Customer Service 866.965.0400

Water Washing classic cars

bjoeaull

Question

So generally my firebird sits in the garage, I get it out on nice days from time to time as much as I can :glasses: I usually just waterless wash and detail spray it. But the other day I was putting some svrt on the tires and shined the rims a bit and started thinking it seemed like I should clean the tires better every now and then plus maybe the car. So ? is this, do any of you with older classic cars or newer classics I guess too, ever water wash them every now and then? Even if its once a year or two? Just kinda curious to hear the comments on this.

13 answers to this question

Yes .. I feel that even though they are stored out of the elements you still can get some contamination on the car.

My brothers 68 Firebird gets a wash every month even though it sits in the garage. My Pontiac G8 is a garage queen. It sits in the garage over the winter but I notice in the spring when I take her out of hibernation I still have a lot of dirt, dust and other crap on her. Remember ..moisture can still build up in your garage and you can get "morning due" that builds up leaving water spots etc.

It will not hurt to wash it once a month.

My 2Cents, Because my cars are from mid-to late 60's, I will wash,( on an as needed basis) All 3 are Garage Queens For the Winter, But may only need washed 1 time in the Spring W carfull Dusting and Detailer Throughout the Summer.

I try like crazy to avoid washing my MR2 with water since just mentioning the word "rust" will likely start the process going on any Japanese car from the 80s. My general strategy is to wash it 2-3 times a season (avoiding getting it too wet underneath) drying it as thoroughly as possible, keeping a good layer of sealant and wax on it, and then just maintenance cleaning with WW or detail spray as needed. :cheers:

My 79 is a garage queen as well.. I wash it two or three times a season at most.. In between washes I use waterless wash and detail spray and glaze it the night before when i know i'm hitting a car show the next day.. Hope this helps.

My brother-in-laws dad, has a all original '66 GTO, he never uses water on it, he doesnt want any bolts to rust! It is kept in a climate controlled garage, he does occasionally drive it. It will be one of those at Barrett-Jackson that will sell for $150K easily. Personally, I say wash it and enjoy it, life is too short!

Yeah, I wash mine, do the wheels with the hose, then kind of a sponge bath, followed by the blower to dry everything out.

I had a potential customer bragging how he never washes his Mustang, and he lives on a dirt road. He was using a competitor product and wanted to see what I had. His paint was so terrible it almost looked satin - it wasn't supposed to be. He uses some spray junk with "carnuba" and likes the way it feels. I was just speechless.

Anyhow, use water and be smart about where it gets.

Bruce