Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detail Spray or Waterless Wash on Polished (raw) Aluminum Wheels ??

Bandit

Question

Need something to just clean the brake dust off these wheels every couple of weeks and thought Detail Spray or Waterless Wash might be perfect ?

With them being Polished with no clearcoat I wasn't sure what was the safest thing to use ?

They aren't dirty at all....just brake dust.

I've got the new (and old) Detail Spray too...if that helps :)

Thanks for the help !

8189876602_f6deaae2bf_c.jpg

Edited by Bandit

18 answers to this question

WW will be safer, just like on your clear coat, then you can follow up with some DS give it a little shine and help the brake dust from collecting.

Also, have you tried Quick Sealant on your wheels? That'll keep them protected.

WW will be safer, just like on your clear coat, then you can follow up with some DS give it a little shine and help the brake dust from collecting.

Also, have you tried Quick Sealant on your wheels? That'll keep me protected.

Thanks !....You read so much about different things staining aluminum wheels I just wanted to be extra careful.

I sure have tried that....Works great, I use it just about every 2 months or so :)

typically the only things that will damage aluminum are acidic cleaners and/or cleaning wheels when hot.

detail spray and waterless are both completely safe for the wheels, so long as its not sprayed on them while they're hot.

At what point do you choose WW over DS? When is it too dirty for DS?

I always just make a judgment call. DS for "dust" and WW for thicker dust. I know WW has emulsifiers to aid in safely removing grime from the surface, how does it affect brake dust?

At what point do you choose WW over DS? When is it too dirty for DS?

I always just make a judgment call. DS for "dust" and WW for thicker dust. I know WW has emulsifiers to aid in safely removing grime from the surface, how does it affect brake dust?

I always lean towards WW... its cheaper per oz and its always 'safer'. If I need the added gloss then follow with DS.

Thanks everybody for all the help !

I had been pulling it out of the garage and washing them with the Adam's car wash shampoo and just a trickle of water so I didn't get the car wet.

It will be much easier to do it in the garage with the waterless wash especially in the winter time !

Love these Cragars wheels.

Have Adam's to thank for them too....they posted the them in all their pictures from SEMA 2012 or I might not have ever seen them !

8189881350_fdba291918_c.jpg

Thanks everybody for all the help !

I had been pulling it out of the garage and washing them with the Adam's car wash shampoo and just a trickle of water so I didn't get the car wet.

It will be much easier to do it in the garage with the waterless wash especially in the winter time !

Love these Cragars wheels.

Have Adam's to thank for them too....they posted the them in all their pictures from SEMA 2012 or I might not have ever seen them !

8189881350_fdba291918_c.jpg

those cragars! yummm :thumbsup::bow:

You will find out that you need to make sure that they are really wetted down. The polished aluminum will mark or scratch really easily. Even just pushing on a microfiber too hard will mark them. Sooner or later you will want to get the Metal Polish from Adams also. I do my wheels in early spring before I bring my 32 out for the summer. I really like the Brilliant Glaze and Americana for the shine, protection and easier cleaning especially when you get caught in the rain. The wheels look great on that SS!

You will find out that you need to make sure that they are really wetted down. The polished aluminum will mark or scratch really easily. Even just pushing on a microfiber too hard will mark them. Sooner or later you will want to get the Metal Polish from Adams also. I do my wheels in early spring before I bring my 32 out for the summer. I really like the Brilliant Glaze and Americana for the shine, protection and easier cleaning especially when you get caught in the rain. The wheels look great on that SS!

Thanks !

You're right it's been a while since I've had polished wheels (mid 90's)....I'm spoiled to chrome...lol.......Thankfully I've only driven these in the rain once in the 4 months I've had them so it's been easy to keep them like new :)

I will definitely use the Adams Metal polish when I need it no doubt.

I can second that Amerciana love too....that stuff the best !

If I wanted to minimize the scratching on those bare aluminum wheels, I would keep doing regular washes on them with car wash soap or mild wheel cleaner and a boar's hair brush. You can mar paint with just waterless wash if not careful. It might be ok in a pinch to use waterless wash, but you won't be able to clean the inside of the wheels.

Waterless wash is more expensive than car wash too.

If I wanted to minimize the scratching on those bare aluminum wheels, I would keep doing regular washes on them with car wash soap or mild wheel cleaner and a boar's hair brush. You can mar paint with just waterless wash if not careful. It might be ok in a pinch to use waterless wash, but you won't be able to clean the inside of the wheels.

Waterless wash is more expensive than car wash too.

I think you're probably right it takes a little bit longer but that's what I've been doing and will probably continue to do....just wish the wheels would stay as spotless as long as the wheels on my truck, but that's the price I pay for the Brembo brakes and they do stop really good !

Luckily the wheels haven't been truly dirty yet :)

I think you're probably right it takes a little bit longer but that's what I've been doing and will probably continue to do....just wish the wheels would stay as spotless as long as the wheels on my truck, but that's the price I pay for the Brembo brakes and they do stop really good !

Luckily the wheels haven't been truly dirty yet :)

Maintain a layer of sealant or two or the on the wheels and that will really help protect them. It will shield them from the elements, and make them much easier to clean, as well as protecting them from marring during the cleaning process. Wax tends to attract dust, so I wouldn't use wax on wheels unless it was for show.

Maintain a layer of sealant or two or the on the wheels and that will really help protect them. It will shield them from the elements, and make them much easier to clean, as well as protecting them from marring during the cleaning process. Wax tends to attract dust, so I wouldn't use wax on wheels unless it was for show.

I've been using the sealant and some stuff called "Wheel Wax" and I've had real good results from them both :)