Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Year.....New Truck

JBlack151

Yeah, I'm going with the American Force. The only issue I've run into is my wheel guy can't get them. So I spoke with American Force directly and they're going to make the wheels for me which makes me feel special. Plus they threw in free shipping as well. :rockon:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. Just price matched from the best online pricing I can find.

John .. My buddy we spoke about might have a nice hook up for you on tires too. Im pretty sure we use the same guy and I always get a decent deal.

Chome don't get ya home!!

Haha sorry just had to throw that one in there :D I say you made the right decision on the wheels. You must be buzzing around up there in anticipation of this new setup!

I would have commented on this earlier but it seems that my fuel pump relay and ignition switch connector for some reason decided they wanted to crap the bed on me yesterday morning. Nothing like playing mechanic in 5 degree temps!

So I figured I would share this with you all. I was informed this morning via PM by one of the members on here to get a quote on my wheels and tires thru Mr Wheel Deal. So I shot them an email with what I was looking for and he (Steve) blew away the price that I almost went with by $500. And this price includes TPMS as well which were not included in the other quote I almost went with.

The price on the tires was good but almost average to a few other sites I found them on. But the wheels are what he got me the awesome price on.

I'm so happy I was patient with this process.

It's coming along. A few other little purchases are going on as well already. :D

So I figured I would share this with you all. I was informed this morning via PM by one of the members on here to get a quote on my wheels and tires thru Mr Wheel Deal. So I shot them an email with what I was looking for and he (Steve) blew away the price that I almost went with by $500. And this price includes TPMS as well which were not included in the other quote I almost went with.

The price on the tires was good but almost average to a few other sites I found them on. But the wheels are what he got me the awesome price on.

I'm so happy I was patient with this process.

It's coming along. A few other little purchases are going on as well already. :D

:D glad to hear that it worked out in your favor John!

What's the turnaround time on those bad boys going to be? Are you going with a BDS lift?

After mounting and balancing should be 1-2 weeks.

Yes, I believe the 6" BDS is the kit I'm going with. Just have to look up gears now.

:lolsmack: hurry up man!

I thought I read guys with 6 speed autos are best off with 3:73 if you are doing 33"s. I could be wrong though.

There are so many head spinning charts and calculators for gears with tires sizes. I've been told 4.10's amongst others. Then comes the need for a tune as well.

I have used this chart with MUCH success in comparing gear ratios between my transmission swaps, gear swaps and tire size changes. If you don't see your trans on there, input the gear ratios and go from there! Should be pretty easy to figure out.

You can also see what RPM you'll be at at certain speeds and everything at the bottom. It's really handy for dialing it right in perfect for what you intend to use the truck for. If you have any questions let me know.

Gear Ratio Calculator

Thanks Chase. I do plan on slowly debadging the Silverado and other misc. badges then remove the moldings. For some reason when I see them removed it almost looks too naked. But I think that has to do a lot with the color of the particular truck I'm seeing it on since others look good with them removed.

I guess if I remove them I'll just duct tape them back on! :jester:

I have used this chart with MUCH success in comparing gear ratios between my transmission swaps, gear swaps and tire size changes. If you don't see your trans on there, input the gear ratios and go from there! Should be pretty easy to figure out.

You can also see what RPM you'll be at at certain speeds and everything at the bottom. It's really handy for dialing it right in perfect for what you intend to use the truck for. If you have any questions let me know.

Gear Ratio Calculator

GOOD LAWD! That's some serious ish right there. I haven't seen that one before. Thanks for that, I'll go thru it and see what I win....I mean have to spend! :D

I'm almost tempted to jump up to 4.56 gears just in case I decide to throw 35's on later. But we will see.

GOOD LAWD! That's some serious ish right there. I haven't seen that one before. Thanks for that, I'll go thru it and see what I win....I mean have to spend! :D

I'm almost tempted to jump up to 4.56 gears just in case I decide to throw 35's on later. But we will see.

