about doing it myself. Would love to see what people are doing, another great place for me to learn about house projects :D

Oh man that sucks Josh... A boy needs a dad to show him these things! If it helps, lean on us!

Spray the concrete with straight 100% bleach using a pump sprayer and then pressure wash the area. FREAKING WORKS!

Oh man that sucks Josh... A boy needs a dad to show him these things! If it helps, lean on us!

Spray the concrete with straight 100% bleach using a pump sprayer and then pressure wash the area. FREAKING WORKS!

I will indeed be listening in here to you guys! and asking questions when i have them! Ill have to try the bleach idea too, ive heard that from a few people now actually. we use a similar idea on out dock by the lake.

I will indeed be listening in here to you guys! and asking questions when i have them! Ill have to try the bleach idea too, ive heard that from a few people now actually. we use a similar idea on out dock by the lake.

yes sir! I picked up a 12 dollar round up gallon pump sprayer, it works wonders! Just pour in pump up and spray, then pressure wash, you will be amazed how the pressure washer works by itself! Every year I do our driveway and sidewalk and the house just because the humidity and weather here causes things to mildew kinda.

If ya need any help man just ask, got a huge group of DIY guys here and they are eager to help!

We have a place on the lake as well and I told my dad to try the trick. He used to pressure wash and take HOURS doing the job. He damn near cried and hugged me after trying it my way! lol

For harder areas on the deck, (Treks) I use TSP, bleach and a scrub brush. :thumbsup:

we should be moved into our new home sometime in June. we found the house that we want, just haven't seen it in person yet. its not listed on the market, but our realtor is letting us view it early next week. its got a pool, hot tub, and outdoor kitchen so the backyard won't need any work other than maintaining it. the first thing i'll do to it is seal the floors in the 3 car garage if its not already done. it also has this area on the side thats been paved and brick fenced in. its big enough to park 4 cars.... perfect spot for car detailing! i'm thinking we can build a roof over it to make it a large carport

as of last night I have my living room and hallway connecting my office and baby room, all concrete! Still need to scrape the glue and get up the glue down floor at the front door. So don't mind all the clutter in the pics...... also took some pics with my good camera last night for before and after but left it at home this morning lol.

7c0f380f.jpg

269280de.jpg

1f994703.jpg

fb57f180.jpg

e6b81f57.jpg

here you can see my dinosaur tv (they are extinct now) and the new tv getting tested :)

97515414.jpg

And yesterday I mounted it with remote sensors for my surround sound and cable box to be hidden in my closet with IR remote feeds! So this is how it will look as a finished product! Just wating on my cable provider to come swap my distribution block for a few extra ports so I can keep good quality HD on all the tv's :)

6cf258cc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

spent all weekend putting down floors and just deep cleaning the whole house! Its amazing after 3 years of living there, dust just accumulates everywhere! So all I have left this week is to put down a few thresholds and I have a guy coming Tuesday to give me a materials list and quote on helping me build a pergola! After all this, I will have to paint and new shutters and then I am done for a while!

Here are some "Finished pics", using my ultra awesome camera on my phone lol, I will have some better pics soon, when we can get to the camera in the spare bedroom lol.

5ac9afb9.jpg

9931cb9b.jpg

7c80da12.jpg

1e174ecd.jpg

416ba3d1.jpg

24b60b89.jpg

c9d3b7ae.jpg

Bedroom:

646443e2.jpg

da97587d.jpg

32595fe4.jpg

Archived