Customer Service 866.965.0400

IPA Wipe down

txranger22

Question

Can you guys give me the best way to complete this step without causing swirls or damage to the freshly polished paint.

I'm curious to how you do this because the Detail Spray and Waterless Wash have high lubricity properties to them and H2O with IPA wouldn't.

What's the safeist way to do it? Thanks

17 answers to this question

I like to use BG on a freshly polished vehicle. It helps remove polish residue and gives a little pop to the paint. But I guess it depends if your applying a sealant or a wax after polishing. Personally I only uses IPA before polishing if I'm not doing a strip wash with APC.

Biggest thing is to make sure there's no polish residue on the surface before using sealant.

To clarify, you have freshly polished your vehicle, and want to make extra sure you have a clean surface to seal on?

IPA and a Double Soft towel do the job. I typically spritz the panel and use a straight motion with the towel, like I would with Waterless Wash.

I do it just like mook said. This makes sure any polish oils are off of there and the sealant is bonding the best that it can. Also just make sure to use no pressure when removing the IPA.

Makes perfect sense, thanks guys.

If your already polished why do you want to do a IPA wipe down?

If I may ask.......

I've never actually done this, it's a hypothetical question. In fact, I haven't polished my car either.. Lol. I have read this and was wondering about the benefit of an additional IPA wipe down and how to do it with no swirly birds after polishing.

No wonder no Adams product showed up when I did a search on the products page. Then I did a google search and beer showed up then I got sidetracked and straight to the fridge I went haha!

Thanks

What is IPA ?

Gerardo,

We are referring to using Isopropyl Alcohol (70%) on the paint to make sure no oils are left behind prior to sealing it up.

Mook

Just the cheap stuff you find in a drug store/pharmacy.

The first step would be a thorough 2 bucket (strip) wash, then usually claying with lots of lubricant. Then you usually move right into polishing (although some re-wash). If you are doing all this in the same time frame (at least the same day), under most circumstances you should have pretty clean paint at this point...there should be very little to no dust on the paint. So, after polishing if you gently do an IPA wipe-down with a clean, soft Adam's single or double soft MF towel...I would think it would be pretty hard to scratch the paint. I think if you have clean paint (no dust or dirt) you are pretty safe in gently wiping with a quality Adam's MF, whether it be an IPA, with detail spray, or waterless.

Am I thinking correctly?