Customer Service 866.965.0400

1 Glaze to 2 Waxes?

chopsticks

Question

Hi,

I should be receiving my brilliant glaze tomorrow and i tend to feel more secure by applying 2 layers of americana. I was wondering, since the tutorial videos recommend BG then Americana, is it a good idea to do both the BG and the Americana twice if i choose to layer or one BG and 2 Americanas?

21 answers to this question

Honestly, be careful putting too many layers on. You can start to see clouding.

I'd do one BG and max two APW at one time.

Ultimate would be one AQS, one BG, and one APW. ;)

the only reason i actually would consider another layer is because i only get a chance to do more than a wash 1 to 2 times a year. But i think with the quick sealant as well i can have a little more longevity in the whole deal.

With how much you get a chance to work on you ride you may want to consider some MSS, allow for the proper cure time. Then throw some BG and APW on there to get lasting protection.

If you don't have a PC or Flex then go with your plan with QS, BG and the added coats of APW.

Im keeping my eye on machines from a distance for now. This is my first time detailing, i practiced on my dads car with good results, so im going to do my car by hand as well, especially because the car is only a year old and has no major defects. Maybe next year ill look into PC. I saw some ideas on the forum about buying a junk hood and practicing so i might do that too.

I would say no to a second coat of Brilliant, since it does contain some cleaner, if you apply a second coat after applying Americana, you will remove the Americana...one coat of Brilliant, then Americana, allow a few hours to cure and then a 2nd coat of Americana, and your ride will look AWESOME!!

wash once a month?

must be DIRTY! although I can't say much, there was a few months where I didn't get to wash it at all.. I only recently SPIDERMAN'd into my spare room and was able to grab most of my supplies..

Im keeping my eye on machines from a distance for now. This is my first time detailing, i practiced on my dads car with good results, so im going to do my car by hand as well, especially because the car is only a year old and has no major defects. Maybe next year ill look into PC. I saw some ideas on the forum about buying a junk hood and practicing so i might do that too.

I got two old car doors and a hood from my neighbor. It's been awhile ago but that's how I learned a little better control with both the PC and especially the Flex. Get 'um shined, throw 'um back outside for a month or two and start all over again. Perfect way to practice in case ya goof things up. :D

Definitely going to try that junk hood idea, although i heard that a PC is pretty much safe.

Also, i just washed my car the other day and this is only maybe 3 weeks after i sealed and waxed, it was barely beading...im guessing i did something wrong. I applied the sealant after the polish step then the glaze/wax. Im guessing the error was in the wax application, but i applied it exactly the way its done in the video; i put the glaze on and the americana directly over the glaze. This actually raised an issue because my wax applicator would now have glaze on it.

Now im wondering if the next time i wash my car if i should throw on another americana layer or a quick sealant layer, although now im also wondering if the sealant will work considering i waxed it a few weeks ago.

... i just washed my car the other day and this is only maybe 3 weeks after i sealed and waxed, it was barely beading...im guessing i did something wrong. I applied the sealant after the polish step then the glaze/wax. Im guessing the error was in the wax application, but i applied it exactly the way its done in the video; i put the glaze on and the americana directly over the glaze. This actually raised an issue because my wax applicator would now have glaze on it.

Now im wondering if the next time i wash my car if i should throw on another americana layer or a quick sealant layer, although now im also wondering if the sealant will work considering i waxed it a few weeks ago.

You did it right by applying the sealant directly to the cleaned/polished paint. Sealant, if applied over glaze or wax, can only last as long as the glaze or wax. Sealant needs to be applied directly to clean paint.

I never use the same applicator for different products. Dedicated applicator for each product.

Are you using Adam's Shampoo for your washes? Or did you use a different wash product? Trying to understand why the water beading would have diminished in just 3 weeks, sealants will last much much longer than that and so will Americana.

:cheers:

the only reason i actually would consider another layer is because i only get a chance to do more than a wash 1 to 2 times a year. But i think with the quick sealant as well i can have a little more longevity in the whole deal.

Do you do a WW or DS wipe down instead of a wash?

Honestly, be careful putting too many layers on. You can start to see clouding.

I found that multiple coats of americana can result in clouding. As far as time goes I can easily apply the Brilliant Glaze in 30 minutes after wash. Easy on, easy off

You did it right by applying the sealant directly to the cleaned/polished paint. Sealant, if applied over glaze or wax, can only last as long as the glaze or wax. Sealant needs to be applied directly to clean paint.

I never use the same applicator for different products. Dedicated applicator for each product.

Are you using Adam's Shampoo for your washes? Or did you use a different wash product? Trying to understand why the water beading would have diminished in just 3 weeks, sealants will last much much longer than that and so will Americana.

:cheers:

Dave: I have a rubber maid box for every different towel, same thing for the buffing pads and all the products that I can keep in my shop - (it's still dropping into the 30's and low 40's at night). More importantly, as you said, I never use the same applicator for different products. When I'm done using one for a certain product, it's washed and put into a seperate rubber maid (large container) with drawers for each applicator.

When I first came down with this detailing "disease" I use to use different foam applicators while detailing and when done, cleaned them and threw them in one big box. I didn't get a couple of them thoroughly cleaned and the next time I used one, it still had some of the product in it which turned things into one huge mess. :o

Definitely going to try that junk hood idea, although i heard that a PC is pretty much safe.

Also, i just washed my car the other day and this is only maybe 3 weeks after i sealed and waxed, it was barely beading...im guessing i did something wrong. I applied the sealant after the polish step then the glaze/wax. Im guessing the error was in the wax application, but i applied it exactly the way its done in the video; i put the glaze on and the americana directly over the glaze. This actually raised an issue because my wax applicator would now have glaze on it.

If you try that junk hood or even the old door idea, try and find some that are not totally flat. Ya need practice going over ridges in the metal - at least that is what helped me a lot. :xfingers: