Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint Correction in the Sun

ralphsmithiii

Question

I posted the corvette forums asking about a product various venders are selling for finding all the swirl marks / imperfections in the cars paint.

The product I am referring to is the Brinkmann Maxfire Dual Xenon Spotlight.

The response I've received thus far is that doing paint correction is best in the sunlight because you can see all of the swirls that way. The assumption is that you are using a compound/polish that can be used in the sun.

My understanding is that all Adams products can be used in the sun, however, from past experience with other products (many carnuba/Turtle Wax, etc...) you could easily bake the product on the car.

So my question/concern is wondering if its OK or preferred to do paint correction in the sun to see the progress of the swirl removal and then machine seal and/or wax in the garage. Or, would it be more beneficial to purchase a light as the one listed above or add shop lights with maybe fluorescent lighting?

20 answers to this question

I am sure it depends on your exact conditions, but for me it is an absolute worst case scenario. Black paint in the direct sun becomes too hot to even touch. My polishes will just cake up and dust leaving me in fits of rage! I have never been able to successfully do it, but that is just me. I also have only done black cars, so that is another factor. I am a bit bitter about it because to this day there are some spots I see where I can't tell if it is a chip in the paint or just dried on polish. That stuff is impossible to remove!

I am sure it depends on your exact conditions, but for me it is an absolute worst case scenario. Black paint in the direct sun becomes too hot to even touch. My polishes will just cake up and dust leaving me in fits of rage! I have never been able to successfully do it, but that is just me. I also have only done black cars, so that is another factor. I am a bit bitter about it because to this day there are some spots I see where I can't tell if it is a chip in the paint or just dried on polish. That stuff is impossible to remove!

Thanks for the response. What I'm wondering now is if a decent LED flash light will be enough to see the swirl marks to check the progress while polishing in my garage. I've even considered getting a canopy to give me more space outside to work with while hopefully providing some shade.

Yes you can use all of Adam's products in the sun, even on black cars in the Summer, trust me I have done it many times @ Corvette Carlisle.

However if I can find shade I would rather work in the garage or shade any day.:2thumbs::pc:

Awesome. So the question is, if you are working in the shade or garage, do you constantly move the car in and out of the shaded area to check the progress? That to me seems like A LOT of time consuming/extra work. Not that I'm lazy, but if I polish a 2x2 panel and need to check it, what's the most efficient way to do so? LED flash light, Brinkman, handing lights, or polish in the sun?

Awesome. So the question is, if you are working in the shade or garage, do you constantly move the car in and out of the shaded area to check the progress? That to me seems like A LOT of time consuming/extra work. Not that I'm lazy, but if I polish a 2x2 panel and need to check it, what's the most efficient way to do so? LED flash light, Brinkman, handing lights, or polish in the sun?

No, I have great lighting in my garage, it shows everything.

And I also have a Brinkman.:thumbsup:

I love my Brinkmann and I use it alot but I agree sunlight will be the best way to find everything.

In the evening or in a garage that may not have the best light I like to use these. I have two sets and they are good to have for other projects around the house. :2thumbs:

To me, nothing beats sunlight. Nothing is more unforgiving for showing every tiny little imperfection in your paint than our copper friend!

Having said that, I agree that polishing in the sun, especially in the dead of summer is taxing. Not only does the polish dry up (use lots and lots of detail spray on your pads) but it dusts the rest of the car and makes it look horrible. Dust and polish marbles also get into all the nooks and crannies (and rubbers!) :willy: (enter lug nut brush!) And I'm not even talking about the sweating while you're in 90-degree weather doing hard labor...

What I usually do is do one panel in the sun to my satisfaction, and then repeat that exact process on the rest of the car in the shade and/or garage. I have to say mine is a DD so I'm not trying to get it concourse. I have a set of lights but I just prefer working outside whenever I can.

To me, nothing beats sunlight. Nothing is more unforgiving for showing every tiny little imperfection in your paint than our copper friend!

Having said that, I agree that polishing in the sun, especially in the dead of summer is taxing. Not only does the polish dry up (use lots and lots of detail spray on your pads) but it dusts the rest of the car and makes it look horrible. Dust and polish marbles also get into all the nooks and crannies (and rubbers!) :willy: (enter lug nut brush!) And I'm not even talking about the sweating while you're in 90-degree weather doing hard labor...

What I usually do is do one panel in the sun to my satisfaction, and then repeat that exact process on the rest of the car in the shade and/or garage. I have to say mine is a DD so I'm not trying to get it concourse. I have a set of lights but I just prefer working outside whenever I can.

This is the approach I was planning on taking. The swirl marks on my car are really only noticeable on the top surfaces (hood, roof, hatch) and not really evident on the sides that I can see.

And yes, I was sweating quite a bit detailing even in my opened up garage which wasn't too fun. Because I think the hood is the most noticeable under sunlight, I am going to try correcting it there again with the Severe swirl polish and pad (since I didn't have it the first time around) and work on perfecting it. I will probably tape off a 2x2 section and maybe even video tape it so I can post it encase I don't get the results I want.

There is no 'one bullet' lighting solution for enthusiasts thats going to be ideal in all situations.

• Sunlight - great for showing everything, but you don't control where it is in the sky in relation to the panels you're working and its not always available... there is no/off switch, plus its constantly moving so unless you happen to position your car perfectly so that the sun moves as you proceed over the car theres always going to be some areas that aren't lit as you'd need them to be.

• Handheld torch - I have the brinkman and its a great light, but it does really only show you a very small area, so unless you inspect the car inch by inch you're not going to get the whole 'truth' of whats happening on the paint.

• Halogen stand - great for lighting up the side of your ride like a mid summer day in death valley, but virtually impossible to get them positioned well over the hood, trunk, roof, when working on those panels.

In almost all cases you're going to need MULTIPLE light sources to inspect your paint. You may need to move in and out of the garage to use the sun at times, you'll need to use a handheld light for some areas, and its preferable to have some halogens to use as well.

Detailing in direct sunlight, while it can be done, is never ideal. It won't cause damage, but its going to make you work harder for every bit of improvement you get. Its very much a 'just because you can, doesn't mean you should' part of our line. They have to work in the sun b/c so often we're doing shows and events where there isn't any other option, but you should detail in shade whenever possible.

HAHA... remember... I'm coming from SoCal... we have 2 seasons here:

Hot and Sunny.

Hotter and Sunnier.

I'm looking forward to having a few days where I step outside and think "WOW... its different!"

Yeah those days with negative highs are certainly different! :lolsmack:

I have read the thread and have a light like the one pictured. I would like to get an opinion on my case. Last year I did a garage correction with the light. It was a pain re-positioning it and having 2 extension cords all over the place from the light and Flex. Is it ok to take my car (red jewel tint) out of the garage (cool paint) and do a Swirl and Haze (maybe Severe Swirl first) in the sun if the temps are mid 60's low 70's like April/May ish. My driveway has sun until 4pm. I could then FMP, BG and Americana in the garage where light isn't so important.

I have read the thread and have a light like the one pictured. I would like to get an opinion on my case. Last year I did a garage correction with the light. It was a pain re-positioning it and having 2 extension cords all over the place from the light and Flex. Is it ok to take my car (red jewel tint) out of the garage (cool paint) and do a Swirl and Haze (maybe Severe Swirl first) in the sun if the temps are mid 60's low 70's like April/May ish. My driveway has sun until 4pm. I could then FMP, BG and Americana in the garage where light isn't so important.

That will work, especially if the paint stays cool. But again, you may have to work smaller sections if the polishes begin to flash quickly.