Customer Service 866.965.0400

detailing training

moecaballero

Question

I'm a newbie there ain't no doubt about it. Nevertheless I have thought about doing detailing on the side for mostly friends and family only cause they make fun of the fact that I am a perfectionist. So my question is, are there any great schools out there? I have Google'd the web and I get drug back to "the detail king". Eh, the website is a little shady so I really don't trust it. But hey, I could be wrong. Let me know what you all think:help:

15 answers to this question

The best advice I can give anyone that uses our products are to continually watch our Volume 8 Instructional video. Detailing School? I tend to think that you only get really good or great with this if you are always using the machines and perfecting your technique.

Honestly, Adam's videos will teach you everything you need to know about the proper way to detail. I for one learned a few new tricks, but no amount of schooling will replace experience. You need to perfect your skills on your own vehicle before you ever touch someone else's. You never want to screw up something on someones car, then its money out of your pocket.

Study the Adam's videos, over and over, go buy a hood or door from a junk yard and practice practice practice!! No need to pay someone what you can learn on your own at your own pace.

Experience is the most important thing... there are a couple of detailing 'schools' around the country, but the catch is generally they are trying to sell you into becoming a distributor of whatever specific product line is sponsoring them at the moment. Ends up almost feeling like one of those time-share things where you get hard sold at the end.

You don't need a school, you just need education. I got the majority of my detailing knowledge from watching the Adam's Instructional Videos, going to countless clinics, asking lots of questions and reading all I could on the forums here, and just hanging out with the Adam's users and the rest of the Shine Team. And practice practice practice. I didn't go to any school. Just keep doing it, learn from your mistakes, and perfect your technique. It worked for me, and I was just voted the number 1 detailer in Denver and I have only been professionally detailing for less than a year.

Where are you located in California? While not a school I have learned from Dylan, Ashley and Adam, among others, plus working events and hosting detail clinics. Happy to help if you are near Northridge.

Bruce

Honestly, you don't need training, it's very hard to mess up with Adam's products they are very user friendly. Also when you have a question the instructional video's are a great help. I learned a lot from hanging with Adam at Carlisle. I started doing just hand detailing then moved up to the Porter Cable. Am now planning on purchasing a Flex over the winter. If you are doing hand detailing I would do these steps: Adam's Wash, Clay Bar, Revive, Quick Sealant, Brilliant Glaze and finally either wax, Buttery or Americana. Using those steps your vehicle will come out looking awesome.

Find out if any one close to your area is on the forum,,, attend any of the car shows that Adams goes to.. You might hook up with some of the cats on here and work with them on demos at the shows. That can Help. I went to one in Orlando and met some great cats that helped me out. Plus got to try out the flex and all. Made some friends I hope also. Mike and Mike were great and alot of info at the show. Had a great time.

Check news and events page on here. See what car shows might be near you and attend them. PLUS PRACTICE MAKE PERFECT. :2thumbs: