Customer Service 866.965.0400

Going to attempt fist PC paint correction this weekend

blk05crew

Question

So this coming weekend I'm hoping to do my first paint correction on our black Tahoe with the PC and all the goods. I have a coupe questions that I wasn't able to find on here yet or in the videos and was hoping some of you experienced detailers could help me out.

First, I know this is going to take a good amount of time so I'm hoping to break it up into two days. So on Saturday, can I strip wash, IPA dry and clay and then park inside until Sunday. Then on Sunday can I just hit it again with a detail spray wipe down and then start the polishing process?

Second, anybody have any idea roughly the time it's going to take to do 5 step correction process on the second day? I know it's different for each vehicle, but a ballpark guess would really help. It's a black Tahoe with some decent swirling in the paint.

Thanks in advance for advice and answers!:cheers:

Depends on the severity of it. Start out with FMP or SHR depending on the condition and move up to a more aggressive polish if needed. Personally, I'd wash and clay it Friday night and spend the next two days polishing. I tend to be a perfectionist, so it takes me a while, but it could take you 20+ hours to correct it.

Thanks for the response! That's a good idea to wash and clay Friday night. So if I do that, each day when I start new can I just hit the areas that I haven't done yet with detail spray to know off any dust before starting again?

I asked almost the exact same question a little wile ago as my truck is a DD and i do not have access to another vehicle wile my truck is waiting to be finished. I believe the answer i got was to hit it with WW as i would have driven it through the elements that day. If it was parked inside overnight i think you would be fine with either, but someone will chime in. Good luck :pc:

Take the time now and write up a plan of attack list detailing each and every step you plan to use. Then cross them off as you work and it will help you remember what's next when your in the moment. A good way to write this up is while you watch the videos again.

Drink lots of water and have some always available. Try and eat light foods before and during so nothing heavy doesn't slow your motivation down.

Remember that test panel when you begin your polishing. Like Chewy said start with the least aggressive first and work your way back until you know the steps that will be required.

Definitely make sure you plan on taping the trim and emblems off. This is usually time consuming but saves you from getting polish on the trim that will become a PITA to remove later. The tape on the emblems will also save your pads from getting trashed as well.

Keep that final goal in sight at all times. Don't try and settle for something less. You have all the tools, knowledge and products at your fingertips to get it done right.

And always remember to enjoy the process. If frustration sets in then take a step back to regain yourself and get back at it.

Keep us updated on your results and experience. There's a lot of people on here that will benefit from your feedback and others can help improve steps that you may be able to use next time.

Good luck man......Shine On!

Thanks a lot John, good advice and tips! I really like making the list while watching the videos.

I will definitely do a before and after as well with my results. I appreciate all the info! :pc:

Thanks Chris, good tips! Once I do a 2x2 section to figure out what it takes, what is the suggested area to do at a time? Like a fender, then a door, then another door, etc.?

I always start with the hood, roof, trunk then work my way down.....but it doesn't matter, sounds like you are on the right track.:thumbsup:

I just bought all the equipment/materials to tackle my first (and second and third) PC paint correction, but I'm waiting on my schedule and the weather to synch-up.

Looking forward to hearing how yours goes... :lurk:

Edited by Norton

Just stay patient during the whole process! As John said if you start to get fustrated take a step back and evaluate! It is actually a fun process because you stay busy and you learn another automotive skill. Any questions during the process just jump on here and ask, pictures help also. I started with the PC also and got awesome results, I bought the Flex a few weeks ago and man it cuts the time in half but I am glad I was able to start on the PC and learn the basics! Shine on my friend! :pc:

Great tips in here! Have everything to completely correct mine as well. I've attempted mine once but had lackluster results as I needed a stronger polish and better technique. Ready for spring so I can give it another shot!

Have fun & remember to apply enough pressure (9 to 14 lbs.) and don't move too fast with your machine. And don't forget to do a 2' x 2' section, once that is corrected then you will know what it takes to correct the whole car.

Once you do your test section and are ready to polish the entire car do you go through all the steps each time you start a new section? Or do you do the entire car with one polish then do the entire again with the next polish and so on?

Guest Gone & Forgotten

It's black. Wash/clay/IPA Friday night.

Plan on ALL day Saturday to get swirls,and damage out of the paint. Have/buy/borrow some halogen lights and move them around to each panel you work on. Having the focus pads will increase your success rate at getting ALL of it. Granted, there may be some scratches that need wet sanded...

Sunday, polish, quick seal or super seal... Clean up wax messes like weatherstrip, edges, jambs, under hood jamb... Etc. wash again if you can and dry. Don't forget the glass. Focus pads rule on glass. Super easy and fast to polish em up like a mirror.

If you used quick sealant.... Then glaze and wax

If you used super sealant... Wait a few days.

Hey Nate, not sure where you are in Washington, but if you're close to Vancouver/Portland area I could maybe have some time on Saturday to try to help give some pointers. I'm not a detailer by trade, but I have a couple PC corrections under my belt and I think I could help your learning curve.

I am going to the Portland swap meet either Friday or Saturday, but if you're close I could swing by for a bit.

Hey Nate, not sure where you are in Washington, but if you're close to Vancouver/Portland area I could maybe have some time on Saturday to try to help give some pointers. I'm not a detailer by trade, but I have a couple PC corrections under my belt and I think I could help your learning curve.

I am going to the Portland swap meet either Friday or Saturday, but if you're close I could swing by for a bit.

Hey I really appreciate the offer! I'm over in Spokane, so probably not going to work:D Thanks very much though!

Good luck! But did you say 5 step correction?!?! Out of curiousity, what are the 5 steps?

Sorry, I shouldn't have stated it that way. I was referring to the 5 different pads and polishes/glazes that come with the PC kit I ordered. There are a lot more steps than that!:willy: