Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wheel barrels

gencoupe3dot8

Question

How many of you take the wheels off the car to clean the barrels? I know you can use wheel woolies and move the car to get at the areas blocked by the calipers, but with my Coupe wheels I am considering taking them off to get them "perfect" (even if I can see it).

If you do take them off, how often?

Happy detailing,

[m]

13 answers to this question

How many of you take the wheels off the car to clean the barrels? I know you can use wheel woolies and move the car to get at the areas blocked by the calipers, but with my Coupe wheels I am considering taking them off to get them "perfect" (even if I can see it).

If you do take them off, how often?

Happy detailing,

[m]

Have you used the DWC yet? I used it and pretty much got my wheels perfect without even having to remove them.

I suggest the turbo stick. I love that tool!

Agreed! I got both sizes and its crazy how much brake dust they pull off when used with DWC! Be careful and wear eye protection though, don't want to sling any DWC into an eyeball.

I guess what I am talking about is being a perfectionist I am pretty sure there are places near impossible to reach from the outside (like where the spokes meet the barrel, the lips of the barrel, etc)

I have the turbo stick, other manufacturers wheel brushes (bendable), etc etc, none of which will be the same as taking the wheel off. It's not so much cleaner as the ability to reach... If I do decide to take them off I'll take some pics of what I am talking about.

High end detailers that I monitor take the wheels off, sometimes to refurb, but often to clean...

Whenever I rotate the tires I give the wheels a full cleaning. Just today I put on my summer wheels and cleaned the wheels going on and cleaned the wheels that came off.

Whenever I rotate the tires I give the wheels a full cleaning. Just today I put on my summer wheels and cleaned the wheels going on and cleaned the wheels that came off.

That's what I do, too ... If the wheels are off for some other reason Ill usually give them a good cleaning while they're off, but generally gwc and a turbo stick are what I used when they're on the car.

Turbo stick in the Mini size works great around calipers....

NOW AVAILABLE IN 2 SIZES! The standard Adam's Turbo Stick Features a 16" shaft with 9" of gentle cleaning fingers. The Mini features a slightly smaller 14" shaft with 6" of cleaning area for those extra tight clearances on sport wheels & brakes.

Len,

Great idea. This car doesn't have two sets of tires, nor does it get driven as often.... but I will definitely keep that in mind when I rotate other wheels... The coupe has staggered wheels and they may be directional too... I'll have to check.

[m]

I do this too. At least once a year, usually twice a year on the DD the barrels will be cleaned when the wheels are taken off for rotating. I have been known to take them off at other times when in an "over the top" OCD mood.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Wife's 300 was 10 mo. Old and 10k on the clock when we bought it.

Turbo stick with DWC and the EZDetailer didn't get all of it.

I still need to remove the wheels and clean the barrels proper.

Waiting to see if I win some money and then I'll just get some 22's on it.

Lol. My 51 year old wife sittin on twanky twanks.

Same for me. Only during tire rotation every 5000 miles.