Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tree sap help

BlueJacket

Question

Anyone have some tips on removing tree sap without using a clay bar. I have tried to clay bar them off but they are dark brown on a black car and when wet blend right. When using the clay bar I can not see if the sap is still there once I clay the top layer off. This has become a real PITA.

15 answers to this question

My suggestion is IPA cut 50/50 with water, followed by Adams Waterless Wash or Detail Spray...works like a charm!

Using Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) or one of the over the cheap counter bug n tar removers should work well. Just remember to reseal or wax afterwards since the wax will be removed by anything that is capable of removing tree sap.

:cheers:

I don't know if people just haven't thought of this but tree sap is pretty much sugar and water. I'd say go at it with a hot rag and leave it on the spot for a second then go with a clay bar and rub it off, the heat will loosen it. definitely the cheapest option, and remember to reseal it whatever you do cause all that action around the area will work away whatever you have on there.

Charles! long time no see!

If you have a garage and a worklight, you should be able to see it better..

How's it going? I have been working under a work light. This stuff sucks.

I would give clay another chance.

And don't park under trees!;)

I don't. Lol :D. I have no idea where it came from. It may be some type of tar.

My suggestion is IPA cut 50/50 with water, followed by Adams Waterless Wash or Detail Spray...works like a charm!

Thanks I will give that a try.

I don't know if people just haven't thought of this but tree sap is pretty much sugar and water. I'd say go at it with a hot rag and leave it on the spot for a second then go with a clay bar and rub it off, the heat will loosen it. definitely the cheapest option, and remember to reseal it whatever you do cause all that action around the area will work away whatever you have on there.

Tried heat and it took the top layer off, but still left a mark.

So do you rub the butter over the sap or leave it sit on the sap and wip away?

Out of the Frying Pan: 24 Unusual Uses for Butter | Wise Bread

Dislodge sticky sap by rubbing on a pat of butter with a micro-fiber cloth or other soft material. Wipe until the butter and the sap are gone. No scratches.

Also have 2008 Blk Acura MDX that is parked in the drive under a pine tree. The Challenger is safe under cover.

Since I neglected to get the pine sap off with WD-40 in several places, it dried, rock hard into white "stalagtite" on the clear coat over the past 5 months.

Tried the usual suspects, including a clay bar, which helped smooth it and take the white color out. Now the sap matches the paint, but it was a bump... until tonite.

I took a few ice cubes and place it on the dried sap for about 2 minutes. Once it got really cold, I lightly rub the ice cube on the spot I was working on. I heard a tiny little click. Sure enough, the sap snapped off the paint. I continued to rub in a circular motion until the leading edges came unstuck then rubbed with a soft rag.

Sap gone, tree sap that is. Finish nearly restored.

Here's the theory: The tree sap and the sheet metal have different temperature
Coefficient
of expansion. One of the two points contracted faster, and released from the surface.

I finished the area with another claying and it's slippery smooth. Next up is to wash, clay the whole body, polish and wax.....after the Challenger's care and feeding, of course.

Never have to fear Pine Sap again as this is a cheap easy solution that left no scratches or marks. Clean and easy.

I ve tried the following to remove tree sap from a used Jeep I just picked up yesterday; WD 40, bug and tar remover,IPA, clay and Adams APC. All with very limited success. Haven t tried butter yet but that may be the next step.

is there anything else I should be trying?