Customer Service 866.965.0400

Job interview suggestions

Captain Slow

In the interest of helping fellow Adam's forum members and their families I'd like to offer some suggestions on how to have a successful job interview.

First let me relate our experience from this week to illustrate a few points. On Monday we had three interviews lined up at 9, 10 & 11 AM. The 9 o'clock appointment was on time, neatly dressed and prepared for the interview. The other two were 5 & 8 minutes late respectively. Neither one mentioned being late or even offered an apology. One was appropriately dressed but the last one looked like we had disturbed their morning nap. The 10 o'clock interviewee when asked for their weaknesses quickly responded "I don't have any." Apparently modesty and tardiness never entered their mind. The last one seemed to be running in s l o w m o t i o n and uninterested.

Anyone want to guess which one we called back for a second interview on Wednesday ? BTW: This person is coming back not for the original position but one higher up because this person wowed us.

For those of you entering or re-entering the job market a few simple suggestions:

Show up a little early. If it's at 9 be in the parking lot at quarter til and signed in at the front desk at ten til the hour.

Be neat and clean in your appearance, leave the cologne/perfume at home.

Be prepared to answer questions and also be ready to ask questions.

Bring copies of your resume' so the interviewers don't have to pass it around.

Writing out your life experience on legal pad paper then photocopying it does not make for an impressive resume'.

Be honest answering questions. Remember, a lot of companies background check so if we're asking about your history in that 2nd or 3rd interview chances are we're seeing if we are talking to an honest person or not.

H R managers or business owners please feel free to chime in. This is off the top of my head and as tired as I am I know I'm missing some points.

Edited by sportredmistress

I'm going to give up a secret winner of mine that I do to help benefit others. However, I will be very upset if any of you use it against me one day if we're both applying to the same job!

As I work in IT, I have a QR code on my resume. It directs to my name, e-mail, phone #.

People love it, think it is extremely awesome and innovative.

I'm bad at telling people what to do in interviews, but I can also help answer questions as I'm one of those "natural interviewees." I always nail interviews, am never nervous and never get stumped by a question.

The only advice I can think off the top of my head is, when that question comes up about having weaknesses, a good answer that's always worked for me is "sometimes I try to take on too much work having an initiative personality, that it makes me lose focus on minor projects and overwork myself." You can of course always rebut stating how you're correcting that though (Don't use that line unless you're actually a hard worker and do do a lot at every job).

As for the weakness question, I feel like the best answer is secretly a strength that has a bit of misguided direction.

e.g. "I often check my email too much, but I'm working on devoting portions of my workday solely for this so I am more productive in the other hours"

Also some tips from back when I was seriously job hunting that I found useful/quirky:

- If you are handing in a resume, order a pizza and put your resume in a clear plastic envelope thing (can't think of the name of them). Tape it to the inside of the box lid.

- Normal print offs of paper are 8.5x11. Try to find some paper that is slightly larger so yours stands out.

I have to go on boards for my promotions. It's basically an interview. I don't get nervous really and don't fumble my words so I never really had to worry about that. The things under people screw up on are mainly spit out chewing gum or anything else in your mouth. Take out all your peircings and cover up tattoos that you can easily. When you are speaking to someone give direct eye contact and let them know that your addressing them. If multiple people in the interview make short eye contact with the others but focuse on who is asking you questions. Don't slouch in your chair or tap your feet. Don't wear a ball cap and t shirt unless your applying for a job that's has no dress code.

Thays it for the normal bad habits. Now you want some slick tips ;)

Go and find out of the company has a mission statement or something they try and go buy. If so make yourself familiar with it and relate it to you during the interview. Look and see what the company participates in while off duty. Look around the office and see if the boss is a sports fan and what team then become an instant fan. Don't BS yourself into a whole but you gotta BS a little and be smooth about it.

I find taping a $100 bill to your resume' works well.:glasses:

Be honest answering questions. Remember, a lot of companies background check so if we're asking about your history in that 2nd or 3rd interview chances are we're seeing if we are talking to an honest person or not.

Yes, it's always worse to get caught in a lie than to be honest about your shortcomings. Even if you manage to get the job, you'll likely be fired when they find out you weren't truthful on your resume/interview. If you're lacking in one area but they like everything else, you still have a chance.

Edited by Redbeard

Have questions to ask the interviewer as it shows you have done some research on the company. Have several questions ready as one or two may have already been touched upon in the interview.

Answer their question before expanding the reply. Don't give out too much personal information. The fact you like to coach youth sports leads to how many kids you have and their ages. You never know what the interviewer's predigests are and the informal talk before or after the interview could get you cut from the process.

And for many the cow's have already left the barn on this one, but think long and hard about having a tattoo in any place that can't be easily covered up, and always kept covered during your employment. While they're a lot more common these days, there's still a huge portion of society that doesn't care for them... and a lot of those people are your potential bosses. Most employers want to put clean, polished, non-controversial employees in front of their customers. With the wrong tattoo in the wrong place, you walk into that interview at a disadvantage.

PROOF READ YOUR RESUME!!! If I find a spelling error, it goes directly in the garbage, no matter how incredibly qualified you may be. Do not pass GO, no not collect $200.

Incorrect grammar gets a pass on very rare occasions.

+1 here. Incorrect grammar makes me [sIC].

PROOF READ YOUR RESUME!!! If I find a spelling error, it goes directly in the garbage, no matter how incredibly qualified you may be. Do not pass GO, no not collect $200.

Incorrect grammar gets a pass on very rare occasions.

I used to do hiring for our graphic arts department, and it was shocking how many resumes we recieved that were full of typos and misspellings. They generally didn't get a second look. My feeling was that if they let a typo get by on their resume, it would just be a disaster waiting to happen with a client's big job going to press with a mistake in it.