Customer Service 866.965.0400

Salt and Winter Weather Concerns

ChuckDiesel405

Question

Let me start off by saying that I just bought a new 2013 Camaro and this is the first and last winter it will experience. I'm going to buy a beater for upcoming winters.

How bad will salt damage the car? Will it cause the car to rust? I'm trying to wash it off once a week but the temperature rarely rises above 32 degrees this time of year in Pittsburgh. This leads me to my next question:

Is snow and ice bad for the paint? I searched the forums and read about people leaving about an inch of snow on the car after wiping off most of it. Will removing snow and ice actually scratch?

I know scratches and swirl marks are inevitable, but I'm sure Adam's products will greatly reduce the chances. I got a full arsenal of Adam's products at my disposal now!

Any advice on the harmful effects of salt, snow, and ice are appreciated. Thank you!

10 answers to this question

Coin op the day after every snow storm or when salt builds up on it and you'll be ok. This is my 4th and last with my G8 and it looks great!

I just use straight water to protect the sealant as much as possible.

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

The snow and the ice should not have that big of an impact however it can collect dirt and road grime and can possibly scratch the paint. As for the salt on the vehicle, it all depends on what they use on the roads. Some places spray the roads with brine before and during and use cinders, some use rock salt, and some use a de-icer and anti-icer. Salt is not good for metal however having a new car the chance of having exposed metal is very unlikely. My advice would be to try to wash off the grime off the car when it build up if possible as well as washing the undercarriage when the season is over! Hope this help.

The key to winter is to have your car properly prepared for it ahead of time . I buff, polish and seal as late in the in the fall as you can. During winter thoroughly wash the car once a week. If you don't have access to heat then wait for a break in the weather and then put more sealant on. I try to keep as much sealant on all winter as possible. Don't worry about fine scratches during the winter, keep the paint sealed and waxed. You'll have to do a complete paint detail in the spring anyway which will correct any scratches from winter. I follow this (I'm lucky though as I have hot water to hook my hose up to and wash at home in the driveway). Every spring after a good full paint detail with my PC you'd never know the car has seen winter.This has worked for me here in Canada where we get lots of snow and salt.

Ellis should know what I'm talking about.....I grew up in Buffalo, and we had a heated garage. The issue with salt (and I'm no chemist :)), is that when it's 10 degree's out, cars full of salt, and you bring it in the 70 degree garage and let it sit in the nooks and cranny's of the undercarriage. Once above 32 degree's, it's go time for salt. It took <5 years for a new car to start showing serious rust......

I'm sure they've came along way in what they use on the roads, but I don't know...and don't really care now, haha. Nor Cal....haven't seen a rusty car, well, ever here :) I can hate on Cali all I want, but dang is the weather amazing here. -D

Salt will start to corrode your paint as soon as it finds a untreated piece of metal.

My G8 never seen a winter since I purchased it but that doesn't mean my beater and the wife's car doesn't. I try and wash off the salt at least once a week in a coin operated type of car wash. Its worth the few bucks it costs.

I would make sure you hit the undercarriage and wheel wells also.. these are the vulnerable places where corrosion will start to take place from the salt.

once spring arrives make sure you wash clay wash again and wax and seal it.

I have used SALTX (can be found at marine supply stores and online) to remove salt from the under carriage areas with great results. The BEST thing to do is is to maintain your paint on a regular basis with a quality wax like Americana and wash off the salt as soon as you can.

You might try to find a touchless automatic car wash in your area. I've been through bad ones that didn't even take off the top layer. I've since found a very good one with high pressure spray and an undercarriage spray. It takes about 9 minutes and does a good job of removing the salt/de-icers. The undercarriage is a must!

I also have a pickup that will not fit in the car wash so I'm going with a good coating of Fluid Film on the undercarriage and lower painted parts. I've read nothing but good things about it so I'm hoping it helps over the years.