Customer Service 866.965.0400

Sealing, Glaze, Wax on Carbon Fiber

TAP135

Question

Sorry if I am a little off subject here.

Just wondering it I could use the quick Sealant, Brilliant Glaze and Buttery wax on a carbon fiber bicycle?

The bike it has a matt finish which attracts grease and is a pain to keep clean. I think I remember reading that you can use the sealant on any non-porous material. I think the carbon might be porous because the way the grease sticks to it.

any suggestions appreciated.

thanks

19 answers to this question

I'm not looking to dress up the bike but trying to seal it to make cleaning it easier because the matte (non glossy) finish seems to attract grease and I can only get it off by using a degreaser on a paper towel and even that's not easy.

I'll try the quick sealant on an area on the front forks and I have some SVRT coming this week.

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by TAP135

I hope this give you an indication of the finish. Let me know if it doesn't I could do more pics.

The pics are not coming out like they usually do on my other forum. Not sure why.

Edited by TAP135

That helps.

I'd stick to soap/water washing. Detail Spray or Waterless for wipe downs and thats about it. If you really want to apply something for protection I'd go Quick Sealant.

Not looking for protectant, just trying to find something that will help me get the grease off easy.

Are the detail spray and waterless degreasers?

Thanks for the help.

He's answering your question for help in grease removal by offering advice that applying QS will help the surface be "slicker" thus allowing the grease to not build up as quickly.

Detail Spray is a quick detailer and claybar lubricant. Waterless Wash is just that--a waterless cleaner. That said, it has to be pretty mild, so there isn't any de-greaser in it.

If you want to de-grease something, APC is your best bet. It's 4-5x stronger than some stuff that looks similar to Midori.

Mook

Mook is correct Tom... no degreasing power (really) in either DS or WW... Detail Spray will actually deposit a gloss enhancer on the surface. Not enough to make matte finishes shine, but it does leave something behind.

If you're looking to degrease a surface the APC diluted heavily with water will be fine. The stronger the grease contamination the stronger the concentration of APC you should use.

I have a Trek 6.9 SSL.. Full Carbon Fiber. I use only Simple Green to clean everything, from the wheels which are Carbon Fiber and the whole Bike. I have not used any QS on it. To scared to mess up the thing. Not a cheap hobby.

The Simple Green works really good espically on cleaning the the whole drive train.

Simple Green Bike Foaming Degreaser - 20oz in Tree Fort Bikes Degreaser (cat179)

I have a Trek 6.9 SSL.. Full Carbon Fiber. I use only Simple Green to clean everything, from the wheels which are Carbon Fiber and the whole Bike. I have not used any QS on it. To scared to mess up the thing. Not a cheap hobby.

The Simple Green works really good espically on cleaning the the whole drive train.

Simple Green Bike Foaming Degreaser - 20oz in Tree Fort Bikes Degreaser (cat179)

I have a Specialized Roubaix Pro and no it is not a cheap hobby. I never had any problems cleaning any of my other bikes until this one. It has a matt finish and nothing just wipes off. Everything just smears. I've used the regular simple green which doesn't work. I have an industrial degreaser which I use by hand with paper towels to hand wipe it. It's white so everything shows.

Edited by TAP135

I have a Specialized Roubaix Pro and no it is not a cheap hobby. I never had any problems cleaning any of my other bikes until this one. It has a matt finish and nothing just wipes off. Everything just smears. I've used the regular simple green which doesn't work. I have an industrial degreaser which I use by hand with paper towels to hand wipe it. It's white so everything shows.

Mine is also a Matte Finish. Matte Black with deep blue outline.. I just cleaned it last night with Simple Green. Only problem was on frame under crank. Used alittle diluted All Purpose cleaner sprayed on it, and took the road grease off,, Not sure if I would use APC full strength on drive train. Not sure if it would damage any seals or not. I know not to use Purple Power on it any more!!!!!!!!!

But from the pics you got a nice ride. My other bike is a Specialized Tarmac. Heck I think I clean my bike as much as my wife's Tahoe. Or so she says.. :willy:

Anyway, good luck,, let me know if you find something different to clean it.. I know that simple green spray worked really good.. :rockon:

APC is about 4x stronger at Full Strength than the competitor's product. I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that linking to another competing product is against forum rules.

OP, we are here to support our customers and our products first and foremost. I hope you have found your answers.

Mook