Customer Service 866.965.0400

Curiosity Lands on Mars

slowman

i dont think anyone is being rude.

Pretty much everything technology we have today is because of NASA or *loosly* based on NASA technology...the reason we have theses things is because when NASA was founded it was written in the books that anything NASA develops MUST make their research,Ideas & products available to the private sector.

Nasa is an incredible organization and off all the things that this radical left president has cut to put more money towards social programs and bailouts that didnt work leaves US, THE UNITED STATES forced to PAY THE RUSSIANS to take an american up to the space station.

The reason why were so excited about this program, and putting this rover on mars is because of the technology that WE THE PUBLIC will get to enjoy 10-20 years from now. Now that being said its also bitter sweet because unless something radical changes in washington this is most definitely the last of this type of mission for ever.

Once we loose the great minds at nasa (48% of them are gone because of out presidents LIES and shutting down the shuttle program) we more then likely wont have great minds that can share the experiences for the next generation, making us fall 2nd, third even last to the rest of the countries. This is where it becomes dangerous because when the russians/Chinese surpass us in space tech then we loose national security IE communications/data/weapons and the list goes on and on and we HAVE TO PAY THEM FOR THEIR TECHNOLOGY.

Im so sick and tired of watching the news and seeing out president pull back door deals, executive orders and cutting VITAL programs like our military and NASA to help "cut spending" to line politicians pockets and to have more money for handouts and govenment mooching boobs.

If even 1/4 of our nation understood what nasa does then this mindset of "its just stupid space exploration" could go away and people could actually appreciate what it is and what they do. So do we blame the schools for this? loosly on the progressive movement or just the fact that nobody has a real idea or care to understand? :(

rant OFF, sorry Brandi this really isnt directed at you and I mean that.

Edited by 3PedalMINI

Being a "science nerd" I don't fully grasp all that goes into these projects or the physics behind it (always a problem for me college wise). But the importance of these "new" missions and of the utmost, just like that if the first and subsequent moon landings...what did we learn? A whole lot! What do we not know? Even more!!! The reason is curiosity...gaining and understanding of knowledge, leaps forward require small steps first and one day we will send man to that red planet, perhaps terriform it. Make it habitable once again and start a new world...in a way it's our ultimate destiny (no not that dancer you met that one time lol) but our cultural and biological destiny to go elsewhere and explore/ ravenge, depending on your own particular perspective that is....I'm all for the space program, I think it deserves more funding, my first word as a child wasnt "mommy" or "daddy" mind was "oon" was trying to say moon haha. The world is an ever shrinking place and we need space (no pun intended) we need to explore its in our genes, however it's also in our genes, I believe, to behave more like a virus than a species. We consume EVERYTHING and replinsh almost nothing we are, until we change..again, an epidemic to the world and a virus that sucks the life out of its host. And what's a virus do? It spreads..it's our nature as a people.

I believe we will reach great heights and do great things but as with anything the temptation of power and the lust for more, if not controlled by reason and a 'for the good of all people' mentality is not upheld, which I think NASA does very well, then we are all stagnant fish in a very small pond

Brandy I don't think any of us were on the attack. I agree w/ you that money can be spent here but the point we were trying to make was exactly as Brendon explained.

The Space program is key To our future but nobody quite understands why.

Spending is at its all time high with this administration and so called president.

Wastefully spending 5 trillion could've of helped exactly what you described in your earlier post and have trillions leftover for other important things in this country. Including the Space program.

But talking about this administration is just wasting my oxygen. The important thing is what advances we made due to the technology that was developed from NASA & the Space program.

Please do not feel like we were trying to attack you because that is so far from it.

We just want to educate people about the benefits of NASA and the private sector space programs. Plus the impact that they have created and will create in the future.

If you feel I was in any way being Rude ..my sincere apologies.

Edited by Mongosg8

Once we loose the great minds at nasa (48% of them are gone because of out presidents LIES and shutting down the shuttle program) we more then likely wont have great minds that can share the experiences for the next generation, making us fall 2nd, third even last to the rest of the countries.

Space Shuttle program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In an internal e-mail apparently sent August 18, 2008 to NASA managers and leaked to the press, NASA Administrator Michael Griffin stated his belief that the Bush administration had made no viable plan for U.S. crews to participate in the International Space Station beyond 2011, and that Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) were actually seeking its demise."

Chris ..nice attachment.

I remember President Bush stating publicly that he thought are participation in the ISS will slowly dwindle so we can expand and explore other opportunities. But I never knew that the Space Shuttle would be killed because of this.

I still think his plan for more exploration of the moon should've taken place. I have read that mining for Helium 3 on the moon would be an advantage. Helping our energy crisis but Im still educating myself with this theory.

I think it's great that things are being explored but I do think the economy is suffering enough and that our military and other projects could have benefited more than us landing on mars.

I believe this money was spent LONG ago... LONG before any major issues. I see your point, but I also know that if we stop looking outside our own world, we stop being human. This is what humans have done forever. We just do it OFF earth now. lol

I'd like to see more of our oceans depths explored too... :2thumbs:

Plus, if we aren't leading the world in science and exploration, China, India, Russia, etc will gladly take our place.

PS -- I think it's wholly unfair to blame any one current or past president for the funding of our space program -- it's Congress that decides how our money is spent. If you want a viable US space program, write your congressmen. :patriot:

Plus, if we aren't leading the world in science and exploration, China, India, Russia, etc will gladly take our place.

PS -- I think it's wholly unfair to blame any one current or past president for the funding of our space program -- it's Congress that decides how our money is spent. If you want a viable US space program, write your congressmen. :patriot:

Watch This, its a pretty powerful segment:

President's broken promises

it is all on the president, he promised and he could have allowed the program to continue. How hard would it be to the guy that shook the presidents hand, gave him a tour of nasa then LOOSE his job a few years later because of direct actions of the guy you gave a tour to . :(

Edited by 3PedalMINI

Watch This, its a pretty powerful segment:

President's broken promises

it is all on the president, he promised and he could have allowed the program to continue. How hard would it be to the guy that shook the presidents hand, gave him a tour of nasa then LOOSE his job a few years later because of direct actions of the guy you gave a tour to . :(

I'm just saying that no one president can or should bear all the heat -- ever changing plans, priorities, promises, dreams, realities, political tides, public opinion, etc. have historically made NASA have to readjust through the years. Go back and look at all the NASA plans that had to be scrapped when Bush decided to minimize emphasis on the ISS and instead shoot for a return to the moon, a moon base, and eventual trip to Mars. Had NASA not been shot off on that tangent who knows where we'd be on a replacement shuttle, ISS involvement, Mars exportation, a probe to Europa, new telescopes, etc.? And before that the Apollo program was cut short (Apollo 18, 19 and 20, I think) partially due to pressure from Nixon and NASA's new interest/objectives in Skylab. It's a game that goes round and round (no pun intended). If you really want to politicize it and cast blame, ask yourself -- how much more funding would today's president have to give NASA -- whether it be Obama, McCain, Romney or someone else -- if the nation hadn't borrowed trillions to pay for Iraq and Afghanistan? Or the Bank Bailouts? Or GM/Chrylser? Sadly, there just aren't easy answers -- Ask any 5 people to prioritize those spending commitments and you'll get 5 different opinions on which ones are worthy and which are a waste.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Video shows landing of Curiosity from jetison of heat shield to touchdown.

http://www.nasa.gov/mp4/680137main_droppingin20120822-320-jpl.mp4

Amazing..who would think we would ever see HD video of this taking place and the odds of this landing actually being successful. I watch this in awe knowing this is taking place on another planet millions of miles away.

God Bless the U.S.A.!

• 5 weeks later...
Didnt see a video

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Sorry Jon for the slow reply. Didn't realize you left a post. It is still there. You just have to scroll halfway down the page to see it. Here is the link again.

Rover sends first human voice from Mars - Technology & science - Space - Space.com | NBC News

Below link is something new today.

NASA - NASA Rover Finds Old Streambed on Martian Surface

• 2 weeks later...