Customer Service 866.965.0400

Backing plate on the flex

BlueGenCoupe

Question

Guys I don't know why but the backing plate on my flex keeps on popping off.

This is what it looks like

cfdb45f1-816c-7e4b.jpg

cfdb45f1-8183-1f14.jpg

Every time it pops off I loosen the nut , install the little silver piece(tap it in lightly) install the backing plate and tighten the nut.

I don't know what else to do. I'm half way through polishing the car and I'm afraid to use it again. Both times it popped it off I was lucky it never did damage.

This couldn't have happened at a worse time. Adams is closed for the long weekend, I'm not even close to finished and I have a client coming next Saturday!

Man I wish I could help you out Anthony, I haven' had my BP off yet on the Flex. Let me know if you want me too, I can take mine apart and see what may be the root cause.

Anthony,

Something is wrong with the cam portion that is supposed to fit in the slot in your backing plate.

It looks like you have pulled the cam out from where it is supposed to sit in the portion that stays

attached to the polisher. Backing plate has female slot where the cam

male portion should fit into.... there is a clip that holds that cam portion

(male) in and i don't see it in your pic.

So it should look like.. (sorry, no visio)

__________bolt & washer _____________[

|---------backing plate h e r e -------------| | Backing plate assembly

___________female slot_______________[

felt ring ___male part of cam _____felt ring

____\ cam h e r e (weight attached) /

_____\ rest of polisher attached here /

______+++++++++++++++++++

Here's a pic.... [edit] YOU CAN SEE HERE THE SPINDLE HAS A FLANGE THAT IS HELD IN BY A SNAP RING. YOUR SPINDLE

IS IN THE BP, EVEN THOUGH THE SNAP RING IS STILL IN THE BOTTOM PART OF THE POLISHER AND LOOKS

LIKE THE SPINDLE WAS PULLED UP AND THROUGH THE SNAP RING!!!!

3401Flex.jpg

[m]

Edited by gencoupe3dot8

It looks like the spindle came out, even though the snap ring is still installed....strange.

I looked at it and it appears "torqued"... the snap ring seems bent/canted from the inside, like the spindle was pulled straight up and out of the snap ring...

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAS HAPPENED!!!! Look at the BP.... the flange attached to the spindle is IN the BP!!!!

Anthony, is the allen bolt still in the BP????

I assume you would need to have a special tool to get the snap ring out, put the spindle in, then put the snap ring back in... then out the BP back on the spindle, and tighten down the allen (with washer)...

I think you're correct Mike...nice eye!

He can get that snap ring out as long as he has an awl, or a small jewlers screwdriver to fit into the two holes and squeeze together I think. Hopefully a home repair can be done, but if not, the always preached 110% guarantee will be a life saver!

Anthony,

When you put it back in is the snap ring covering the flange on the spindle?

3401Flex.jpg

As I said you would need to pull the snap ring out, insert the spindle and get the snap ring over the flange

(it should be holding it in). Otherwise I would call Adams on Tuesday and have them send one out overnight

or 2nd day in time for your customer detail.

Good luck!

[m]

Edited by gencoupe3dot8

Regarding the snap ring... it MIGHT be able to be reused by using a pair of snap ring pliers and forcing the rings APART - to adjust the tension

OUTwards, I can't tell if there is a slot the snap ring is supposed to fit it or not.. can you tell? The pliers you are looking for would be something like this:

MP-TOOL-027_is?$product_large_1000$

Hope you find a solution in time to meet your detail. It has been fun trying to help you!

Anthony,

When you put it back in is the snap ring covering the flange on the spindle?

3401Flex.jpg

As I said you would need to pull the snap ring out, insert the spindle and get the snap ring over the flange

(it should be holding it in). Otherwise I would call Adams on Tuesday and have them send one out overnight

or 2nd day in time for your customer detail.

Good luck!

[m]

Are you talking about the black snap rin seen in this pic?

The snap ring was already in place and there was no problem with it. For whatever reason the spindle (seen in the pic)cfdb45da-8b1f-4f23.jpg

keeps popping off with the backing plate.

Today it's flew off 3 times. The last time it went sliding down the car and landed face first on the ground. 2 white pads damaged and possibly 2 orange pads. I'm ready to throw this flex down the street.

It looks to me like that snap ring in the bottom is broken. I would suspect if your handy you should be able to carefully take it apart, go to the local autoparts store and find an exact match. It looks fairly easy. Just would need a pair of snap ring pliers which can be picked up at any good autoparts store. I know Home Depot and Lowes carry snap rings as well down the nut and bolt isle in those specialty drawers. It looks like you can get snap ring pliers at either Home Depot or Lowes as well. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Search Results for*snap ring pliers*at The Home Depot

Shop Crescent Retaining Ring Pliers at Lowes.com=

9c888e59-1.jpg

Edited by LFairbanks

So I looked at this some more and to me it looks way easy. Part # 102091 is the snap ring that your after (broken). If you look at the diagram that Mike posted there is only 2 parts between the snap ring on top and the one your after. Basically remove that top snap ring that you can see in the pics you have posted and the other 2 pieces should come out. If part # 322105 is still attached to your pad, the part that comes out, there should be only part # 259148 in the way to get to your snap ring part # 102091. And as I posted above if you take it to HD or Lowes or your local auto parts supply house they should be able to give you an exact match.

To put it back together you would take part # 322105 and slip it thru part # 259148 and attatch your new snap ring. Slid the whole thing back into the tool and replace snap ring on top. Part # 102105 and you should be back in business.

Edited by LFairbanks

The snap ring was already in place and there was no problem with it. For whatever reason the spindle (seen in the pic)cfdb45da-8b1f-4f23.jpg

keeps popping off with the backing plate.

Today it's flew off 3 times. The last time it went sliding down the car and landed face first on the ground. 2 white pads damaged and possibly 2 orange pads. I'm ready to throw this flex down the street.

That spindle goes thru a roller bearing and is secured in place by the snap ring in the picture that I posted. The snap ring that you see in the above pic (yours) holds that roller bearing in place. Your snap ring is broken. It took me all of 2 minutes to take apart. That is counting digging out the tools that I used. Just make sure when you put it back together that you press rather hard to get that snap ring on top (the one you see in your pic) to snap into place. You will know it when it does. I used my finger to push down on the spindle hard and used a small flat tip screwdriver to push snap ring firmly into place. Had to start it initially with snap ring pliers.

I don't think the snap ring is the cause. How would that Keep the spindle from popping out?

The snap ring is circular, and the spindle slides in the middle of that. The snap ring isn't actling like a clamp and holding it in place..At least I don't think it is..I could be wrong

I don't think the snap ring is the cause. How would that Keep the spindle from popping out?

The snap ring is circular, and the spindle slides in the middle of that. The snap ring isn't actling like a clamp and holding it in place..At least I don't think it is..I could be wrong

The spindle is held in place by the snap ring on the bottom of the roller bearing. See my pic below. And that whole assembly is held in place by the snap ring you see on the top where the backing plate is screwed into the spindle. If that makes sense. Let me know and I will try to explain another way. If that snap ring in my pic is broken your spindle is going to come off. There is groove on the spindle and the snap ring snaps into it and holds the spindle in place and the one on top holds the whole assembly you see in my hand in the tool.

Below is a pic of the ring your after. Take that snap ring off the top. This is the bottom side.

IMG_0390.jpg

Edited by LFairbanks