Customer Service 866.965.0400

brown tire disease

Big O

Question

First round i wet the rubber and soaked with full strength apc. then scrubbed with brush and soap, rinse. Second round was a longer setup time for apc and followed with stronger soap amd water with synthetic bristle brush and lots of scrubbing on every square inch of rubber.

I say do your best...like your doing with the all purpose cleaner and a brush. No need to do 3 or 4 passes of expensive cleaner on tires, especially since they are just going to get dirty again. Cover that up with some SVRT and see how that looks. Try 2 thin coats, nocking the first down with a utility towel. Some tires are picky, and have coatings on them that make them more difficult to clean than others. Especially newer tires.

Had this exact problem on the new truck... the dealer had slathered some shiny goop all over them a few times as well. Over the course of its first 2 washes I've treated the wheels to full strength APC soakings and very aggressive scrubbing with the fender brush a total of 6 times (3x each wash).

At the final (6th) cleaning the APC finally didn't turn brown when running off the tire. When they dried they were finally black!!

As the other suggested SVRT will make them black again, but until ALL of the brown crud is removed you may see it come back occasionally. Just go aggressive on your APC and scrubbing a few times and it should be good.

The other option is to use a REALLY aggressive cleaner like Bleach White, but the problem there is that if it so much as touches some wheels it will permanently discolor them so its something that I only use with extreme caution or if the tires are unmounted from the wheels.

I got it scrubbed again and powerwashed clean. I did not dilute the svrt, just went nice and zlow with the foam block. Looked at the wifes yukon last night and they got dusted again, gotta love living in wyoming.

I was going to suggest Comet, but obviously you need to be careful not to get it on anything else. As much as I HATE anything bleach, Comet is my last-resort cleaner of choice for anything that won't come off! lol

I have same problem with my larger truck tires but I have a plan! After scrub down with APC I will coat raised white letter and surrounding area with some in and out spray then do the same on the knobby side wall. For the larger black areas I will use some invisible undercarriage dressing followed up by a coat of SVRT over all the whole tire.

I had this problem on the tundra I did. It took 4 hours to get all the Brown off. I used simple green and a tire cleaner called bleach white. I didn't want to waste my Adams stuff on it. But it will come off just takes lots of elbow grease!

Been dealing with that brown stuff as well. That glop that the tire dealer put on the tires takes a while to clean off the tires. Sure wish they hadn't put that stuff on, it's miserable to get off, and can't be good for the tires.

Comet would have been my suggestio0ns also. Use to use it on the white walls growing up and they got very white. My guess is you have a lot of clay in your area and it it staining the tires.

Glad you got it figured out.

I don't think Adam's recommends this but I have used QS on my tires to pretty good affect to lengthen SVRT longevity.. strangely it doesn't seem to work as well on my diffuser... (I'm guessing it has to do with the plastic vs rubber properties....)

I need to test IUS on the diffuser... it looks like BlueGen had some success... altho I never saw if it lasted....

Happy detailing,

[m]

I had this problem on the tundra I did. It took 4 hours to get all the Brown off. I used simple green and a tire cleaner called bleach white. I didn't want to waste my Adams stuff on it. But it will come off just takes lots of elbow grease!

Next time bring the right tools to the party. The two brands of cleaner you mentioned are not even 25% as strong as full strength APC.

Typically with Tire Tanning, it takes 4-5 applications of APC and a stiff brush (think carpet brush if you need to) to get all the garbage product off of the rubber.

Mook

I've used those cleaners before with good results. Like I said I didn't want to waste my Adams stuff. Plus it was extra stuff I had that was taking up space. Bleach white is a pretty good tire cleaner imo.