Customer Service 866.965.0400

newbie help with chrome bubble???

sal23

Question

hi everyone im not sure if my post is in the right spot...so sorry if i mess up

okay i currently have a 2004 monte carlo (yellow) with 22inch velocity rims with yellow inserts i have had the rims for 4 years always took them off around October, besides last year.

and over the past 8 months the chrome started lifting on just 1 rim, i took the the rims to hot wheel city where i purchased them for $4800 they told me that they see pitting and the chrome bubbling is normal in Michigan especially for (4 year old rims) they told me they can re chrome them for 2600 and a 30 day warranty or i can sell them my rims for $400 and they will give me the same rims i have with the yellow inserts for 1900 with brand new tires?????:lolsmack:

so my question is what can i do? i am thinking if sanding the entire lip and painting it black or yellow maybe???

but my dad is telling me there is no way to fix them :( besides

re chroming them

this is a pic i just snapped

btw sorry for run on sentences im very tired:cheers:

8 answers to this question

That looks like the result of a poor quality chrome plate job or at the very least an area that wasn't prepped properly before plating. Winters are definitely hard on wheels of any finish, and chrome will sometimes discolor/pit from salt and mag chlorides, but bubbling means it wasn't adhering to the surface properly to begin with.

Pretty much not much you can do other than have them stripped and rechromed if you still want chrome. The other option would be to strip/sand the lip and have them painted. Either way you're looking at some kind of refinishing unfortunately.

Whatever you choose to do adding quick sealant to your wheel care regiment to give them protection would be a good idea.

Edited by Dylan@Adams

Exactly what Dylan said. Anytime chrome lifts from an area, it's a result of a bad chroming job or most likely not the correct prep. I know I am just reiterating what Dylan said, but if it makes you feel any better, I own an exhaust company and all I deal with is Chroming. This happens a lot and it's just poor quality. Nothing you can do but restrip and rechrome. And $2600 for a chrome job on wheels is ABSURD. Go somewhere else. Seriously.

wow thanks for the quick replay guys:)

is it possible at all that i could just sand them and paint them myself only the lip? and still get a good finish?

(just trying to save some money).

one of my good friends works at a custom car shop about 20 miles away from me.

he said he could he powdercoat the rims.

i just spoke to him he said $45 a rim?but the rim needs to be fully prepped

if it is possible will the chrome spokes hold well to the heat?

thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it alot

No, you can't do that without the whole wheel peeling. When you chrome something, it has almost a seal on the exterior, and once that is broke, it will continue to peel. Chrome would never last through a powder coating process. My advice? Have them strip the whole wheel have the entire wheel powder coated. Easiest and cheapest way to go.

No, you can't do that without the whole wheel peeling. When you chrome something, it has almost a seal on the exterior, and once that is broke, it will continue to peel. Chrome would never last through a powder coating process. My advice? Have them strip the whole wheel have the entire wheel powder coated. Easiest and cheapest way to go.

ugh man sucks, well at least ill have a couple less thoughts running through my head during work lol thanks Tamara.

if i chose to re chrome them what would be a good price and a good company?

I had this happen years ago on a Suzuki Hayabusa rear rim. Dylan & Tamara are correct ..bad chrome job period!

I fought tooth and nail to have the company refinish them. They did end up doing the job over again at their expense. When the bike sold it just started doing the same on the front rim. They should take ownership of their terrible work and refinish it for you for nothing but ..sounds like they will fight you. Have them stripped and powder coated.