Customer Service 866.965.0400

Who Likes Single Stage 50/50 Pics?

Odds and Ends

I know there are more than a few posts with people questioning what to do with single stage paint. Quick answer: Just polish it! No real need to change technique although you will be cleaning pads more often.

I tackle a lot of older cars at my place, especially Black and Red on old Jaguar, Ferrari, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. Most of these manufacturers did not clear the solid colors. Red paint loves to oxidize and fade. Black likes to water spot and etch.

Some quick tips:

On older, low mileage cars with original paint, the edges can be extremely delicate, so I will strategically tape up edges and certain contours.

Foam Q-Tips are helpful around badges and emblems.

4" pads on the Porter Cable 7424XP are almost a necessity to create enough motion and friction for tight spots. You'll be doing enough by hand already with cracks and edges that you'll want to save your shoulder as much as possible.

Here are a couple of quick pics from two recent projects. The Black Mercedes roof 50/50 was after two passed of wet sanding and one pass of compound on a Makita rotary. It got two more passes before completion. The hood and trunk was also wet sanded and compounded prior to polishing. The Red Volvo is my current project and the pic is after just one pass of SHR on the rotary.

Enjoy!

A little more progress today. Entire passenger side now done with SHR and FMP. There are quite a few stubborn areas where I'm having to do a second pass of SHR with the small pads and then lots of contours with SHR by hand.

Surprisingly, the 20 year old paint is in pretty decent condition...I think the thick layer of oxidation actually prevented swirls!

Here's the hood:

Edited by Odds and Ends

• 3 weeks later...