Customer Service 866.965.0400

Amazing amount of dirt

cbenjes

Question

This weekend we washed, clayed, polished, sealed and waxed my silver 2000 Accord. Even after the clay, the machine polishing pads pulled out an amazing amount of dirt with the Swirl&Haze and Fine Machine polishing steps. I was really afraid that the pads were ruined. Happy to say thay they cleaned up just fine with the All-Purpose cleaner.

So my question is, is this normal? Is there some other step I should have/could have done to remove more of the 12 year-old dirt from the car after or before claying? The car looks great now, better then it has since we bought it in 2009. Is this normal to pull out so much dirt with the polishing steps?

7 answers to this question

Is there some other step I should have/could have done to remove more of the 12 year-old dirt from the car after or before claying?

Yeah, don't wait another 12 years to clay it!:jester: You were probably seeing a good bit of oxidized paint on the pads.

Edited by Redbeard

While others will chime in, no that is not normal. After the 2-bucket wash you should be dealing with a clean car prior to removing the contaminants out of the clear coat with the clay bar. During polishing, you must be have a clean/dust-free surface to work with! You risk seriously damaging the paint if you grind excess dirt by hand (with applicators) or by machine with the pads.

edited to add - unless it isn't "dirt" you are finding on the pads as the above poster suggests

While others will chime in, no that is not normal. After the 2-bucket wash you should be dealing with a clean car prior to removing the contaminants out of the clear coat with the clay bar. During polishing, you must be have a clean/dust-free surface to work with! You risk seriously damaging the paint if you grind excess dirt by hand (with applicators) or by machine with the pads.

edited to add - unless it isn't "dirt" you are finding on the pads as the above poster suggests

I have to agree here. And it is most likely oxydized paint as well. Be sure to keep your car well waxed and sealed from here on out.

I've noticed, especially on the white pad, if accidentally hit the rubber window seals that they will turn your pad black. Or sometimes when you're removing tar on the lower portions of the car with the clay bar if you don't come back and wipe that area down with detail spray you're left with a dirty pad.

Well, we picked the car up used, so I can't be responsible for the sins of the original owner. :) My son waxed it a couple of times since we bought it, and was pretty impressed with the way the PC cleaned up my GTI, so he asked me to do the Accord. I'm thinking it was just oxidized paint coming off. I don't think the original owner ever really waxed it, but it looks great now.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the process, as we were concentrating on getting the job done, not documenting the process. As it stands now, the car looks better than ever. Swirls are gone for the most part, it has a nice shine, ready for some decent wax over the sealer.

Thanks to all who replied. I guess 12 years of old paint, grime, road dirt, salt and pollution just built up. I promise it won't happen again. The next target is my 8 year-old Sienna.

Edited by cbenjes