Customer Service 866.965.0400

newbie questions

grand damnit

Question

Ok so first off, thanks for the advice.

I have used the porter cable before and some product but looking to buy my own stuff (borrowed a buddies before). My paint is in good shape to begin with, so I am thinking of just the swirl/haze (not the severe), polish, machine sealant, and glaze.

Now never having used the glaze before, if I understand it correctly, I would apply the glaze after I apply the machine sealant?

How many of you guys apply the carnuba wax in addition to the machine sealant?

Thanks!

23 answers to this question

Yes we all love to use BG and a wax after the sealant. It's the perfect process for some "face melt" as some of us like to call it. :D

You can apply both BG and APW or Buttery after MSS. Just remember you must apply MSS and let it sit for 25-30 minutes then wipe away. From there let the MSS cure for at least 12 hours. Then you can apply BG and APW or Buttery.

Another way to go about the sealant process is to pick up some QS which only needs 30 minutes to cure.

You can also search "Sealant" here on the forum for some other useful tips on MSS and QS. Another good thing to do is go thru and watch all the Instructional Videos!

I will always follow up the Sealant (whether it is the Quick Sealant or the MSS) with Brilliant Glaze and then wax. I do like to let the sealant on the vehicle for 24 hours+ before I do the glaze and wax.

Curious as to why you have to let the machine sealant sit for a full day after you apply/buff it off? I might go thru withdrawls not driving that long :) jk.

Also, my paint is in pretty good shape as it stands...so would I be doing any damage to the clear coat by using the polish before the sealant? (also assuming I wouldnt have any real need at this point to use the swirl/haze stuff).

my plans so far are as follows:

1. wash

2. claybar

3. machine polish

4. machine snt

5.beer

6. glaze

7. americana

8. beer

Thanks!

Curious as to why you have to let the machine sealant sit for a full day after you apply/buff it off? I might go thru withdrawls not driving that long :) jk.

Also, my paint is in pretty good shape as it stands...so would I be doing any damage to the clear coat by using the polish before the sealant? (also assuming I wouldnt have any real need at this point to use the swirl/haze stuff).

my plans so far are as follows:

1. wash

2. claybar

3. machine polish

4. machine snt

5.beer

6. glaze

7. americana

8. beer

Thanks!

1. Strip wash (add some APC with the Car Shampoo in your bucket)

2. Claybar w/ DS or WW

3. Machine w/ SHR (recommend doing 2'x2' area and perfecting that area, see what it takes, then do process on whole car, chances are you will need SHR everywhere, our paint loves swirls)

4. Machine w/ FMP

5. WW Wipe Down

6. Beer

7. Hand Apply Quick Sealant (if you want to use MSS, you will have to wait 12 hours, then WW wipe down, then apply BG and Americana)

8. Beer

9. BG

10. Americana

11. Beer

if you use the Quick Sealant, you don't have to wait 12-24 hours cure time, you can add the BG and Americana right away.. however, it doesn't last as long as MSS

I understand that it isn't necessary but I like to allow it to cure for 24 hours before moving on to the Brilliant.

Only thing I could add to these guys recommended procedures would be to add a step with Revive after the clay bar and before moving on to Machine Polish. The Revive will do additional cleaning of the paint and will make the final result look better.

MSS should sit for 20-30 minutes before buffing off. The 12-24 hour wait is to let it cure before adding anything else on top. Once it is wiped off you don't have to let it sit before driving. A warning that MSS can haze within 12-24 hours, but I have not had this issue.

Yes we all love to use BG and a wax after the sealant. It's the perfect process for some "face melt" as some of us like to call it. :D

You can apply both BG and APW or Buttery after MSS. Just remember you must apply MSS and let it sit for 25-30 minutes then wipe away. From there let the MSS cure for at least 12 hours. Then you can apply BG and APW or Buttery.

Another way to go about the sealant process is to pick up some QS which only needs 30 minutes to cure.

You can also search "Sealant" here on the forum for some other useful tips on MSS and QS. Another good thing to do is go thru and watch all the Instructional Videos!

Is there anything stamped in concrete that says you absolutely have to apply MSS with a buffer? I realize it's faster but by the time you clean up the buffing pad I can have it applied in no time at all. You have to apply it, in tight spaces, by hand. So again, I don't see any reason to get a pad dirty.

Over a large panel it will be hard to get a thing even coat by hand. This is why the machine is best for aplication. removing a thick coat coudl be a real challenge

Tks! Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am aware of putting to much product down. I've become pretty good at laying down products that require just a thin coat. But, to be on the safe side I'll go with the buffing pad.

Doing all the work on a detail job is something I thoroughly enjoy. However, it's all that clean up work that I don't look forward to. And so far, there is nothing I can bribe the wife with to get her to do it. :bow:

Is there anything stamped in concrete that says you absolutely have to apply MSS with a buffer? I realize it's faster but by the time you clean up the buffing pad I can have it applied in no time at all. You have to apply it, in tight spaces, by hand. So again, I don't see any reason to get a pad dirty.

Nothing in concrete, but I have discovered that when it is applied by hand it is much harder to get an even thin coat, and it is MUCH harder to buff off. Also when doing tight spaces, those are the perfect places to use the Quick Sealant.

Is there anything stamped in concrete that says you absolutely have to apply MSS with a buffer?

Aside from the Product Name?

:pc: Designed for use with a Machine. :thumbsup:

ok so after watching a few videos, I want to clarify...

when using the swirl/haze you machine it until it "flashes" then you dont bother wiping it clean..you simply go straight to the polish?

It's much easier, once you get your process down, to just apply all your polishes, then remove them. It saves a ton of time. Figure, you are getting the process down by testing a 2'x2' spot, you know what's going to work, unless you absolutely need to wipe it off between steps, why bother?

I would recommend however, making sure the surface is completely clean of polish residue before moving into MSS, QS, or Wax.

Mook

FAQ Proper Microfiber Care

I use an HE no dye, fragrance, or anything in it liquid on LOW temp wash, extra soak & rinse. I also spot treat with All Purpose Cleaner.

I will be getting the Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener as well.

:thumbsup: Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

I can't believe you dont have it yet. If you want to try it before you buy it, let me know, I am literally right down the road.

1. Strip wash (add some APC with the Car Shampoo in your bucket)

2. Claybar w/ DS or WW

3. Machine w/ SHR (recommend doing 2'x2' area and perfecting that area, see what it takes, then do process on whole car, chances are you will need SHR everywhere, our paint loves swirls)

4. Machine w/ FMP

5. WW Wipe Down

6. Beer

7. Hand Apply Quick Sealant (if you want to use MSS, you will have to wait 12 hours, then WW wipe down, then apply BG and Americana)

8. Beer

9. BG

10. Americana

11. Beer

I think you left out a beer :cheers: