Customer Service 866.965.0400

In Ground Pool Question

MAYBEN

Do any of you use a Salt Water System?

Last year I was considering switching at the end of the season, then something came up and I forgot about it as well as what I researched at that time.

I was looking at the Hayward systems..

Right now I use chlorine..

Have been using a saltwater system(Jandy Aquapure with Aqualink Indoor Control system) since building the house and pool 5 yrs ago. Satisified with it so far. It's not like Ocean Saltwater can hardly tell and no chlorine smell or burning. Easy to maintain. Do have to add muriatic acid(cheap as is the salt) every so often to keep Ph balanced. Have a PebbleSheen Finish and they say that is common. Let me know if you have any further questions.

When we had our pool put in we originally had the salt generator but we ripped it out a year later. We could taste the salt and really dried out our skin. I do alot of outdoor music systems and just about every customer has a salt system put in and then riped out a year or so later because of the reasons I stated above.

Im not saying it doesn't have a place but we prefer chlorine...We also have a DE filter which helps ALOT. But i should note that we have gunite pool with a hydrazzo finish (marble like) We pay around 350/year for chimcals, i say year because the pool stays open 10 months out of the year becaue we have water features and my dad cant stand to cover the pool (hes a bit nuts) :lolsmack:

Next season we are thinking about switching to a ozone generator system. We have it in our spa and dont drop any type of chemical in there, works amazing! the ozonator system doesn't cost all that much more the a salt generator.

Del Ozone Eclipse Ozonators for In Ground Swimming Pools

Edited by 3PedalMINI

I had a salt system for a couple years before I sold the house. If/when I get a pool again will definitely use the salt based system again.

When the salt level was set properly the salt taste was barely noticeable and we had the exact opposite experience that Brendon had, did not feel the water dried our skin out but rather that our skin didn't get as irritated as it did before. My daughters had a tendency towards skin problems and with the standard chlorine system parts of their skin would get red but wouldn't be red with the salt based system.

Salt based system costs $ to install, but for me found the ROI was roughly three years.

:cheers:

What perfect timing for this question. My best friend was just talking to me last night how he wants to switch over to salt at the house he just bought. Going to share all of this with him. Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I worked for a pool company for several years and would advise against any salt water system especially Hayward. Hayward is the economy brand in pool equipment. The company I worked for would install them if customers specifically requested them, but we would try to talk them out of it. All a salt water system does is take the salt (Sodium-chloride) and separate it using a very expensive piece of equipment. So you still end up with chlorine, or the chloride part of the salt. The fancy piece of equipment that does not last forever and is very expensive when it breaks. Like mentioned above, you have to have the pool Ph just right for the thing to work. In Houston, our PH runs naturally high so customers would have to add acid weekly. The big "selling" point of the salt water systems is that you dont get the chlorine smell or burn, but this is kinda miss leading. If your using a traditional chlorine pool and you smell chlorine then there is a problem with your water chemistry. A properly balanced pool will not have this problem. Saltwater systems have been around for awhile, but seem to be the latest "fad".

Disclaimer: My pool experience is all limited to the SE Houston Area. Pools and their chemistry/maintenance can be very regional.

no matter what system you go with, its gotta be maintained weekly. there are benefits to each system, you just have to weigh your options.

salt water pools are great to swim in, you can open your eyes underwater without them burning, you don't have to wash off after swimming, and cost less to maintain. however the initial cost of the added equipment could turn people away.

with chlorine pools, the initial cost is a little less, but you do have to spend more in chemicals over time.

its really a matter of choice which you would rather have, both have to be checked on often. i say if you have the funds to convert, do it!

was hoping to do it myself to save $$.. I believe the complete salt conversion would cost under $1K.. not sure about the Ozone stuff, and whether I can do that myself or not..

No Sir, still puzzled..

looks like I'm going to have to open it with Chlorine for now though, can't keep waiting, should be opening it this weekend hopefully