Customer Service 866.965.0400

Claying while washing

ksell87

Question

I didn't find what I was looking for when I searched but I tried something new (to me) this past weekend.

I actually did a strip wash with APC and Shampoo first. I then rinsed the car down. Instead of drying the car and using a bunch of detail spray, I decided to basically wash the car again with one hand and clay with the other. It worked like a charm but I thought I would ask the pros if there are any cons to doing it this way.

Any thoughts?

14 answers to this question

Yep! I will do this as long as there's not a hot sun or a lot of wind. Sun and wind dries the water up, and wind can kick up dust. I use a 16oz spray bottle with a tablespoon or two of Adams car wash shampoo and water in it and spray and clay while wet.

Chris

Did you clay with water only, or did you use the APC/Car Shampoo mixture you washed with as lubricant for the clay?

APC and claybar don't play nice together.

When we clayed Hellsnake for SEMA, Dylan and I had the rinse water still on the car, grabbed the DS and went into it that way. Like Chris above me mentioned, you need to make sure if you are going to use this method, it needs to be not even breezy outside, or even better, do all of this inside.

Mook

Hi Mook- quick question, and I apologize if posted before... After getting the car washed (and skipping the pool rinsing/drying steps) I usually have tons of water left on my car to the point where I need very little (if any) detail spray for the dry areas when parked in the garage. Related to the OP's original question, is it ok to clay with water only prior to the polishing steps? Does water alone act enough as a lubricant to not inflict damage by the clay bar?

Hi Mook- quick question, and I apologize if posted before... After getting the car washed (and skipping the pool rinsing/drying steps) I usually have tons of water left on my car to the point where I need very little (if any) detail spray for the dry areas when parked in the garage. Related to the OP's original question, is it ok to clay with water only prior to the polishing steps? Does water alone act enough as a lubricant to not inflict damage by the clay bar?

I wouldn't recommend it with the clays available to us here in the US. :(

No.

You need a lubricant more than water there.

APC will eat clay. Do as I stated or use DS. :)

For the record, I was not suggesting that method. Just trying to clarify his procedure. DS is obviously the way to go when claying, but since you brought up the sprayable shampoo/water cocktail, isn't that comparatively messy?

For the record, I was not suggesting that method. Just trying to clarify his procedure. DS is obviously the way to go when claying, but since you brought up the sprayable shampoo/water cocktail, isn't that comparatively messy?

Messy yes, but I hose the car off as I go and BAM, good to go. Mine is just cheaper than using DS for those on a budget. :2thumbs:

Thanks for the replies guys. Some very good points that I did not think about. The day was very nice so I don't think the weather affected anything. I am pretty sure the car was clean as I like to take my time on this part (you know, part of the whole therapy thing). I did, however, use the same shampoo/APC mixture while claying. This particular 1/3 of clay is probably on its last leg anyway so I won't be mad if it is not up to par for next time. Chewy-does the APC dry out the clay or what?

Great points being made here, I know that I have started using Detail Spray to help when I dry the car, and it seems to make the drying go a bit easier. So I agree, I can't imagine using just water for lubricant but I have heard of this being done. Also, just as a point of reference, Adam once told me that after claying there is no need to remove the residue if your next step is going to be Revive. I have found that this works, the Revive removing the clay residue and leaving the finish ready for the next step, so I would think it would be OK if you are claying with water and Detail Spray then following up with Revive, it would leave you with a finish ready for any steps you would chose to follow. Thus eliminating the drying step (somewhat).