Customer Service 866.965.0400

My Double Soft MF are shedding

szls188

Question

:help:I was wiping down my black car Sunday with detail spray and my DSMF towel and the towel left behined small fibers all over were I wiped it down I had to use another brand of towel to wipe off the fibers that were left behined I have wahsed the towels one time in warm with liqued Tide and air dryed what did i do wrong or is there somthing wrong with the towel thanks

24 answers to this question

This seems to be an ongoing delima. There was a thread here a few weeks ago suggesting to boil them adding vinager to the water. Did this to 9 of my microfibers ( 2x each of single white, double white, plush blue and regular blue plus one drying towel). They all still leave fibers. As they are from 6 months to a few years old this may have something to do with longevity. When finished boiling hung them up to air dry. Next morning they were still damp so put them on tumble dry (no heat) in drier. Maybe, as suggested, they picked something up in the drier.

I have ordered and received 2 more of the single white microfiber towels plus the great white drying towel. Haven't use yet due to weather. One person suggested shaking well. Should I wash before using? Use drier or not?

Alot of persons always reply they have never had a problem. Several of us have. There are prior threads on how to care for that I've followed. Somehow I don't seem to get good results. So let me know if I can use these out of the box or whatever to stop the shedding.

Thank you

That right there shows you there's something fishy going on. No microfiber is made in this country. Even the Adam's towels come from Korea.

Don't shoot the messenger. :lol: IF the Asst. General Manager of this dealership AND the detail supervisor believe these towels are made in the USA then hey, who am I to tell them anything different.

What I DO know is they are now getting a different brand of "something." :confused:

I have the dreaded shedding also, it seems to be worse when the surface is wetter, like a heavy dose of DS, and then I will get some shedding. I let it air dry for a moment and then with a dry towel wipe it again, this seems to take the fibers off. Although I'm not sure what it does to my finish, if anything. But for drying the vehicle after I wash it, I use the drying towels, and use the mf towel when waxing.

Shine On

Bluezey:pc:

The supplier, after the supervisor made a phone call to him, asked him if these were indeed top of the line M/F towels and more importantly, were they being made in the USA. Supplier said yes to both questions.

That right there shows you there's something fishy going on. No microfiber is made in this country. Even the Adam's towels come from Korea.

my 3 single soft towels have been doing the same thing. I have to conact Ashley tommorrow. I was using the towels today at a show and they started shedding and I couldnt believe it. Hopefully they can make this right, the towels are less then 2 months old and properly taken care of....

I have no doubt that Adam would be the first person to catch this IF the company he buys his towels from have changed something. I say this because today I was helping the detailing supervisor at our RAM dealership playing detailing catch up because they just received two truck loads of new vehicles and they had to be detailed ASAP.

The first towel I started to use just felt different. Not nearly as soft as what Adam sells and they were blue in color. Additionally the supervisor and I both noticed how bad they were shedding. When I asked the supervisor if these were the normal towels he used he told me no. Said his supplier is now selling them different colored ones and again, not nearly as soft. No, no tags on them.

The supplier, after the supervisor made a phone call to him, asked him if these were indeed top of the line M/F towels and more importantly, were they being made in the USA. Supplier said yes to both questions.

I looked at some of the older towels this detail shop had used in the past. Actually they looked and felt better than the newer ones.

We were down to three black Chargers that needed detailing. I couldn't take it any longer. Drove home, loaded up the back seat of my truck with my towels and went to work on the Chargers. I do have a little shredding from my towels but have to say, they are not even close to being as bad as these new ones.

While I was loading my new towels I decided to grab four of my older M/F towels that I had purchased before I discovered all of Adam's products. Amazing but my old towels felt pretty close to the new ones that the dealership was buying.

The supervisor and I went into the assistant General Managers office and showed him HIS new towels and then I showed him my towels from Adam. He immediately wanted to know where I purchased my towels, which I told him. Said he was calling the detailing company that sells him their supplies in the morning and ask them what the h*** is going on. Hopefully, Adam may pick up a huge account with this dealership.

Additionally the way this dealership cleans interior mats is by "pressure washing" them. With my new RAM truck, it has the exterior compartments on the bed rails. I always carry with me what I call my Adam's emergency detailing kit. Showed him how to use the carpet cleaner on the mats - spray, scrub, dab with a M/F towel and it's done.

Also, some of the other detailing forums I've stopped by to check out are bragging about their new and much better M/F towels and all the different colors one can purchase.

I don't know if any of my "rambling" will do any good but I'm hoping that some of the M/F/detailing companies are not purchasing any so called new products from some Third World Country.

BTW, this RAM dealership has one employee and all he does, all day long, is to "properly" wash and dry their towels and other supplies that need washing. So I'd have to say it's not the machines that are doing this to these towels.

Also a FYI - for those who own RAM trucks, Dodge, either this month or next month is coming out with their limited edition of the 1500 Laramie Longhorn trucks with the Hemi 5.7 engines. "Pure" interior leather with the option of having the seats etched by a computer in a Gold color.

2012 Ram Laramie Limited | Power and Ultimate Luxury | Ram Trucks

my 3 single soft towels have been doing the same thing. I have to conact Ashley tommorrow. I was using the towels today at a show and they started shedding and I couldnt believe it. Hopefully they can make this right, the towels are less then 2 months old and properly taken care of....

This is not the lint like you find in your belly button :D, we are talking about literally "microfibers" glued to the finish by the detail spray and in my case, will not come off until I wash again. And believe me, I shake them like a polaroid...

I bet its not even visable to the naked eye with cars that arent dark colors. Heck, Mook's silver paint could hide a fugitive, lol, I kid..I kid. :thumbsup:

Big difference - belly button or microfibers. :o

I just finished typing up a post in response to this one from you and ZIP - into cyber space it is.

