Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cars at car auctions!??????

Green Machine

Question

I have been sick and at home so I have been watching a lot of TV has anyone ever noticed that a lot of cars on some shows and at car auctions have really crappy or swirly looking paint!???? I am not talking about barn finds or original untouched cars but custom ones where I would think the paint should be perfect. What's the deal?????? This maybe in the wrong forum so I apologize ahead of time!

11 answers to this question

It's everywhere...yesterday I took my wife to test drive a new Audi and through casual conversation the salesman directed me to a Porsche GT they had across the street at their sister dealership. First time I saw this car in person and it is AWESOME! Really a work of art. But as you would guess, it had tons of swirl marks and other indications it wasn't washed using the 2 bucket rule. Seeing it this way caused me physical pain... I would have offered a free detailing if I thought the owner would care...

I did hang an Adam's double soft out the window hoping the GT would follow me home...no such luck. LOL

Edited by teamcrossworks

Let me tell you from experience, most of those people trade those cars like baseball cards and it's only like 3 maybe people out of 10 that are auctioning off their car that care. As long as its clean.

As has been discussed in other threads, you see this over and over at shows. People have amazing cars that they barely drive and mostly just bring out to events, yet they don't take the time to get the finish looking its best. It's funny that most of us on this forum give more attention to our daily drivers than a lot of folks give their show cars.:pc:Particularly the auction cars are viewed as investments, so you'd think the owner would invest another couple hundred towards proper detailing.

Remember many of these cars go to big time collectors and get put in a large warehouse and left there. They are not driven often if at all between when it is purchased and when it turns back up at another auction. Usually the owner has a large collection and has some people that take care of them. Now you know they do not pull each car out, hand washed regularly, and detail like most of the forum members do. Most likely someone goes through the shop where they are parked and dry wipes them. Also if you watch the major auction, you will see the handlers wiping the cars down before they go on the block, I cannot remember ever seeing them spray anything on the finish prior to wiping them down and lets remember I am sure sitting and waiting there is a lot of dust that settles on them.

dealerships new and used are the worst offenders. Two years ago, when we purchased the wife's GMC Acadia, I sat there and watched the lot guy go around with a towel and dry off one car after another. Because it had just been delivered, I told our salesman, not to let anyone touch it. I would detail once we got it home. He asked why as that was part of the deal for them to turn over a nice clean new car. I simply pointed out the issue with the one towel fits all issue.

This fact is part of what made taking Adam's GTO thru the stage at Barrett Jackson AZ so much fun... the paint was FLAWLESS... the hundreds of cars around it on the way in... not so much.

People, even those not in the least be interested in the GTO, were stopping and gawking at the shine on that red paint. With thousands of cars there, its rare to see anything in less than swirly shape. It doesn't matter much to most people buying cars there... plus they use what we refer to as "auction lighting" on stage which doesn't show much.

It just doesn't make sense! They call themselves car guys but detailing is a major part of being a car guy!!!!!!!

Well I am not sure it is a major part of being a car guy. Don't forget the are waxers and then there are gearheads. Both are car guys, but the gearheads look at the car in a different light then the waxers. Now there are those that fall into both classes and that is a real car guy.

Well I am not sure it is a major part of being a car guy. Don't forget the are waxers and then there are gearheads. Both are car guys, but the gearheads look at the car in a different light then the waxers. Now there are those that fall into both classes and that is a real car guy.

Was it Kierkegaard or Dick Van Patten who said "If you label me, you negate me"?