LMAO!! Hey, I may not know much but what I do know I don't mess around with! Also, if you are planning on any decent power mods, just remember that you can get away with a lesser of a gear, BUT, I would still gear accordingly to your stock engine and planned tire size. Anything from here on up (excluding you putting a nasty big block in it with a Whipple) you will be fine with :)

I know this is comparing apples to elephants but with my setup in the Jeep, she pulls and pulls hard no matter what RPM, cruises right at 2000 rpm at 70mph and just begs for more when cruising. That's with 35's and 4.56's with a 4L60E trans. Gotta love that deep overdrive gear! Only thing on the motor really is shorty headers, home made intake and a slight tune. Oh and the trans is fully built to the hilt (HD sunshell, 5 gear planetary, chromoly D-R pistons, TransGo shift kit and more) so when I do put a small cam in it, it will handle it without any issues. :thumbsup:

Thanks man! I have the 5.3L with the 6L80E and 3.08 gears. It's mainly going to be used for city/highway then playing in some snow during the winter and also pulling the sled trailer.

Once the gears are determined I have to look into tunes as well to correct the speedo and things. Looking at BBP for that right now.

Just running the numbers quickly, if you stick with a 33" tire a 3.73 gear ratio will put you at 200 RPM higher than what you're doing now from the factory (1431 vs 1654). Now, if you went with 35's with the same 3.73 gears that would only have you roughly 100 RPM higher than factory, BUT, you will also be dealing with a heavier wheel and tire combo and the bump to 4.10's would be needed. With more gearing in the transmission, you can have an easier time with the axle gears. If you really want to take things to the next level, run a Detroit TruTrac at the very least out back. It's a helical gear limited slip with no special fluid additives to run. Will help out a lot in the snowy conditions I know this thing will be in.

So I'm posting this up here since I'm not getting much help from the members over at the other sites.

I'm really frustrated lately. I cannot find a reputable shop around me here in CT that would be able to do the install on my truck along with the other goodies I need put on. I've reached out to a couple places by phone messages and emails only to never hear a response. The one shop I almost went with didn't sit well with me. They sounded like they wanted to do anything I wanted done, however they admitted to never really having experience working on my kind of truck since they specialize in Jeeps. Plus all their reviews are amazingly bad. No thank you!

I know I have some time to figure something out, however once the warmer weather comes my schedule is slammed starting to manage all my details I have waiting to get done (~30 vehicles). :rockon:

Here's a list of the things I need..

Install lift

Install gears

Install tune

Install AMP steps

Put on wheels/tires & do an alignment

I'm willing to order all this stuff from the shop themselves as long as the prices are similar to what I've already received working with a variety of suppliers. If not I still need to have them install it all.

So if there is anyone who could suggest a great shop to do all this in CT or even NY/NJ as long as it's not too crazy of a distance from me. :2thumbs:

Dude it's crazy how much work came in at the end of the season last year. I'm really fortunate. Most of them are classic cars so the owners are all anxious to get them done before the show season starts here.

This is why I need to get a shop to do my truck ASAP. Plus with the baby coming in June it's going to be crazy around here. The only weekend I plan to take a break is the beginning of May for the Adam's clinic in PA.

So let's hear about those shops guys!

Sorry you never heard back from my friend. I will make sure I tell him WTF

I told two people in the last week about his business and how great his work is and this is what I get! Not even a return email.

Sorry John.

From what his wife told me he went out of town. But that is still BS in my book.

Edited by Mongosg8

Thanks Mark. Yeah, bummer I never heard back from him. I left him a message on his FB page about 2 weeks ago and called him last week and again yesterday. Maybe it's because I mentioned you and that's why he didn't respond. Just kidding buddy!

I'm almost feeling defeated at this whole process. Ever since I left SoCal 11 years ago I've wanted my truck to my liking and now I'm so close. I may end up finding a shop further away and just take a few days off work to bring it down there or something.

Or maybe I'll just have Matt do it in PA! :D

Or maybe I'll just have Matt do it in PA! :D

Oh man how did I get roped into the install!? :willy::jester:

I know of a shop down this way that's only 10 minutes from me but that's one heck of a hike for you. If you don't mind me asking, who is the company that mainly does Jeeps up in your area? Clayton Offroad?

Some shops may have people going out to the King of the Hammers race in Cali right now since they are driving out. I know a few teams left yesterday for the race and this is basically the super bowl of the rock racing world.