Customer Service 866.965.0400

Terrible Brake Dust Issue..

F150

Question

Lately i've been posting to Adams alot more frequently...

I guess it's just because im trying to perfect my truck..

Well! Here are a few shots of the wheel, and the inside... Trust me, these wheels are a pain to take care of..

post-7775-13681808304_thumb.jpg

post-7775-136818083048_thumb.jpg

17 answers to this question

With a wheel like that you're gonna struggle no matter what... I know there are some on here that will say "YOU NEED THE FANCY COLOR CHANGING WHEEL CLEANER FROM XYZ COMPANY!" but even a cleaner like that is going to need agitation to address caked on dust like that.

It might actually be easiest to crank your wheels all the way to one side, get under the truck and clean from the back side. Turn them the other way, repeat.

Its just one of those wheel designs that wasn't meant to have clean barrels.

FIRST WHEEL PIC

What a horrible way to design a wheel. the barrel has an inside lip. Any time you wheels get wet I bet you see a puddle of water inside your rim. My suggestion, is change those rims if you can. I personally don't think that's break dust...that's corrosion.

If you cant afford new rims right now....

I would suggest taking them off, giving them a good cleaning and topping them off with some MP and Spray sealant. This way the brake dust wont cake on them so easy.

Do this every couple months if you can.

Edited by BlueGenCoupe

With a wheel like that you're gonna struggle no matter what... I know there are some on here that will say "YOU NEED THE FANCY COLOR CHANGING WHEEL CLEANER FROM XYZ COMPANY!" but even a cleaner like that is going to need agitation to address caked on dust like that.

It might actually be easiest to crank your wheels all the way to one side, get under the truck and clean from the back side. Turn them the other way, repeat.

Its just one of those wheel designs that wasn't meant to have clean barrels.

:lol: assuming he has OEM pads when the previous owner replaced them "fancy color changing wheel cleaner" isnt going todo much if anything since they are not irony like the germans use. my mini's brakes dont seem as bad either since Mini swiched to a less sticky brake pad so i just use GWC which works good. Now on the A6 thats another story, Fancy color changing wheel cleaner is the only thing that keeps me from sitting there for 2 hours cleaning ;)

American cars dont seem to matter whether you use fancy cleaner or APC/GWC even my NV doesnt do well with fancy cleaner :hi:

Ethan, pull your tires and spray some APC cleaner, let it sit for a few minutes, dont let it dry though and continue to agitate. its going to take a while then after they are done and dry hit them with QS and call it day. also looks like you need to get some focus pads and polish em

Ahh yes... The "Wrought Aluminum" wheels... I had those on a '97 I drove when they jacked my order on my truck and had to reorder it. Hard to clean for sure...

My wheels black up like mad, but that's due to the pads I'm running. Needless to say, I won't run those again. Gets some better pads and you'll be set.

Chris

Pretty sure the Fancy Color Change is all for gimmick, but that's not for this thread.

Those have a ton of junk on them don't they? You may have to use some Wheel Acid on those to get them back to happy. From there, use some QS to protect them, and stay on top of them with either GWC, or a Car Shampoo/Water mixture once they are happy.

Pretty sure the Fancy Color Change is all for gimmick, but that's not for this thread.

Those have a ton of junk on them don't they? You may have to use some Wheel Acid on those to get them back to happy. From there, use some QS to protect them, and stay on top of them with either GWC, or a Car Shampoo/Water mixture once they are happy.

Mook, if you want me to ill do a comparison video on the audi rims, one rim with GWC, one with APC and the other with Fancy color changing wheel cleaner, ill do it closed so just the adams team sees it.

it is a HUGE difference, GWC/APC doesnt touch the brake dust and even with agitation there is still brake residue, fancy cleaner is pretty much spray, wait/hose. i agitate deep in the barrels and hard to reach areas but if on the face/sides its spotless. :thumbsup: it really is phenomenal stuff, i wish adams would make their own version, and an iron cut product for the paint.

Not trying to be smart or anything but do you understand why it changes color and how it works?

Its a different tool for the battle, like i said GWC works perfect on my mini's rims and Nissan van, GWC doesnt touch my moms yukon rims but APC works great on that where fancy wheel cleaner doesnt do much of anything on the above listed :thumbsup: it depends on the brake pads installed on the car

Mook, if you want me to ill do a comparison video on the audi rims, one rim with GWC, one with APC and the other with Fancy color changing wheel cleaner, ill do it closed so just the adams team sees it.

it is a HUGE difference, GWC/APC doesnt touch the brake dust and even with agitation there is still brake residue, fancy cleaner is pretty much spray, wait/hose. i agitate deep in the barrels and hard to reach areas but if on the face/sides its spotless. :thumbsup: it really is phenomenal stuff, i wish adams would make their own version, and an iron cut product for the paint.

Not trying to be smart or anything but do you understand why it changes color and how it works?

Its a different tool for the battle, like i said GWC works perfect on my mini's rims and Nissan van, GWC doesnt touch my moms yukon rims but APC works great on that where fancy wheel cleaner doesnt do much of anything on the above listed :thumbsup: it depends on the brake pads installed on the car

Be careful, you might get banned for a week...

Earned and deserved...

Anyways, to help the OP out. I've got a buddy that used 2000 grit wet sand paper to remove 43 years worth of the worst stuff from a set of raw aluminum wheels before he began hitting them with polish. He actually wrapped the paper around one of the grey foam blocks to help the paper be more forgiving and not damage any of the machine marks on the wheel.

He sent me these from his phone:

Before

Before01.jpg

After

After.jpg

Edited by BRZN

Holy crap, that's awesome! Well! Brendon! All i need are jacks and stands, and I can take the wheels off, But on another thread i was talking about getting rid of the truck.... I'm talking to a few dealers about P71 Interceptors.... Blacked out interceptor with 15% tint? I think so, haha. :jester:

You guys should look into getting ceramic pads. They barely create dust at all. It could be a good project to pull off your wheels and clean them up while swapping out the pads.

My budding finally listened to me and put some on his X5 a few months back. When he did it, I cleaned & sealed up his wheels real well and you know how bad BMW's produce brake dust. He thanks me every time now since there is barely anymore dust on his wheels.