Was using a drying towel on the Mercedes when I felt a little pain in my trigger finger. Looked, couldn't see anything so finished detailing the car. Finger kept stinging so upon closer inspection I could just barely see something white sticking out of my finger. Using two finger nails, I pulled it out. It was a very very small piece of microfiber. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

The towel/s were rough feeling so I boiled them. Their now nice and soft. I was going to put this little piece in a zip lock bag and send it to Adam. However, how does one try to find something that small in a bag?

:confused:

I too have had this issue lately with my SS towels... they get washed everytime, pre-spray with APC just for good measure then washed by themselves on cold with extra rinse, then air dried...still find I have some shedding going on during a DS wipe down after Waterless wash or during clay process :( only solution I've found is to add more than normal amount of DS and wipe it down. I suppose the lubricants in the extra DS help prevent this problem

Unfortunately your not alone with this issue, there are several previous threads about it and I have sent back a set of double softs for the same thing. I started using only waterless wash towels and single softs for wipedowns and they lint way less. I think with a black car and with a towel that has been washed at all, it is going to leave lint while wiping away liquids. For what its worth, I do not remember my towels linting during the very first use, it was after the first wash as with your situation. I still use them when wiping away polish residue, because they do not lint during that step, at least in my experience.

It is the most frustrating part of detailing for me at least, because they stick out like a sore thumb when you looking for that smooth flawless finish...Adams stood up and replaced my towels for no charge so I have no beef absolutely with them whatsoever. I just want to fix it for my sanity!!!:help:

:iagree: Right on !! F Y I...... alot of car forums mention the same issue. Its not lint though, it is fibers. Maybe someone should make em in the US of A :cheers:

Good point Mook. Regardless if the wife buys new bath towels or hand towels or any kind of towel and then with me buying towels from Adam, I have "always" shaked them out even before they go into the washer. Amazing the amount of lint they have on them while still new.

Once "my" towels are done washing, I again "always" shake them out regardless if I am going to hang dry or put them in the dryer. There is still a minute amount of lint even on the wet ones.

When they are dry I again shake them, fold them and put them in the rubber maid boxes I have for each towel. Then when I'm ready to use them, I again shake them.

When I first started using Adam's towels, I bought the wife this giant shop vac, showed her how to use it and after every wash, she not only thoroughly cleans the dryer but also the washer. Over kill? Yea perhaps but it's amazing how fast it takes for just a couple pieces of lint to snowball into larger sized ones.

This is not the lint like you find in your belly button :D, we are talking about literally "microfibers" glued to the finish by the detail spray and in my case, will not come off until I wash again. And believe me, I shake them like a polaroid...

I bet its not even visable to the naked eye with cars that arent dark colors. Heck, Mook's silver paint could hide a fugitive, lol, I kid..I kid. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately your not alone with this issue, there are several previous threads about it and I have sent back a set of double softs for the same thing. I started using only waterless wash towels and single softs for wipedowns and they lint way less. I think with a black car and with a towel that has been washed at all, it is going to leave lint while wiping away liquids. For what its worth, I do not remember my towels linting during the very first use, it was after the first wash as with your situation. I still use them when wiping away polish residue, because they do not lint during that step, at least in my experience.

It is the most frustrating part of detailing for me at least, because they stick out like a sore thumb when you looking for that smooth flawless finish...Adams stood up and replaced my towels for no charge so I have no beef absolutely with them whatsoever. I just want to fix it for my sanity!!!:help:

Just to ask...are you guys shaking out your towels when you get them? The towels I use on a daily basis, Double and Single Soft, from all points in the recent past do not lint. I do make sure to give them a good shake before I use them.

Mook

Good point Mook. Regardless if the wife buys new bath towels or hand towels or any kind of towel and then with me buying towels from Adam, I have "always" shaked them out even before they go into the washer. Amazing the amount of lint they have on them while still new.

Once "my" towels are done washing, I again "always" shake them out regardless if I am going to hang dry or put them in the dryer. There is still a minute amount of lint even on the wet ones.

When they are dry I again shake them, fold them and put them in the rubber maid boxes I have for each towel. Then when I'm ready to use them, I again shake them.

When I first started using Adam's towels, I bought the wife this giant shop vac, showed her how to use it and after every wash, she not only thoroughly cleans the dryer but also the washer. Over kill? Yea perhaps but it's amazing how fast it takes for just a couple pieces of lint to snowball into larger sized ones.

Just to ask...are you guys shaking out your towels when you get them? The towels I use on a daily basis, Double and Single Soft, from all points in the recent past do not lint. I do make sure to give them a good shake before I use them.

Mook

But if you shake them more than twice...

There's too much lint and what not in the dryer to get on the towels for me to use it to dry them.

Chris

:iagree:

We do use the dryer for drying the towels but I have found that it does seem to introduce residual lint that came from prior items that were in the dryer. If it starts to bug me too much or if doing a dark car I will be sure to air dry them. Also found that cleaning the dryer helps, use the vac in the dryer and find crevices that hold a fair amount of lint.

:cheers:

Mook

I don't get lint from any of the white ones, but I have some blue ones with blue trim and they lint HORRIBLY! So much so that I stopped using them. I just boiled them in some water and white vinegar on Saturday and then washed them without detergent and hung dry which is how I've always dried them. I've NEVER machine dried my MF.

There's too much lint and what not in the dryer to get on the towels for me to use it to dry them.

Chris

Mook

Clayed last week thats when I used the towe for the first time out of the box it did not shed after the first wash thats when it started but i have never had a problem with other MF towels that i have washed this way

I've never had a Double Soft do that, but boiling them will supposedly resolve the problem. Honestly though, if they're new, call the and talk to Ashley about it. They'll get the issue resolved as well.

Chris

Archived