Customer Service 866.965.0400

Deep Wheel Cleaner Help

MattZ

Question

I have my deep wheel cleaner and so far it has helped, however I have failed in removing all the caked on junk that is on my daily driver. I bought it used (2002) and it was not super well maintained in its last life. I was wondering if there are additional measures I can take with badly soiled wheels or techniques to go after really caked on stuff?

For what it's worth the Deep Wheel Cleaner definitely reacts with the wheel every time and has improved it, but I just can't seem to get all the stuff off.

Also on a side note the DWC sprayer seems to spray a stream on both settings. No mist. Is this normal?

21 answers to this question

Have you attempted to clay an area and see if that gets it off? Otherwise, the DWC will do it, but it'll take time. That's a LOT of iron on there. It'll never be perfect, but you should get it cleaned up a little better.

I have not tried claying it off yet, but since I have half a clay bar left over I will do that. The wheels clearly react and change color so I presume as I continue to saturate it with the cleaner it'll improve. Maybe I should just buy a few gallons of the DWC and submerge the entire wheel in there for a day or two to kill it all off ;).

Just an update: attacked with some more DWC and it turned super purple. Except for some reason one wheel does not change color much at all even though it has stuff caked on. All 3 of the wheels that are that bad responded in some manner to the claying, so it helped but not all removed. My guess is lots of clay and elbow grease to really knock it out.

What if you take it to your local coin op car wash and soaked them up with DWC, agitate with brush, then used the high pressure sprayer to rinse, I would think the high pressure would help, would be even better if the water was heated. Maybe?

Just an update: attacked with some more DWC and it turned super purple. Except for some reason one wheel does not change color much at all even though it has stuff caked on. All 3 of the wheels that are that bad responded in some manner to the claying, so it helped but not all removed. My guess is lots of clay and elbow grease to really knock it out.

If it didn't change color, it may be grease and not metallic. You can try some APC on those areas, just don't let it dry.

Hmm I wonder about using something like Iron Out on the really bad spots.

Same active ingredient, so likely similar results. Even paint decon stuff can only have so much concentration of the chemical before it would become dangerous for painted surfaces.

Either the metallic content on his wheels is mixed with something petroleum based which is making it a tar like mix of grease and metallics or its in there so good that the DWC can't penetrate far enough to pull all the contamination from the surface.

This is where a gel type DWC might work well. I've run into some pretty bad wheels and the gel stuff is pretty good for allowing it to stay in a specific area without running. Loosening up most iron/tar.

I wonder if you mixed DWC with corn starch if if would allow you to cake it on and let it dwell more.

Hmm...

Interesting, I will have to give it a shot (this weekend maybe).

Going to attack the one that was not changing color with all purpose cleaner once I get my gallon from my spring order.