Customer Service 866.965.0400

Advice on fixing a real challenge

cbenjes

Question

I'm relatively new at detailing, but I can tell you that my GTI and my son's Accord now have that better-than-showroom finish thanks to Adam's products and the PC RA polisher. My Sienna is next. But in the meantime....

My next-door neighbor just picked up a used 2000 Celica. It's white with a black leather interior. The car has relatively low miles, but I'll bet that the original owner maybe might have washed it 3 times in the 12 years that he owned it. Needless to say, it's a 911 emergency and the paint needs a lot of work to get back to white. There are black smudges all over it where you can see where the road grime, salt spray and dirt is just imbedded in the paint. Running your hand across the smudges comes up empty, but they are there nonetheless. It's pretty ugly.

So I guess my question is, what steps do we need to take to restore this finish, or at least get it to an acceptable level? My thoughts are:

Dawn wash twice.

clay

Severe swirl

Swirl and Haze

Fine machine polish

Sealant

Wax

Am I missing a step? Is there a really good cleaner between the clay and the severe swirl?

Also, is there a good product that can take the scratches out of the sunroof. It looks like a pack of wolves made the sunroof their den.

Thanks,

Chris

6 answers to this question

If you have APC and Adam's Car Wash Shampoo I would recommend that over Dawn. Mix 2-3 ozs of APC into the wash bucket and wash as usual.

If you want to wash again after the claying that is fine, but not required.

The remainder of the steps seem fine. BUT, remember to use the least aggressive method first. Try SHR on the orange pad on a 2 ft x 2ft area before starting with the SSR. The wash and clay may get the finish cleaner and this would save a polishing step.

OK, thanks. THis white paint is pretty stained and streaked up from years of neglect. Where will the bulk of this get removed? With the wash the clay, or the swirl remover?

And can you use swirl remover on the sunroof to get rid of those scratches?

Chris

Great advice! I'd only add to use a utility towel with straight All Purpose Cleaner to remove the oxidation from the exterior rubber and plastic after or during the wash. Otherwise, when removing the oxidation and polishing the paint, it will be difficult to do so without smearing oxidized rubber and plastic into the oxidized finish.

Before, during, and after photos please!!!!!:2thumbs: