Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing a 96 Mystic Cobra next week!

colodude18

A co-worker of mine is the lucky owner of a limited edition 1996 Ford Mustang Mystichrome Cobra SVT Coupe. They are planning on selling it and I offered to do a detail on it. The paint is in dire need of some Adams lovin' although in the below picture it looks halfway decent. Will post before and after pictures. Also, if there are any interested buyers, send me a PM :) Car's got almost 31K miles on it and is located in Colorado.

DSC00360.jpg

I don't think I could ever buy a car with this paint. If I'm OCD about my paint now, I'd go stock raving mad worrying about this one. I read somewhere that back in 1999 it was already $1,000 per liter and that you need a Ford expert to color match it. I'm gonna say "no thanks". But it looks awesome though!

There's a ton of rumors about the exact paint of the car. Supposedly the green hue in it is the same stuff try use in our currency. And I have priced the stuff and it ain't cheap but it's not my daily driver. You use to have a ford rep along with basf come out and run the vin to verify the car is real and then they let u use just enough paint to fix the car not paint extra parts even. Now the have become more lax with it in those regards but its still expensive. Best price I've bee quoted is 320 a pint. I told myself I wanted 'different' so that's why I'm dead set on this car.

Btw the car I am looking at has 73k miles and is stockish for 8k

Here's the pics from when I got the car :D

DSC_0007-2.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

When I get more pictures I'll post them in a different thread, these are the ones from when I literally just said would you take ___ and it was mine! PS that is his 04 mystichrome termi next to my car now. At one point the owner had a 93 mystic, 96 mystic and the 04 mystic cobras.

It looks to be in great shape! Congrats again. Why was he selling it if he was a collector of sorts before?

The car on the right has a 3.4 whipple setup that puts out 850rwhp but it needs a new built motor from block up. He said hes ready to get that car running again and this was the easiest thing to sell to get to that kind of funds.

Just a quick teaser before & after pic of my test panel this morning. In the bright sun the color scheme is all the more spectacular, especially without swirl marks! :)

6-30-201210-03-45PM.jpg

:glasses:

Sweet! Thankfully the previous owner of my car new a thing or 2 about polishing cars. Granted he uses a different brand, it was still quality stuff so there is hardly any swirls at all in the paint, just a few rock chips and stuff like that. I LOVE my paint on the car, just can't get over that you look at 1 angle and its purple and the next is green. I've even caught a gimpse of the gold in the car too.

there is hardly any swirls at all in the paint, just a few rock chips and stuff like that.

That's what absolutely puzzles me about this car; it's got 30K miles on it and there isn't a SINGLE rock chip. Now granted it's got a clear bra, but still, how the hell do you drive 30,000 miles and not get a bunch of rock chips??? My car's got 26K miles on it and the front is covered with the boogers, thinking about repainting next summer. I hate to admit it but when I'm done with this car, it'll be in better shape then mine! :willy::help:

Well I had the luxury of two weekends, and a week with Independence Day smack in the middle. Took Thursday and Friday off as well, and just got done with this car. It was very rewarding, the swirls weren't too bad for my PC to correct them. I'll also drop a photo bomb now for those that had asked for "lots of pictures"!!

PROCESS:

Strip wash w/ Dawn;

clay bar (just the front, hood and windshield, rest was OK);

Severe Swirl Remover and Green pad (on tops of doors and fenders only);

Swirl & Haze Remover and Orange pad;

Fine Machine Polish and White pad;

Super Machine Sealant and Grey pad;

Brilliant Glaze;

Americana.

BEFORE AND AFTERS:

6-30-201210-02-10PM.jpg

6-30-201210-03-45PM.jpg

7-1-20124-50-30PM.jpg

7-1-20124-51-27PM.jpg

7-4-20126-26-48PM.jpg

7-5-20127-55-28PM.jpg

7-5-20127-56-36PM.jpg

7-8-20122-25-26PM.jpg

7-8-20122-26-29PM.jpg

AND THE FINAL RESULT:

1a.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-2.jpg

7-1.jpg

9a.jpg

10a.jpg

10c.jpg

10d.jpg

10e.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

43.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

48.jpg

I managed to get this shot on the rear bumper showing off the green, purple AND gold in the paint:

98.jpg

My own car has been seriously neglected these past two weeks. To make matters worse, it has rained several times too, so the Cobalt looks like "the beast" next to "the beauty"!! Another photo contest I missed :jester:

It was about time the Stang got done, because a Mexican standoff was developing inside my garage, call it "battle of the cylinders" lol

99.jpg

Wanna come to TX and help get another one looking good? lol

Mine looks good but that thing looks flawless. If there is any flaws in the paint you can't see them in the pics. For those who don't know about these cars and the paint; I would say 80% have some sort of fade from the lack of clear coat. Ford was experimenting with a different kind of clear from the stories I hear and it simply didn't hold up to the sun at all.

Wanna come to TX and help get another one looking good? lol

Mine looks good but that thing looks flawless. If there is any flaws in the paint you can't see them in the pics. For those who don't know about these cars and the paint; I would say 80% have some sort of fade from the lack of clear coat. Ford was experimenting with a different kind of clear from the stories I hear and it simply didn't hold up to the sun at all.

I did find a few tiny spots where it looked like the clear had "cracked",but they were even too small to photograph. I think this car hasn't spent much time in the sun, luckily...!

thats a really nice color! drop it an inch, put some wider wheels/tires on it and i MIGHT be willing to be caught driving a ford :D

Gimme a week and I'll have those pics u want lol. I'm buying a set used for half of what it would've new. 295/35/18 out back :banana:

Archived