Customer Service 866.965.0400

NJ turned away help

InDepthAutoDetailing

This is just nuts. North Alabama sent utility crews to NJ to help restore power. They were turned away because they weren't union. Do people without power really care if the workers that get the power back on are union or not. :willy:

Here's a link to the story.

Nonunion Ala. crews turned away from Sandy recovery - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Since I'm originally from South Jersey (born and raised 30+ years), I still listen to NJ101.5 via webcast some days. After reading the article posting above, I heard they had an article on the website where JCP&L denies turning anyone away. So who knows what is really going on, but I guess some of the municipal utilities could be turning away workers, which is ridiculous.

JCP+L Denies Turning Away Non-Union Help [AUDIO]

I havent heard any of this and im in the thick of it. It may also be a logistics thing as well where do you put them? Supply food and fuel we dont have. So wait and see what truth is.

I was hoping you would shed some light on this Dan. Thanks for everything you're doing for those in need back there.

According to the interview I just listened to with Governor Christie, there was some 'miscommunication' about the requirements that resulted in the reports such as the ones reported in this thread. Subsequently he has contacted the utilities and the unions to establish that no one is turned away from helping, union or not. Hopefully this speeds up the process of recovery for all those affected.

Supposedly the non union workers were lead to believe they would need to become affiliated with the Union to work there. The non union people could not get a clarification and left.

I don't blame them for leaving. It's a terrible feeling to want to help someone and then be told you can't because of some superficial reason. I just hope the hard feelings don't run too deep and those who wanted to help are still willing to do so.

How sad that anyone would let union politics get in the way of helping people in need. If only all the folks that had to go so long without power knew what was happening.

It happens EVERYDAY! Look at the actors, and singers pushing for Obama... Wonder why?

Anyway... How horrible... Truly a shame! :mad:

You know who suffers? THE PEOPLE!!!!!!! You think this won't give the union a black eye? :2thumbs:

Chris

It happens EVERYDAY! Look at the actors, and singers pushing for Obama... Wonder why?

Anyway... How horrible... Truly a shame! :mad:

You know who suffers? THE PEOPLE!!!!!!! You think this won't give the union a black eye? :2thumbs:

Chris

And it didn't take long for this statement to come out!

Its cool, tsunami, we send money. earthquakes, we send food and money. War, we send money, any natural disaster, we send medication, food, and money. We get hit by one of the worst super storms in our history..... *CRICKETS* *CRICKETS* *CRICKETS* nobody sends us a damn thing.

anyone else see a problem here?

I get people losing patience with not having power, food and gas after 5 days. But people need to realize they were warned they could be without these things for up to 10 days or more before the storm came and were told to prepare for this.

It really pisses me off that people in Bridgeport, CT would do such things to people trying to help them. My town is right next to Bridgeport and a good majority of our town is still without power not mentioning all the home destroyed on the shore here.

So to say they are being forgotten is just stupid!

I personally don't believe they were turned away. Somebody just trying to stir the pot.

"It is the policy of this union and the companies we represent to welcome assistance during major natural disasters – regardless of union status."

Statement from IBEW President Ed Hill on Hurricane Sandy Clean Up - Democratic Underground