Customer Service 866.965.0400

Washing Larger Vehicles

McMo

Question

Anybody else feel like it is a long distance sprint to completely wash and rinse their truck before everything completely dries out? Not having the benefit of a garage, I find it quite difficult to accomplish.

This was recommended in a thread the other day.....which works quite well, although it is still quite a reach to the center of the roof. Any other tricks of the trade?

That's exactly what I use to wash and polish my cars.

Tip:

Glue a rubber strip all the way around it in case the worst happends ,not talking about to protect you, I'm talking about the car:)

Light weight, very easy to move around, mine is three feet wide which gives me a reach of two feet on either side, that's seven feet total to work without moving it.

I have long arms which helps:)

Going from a Trailblazer SS to a lifted full size Silverado brought some initial challenges. For the hard to reach places like the center of the hood I have to get onto the front tires and wash. For the roof I open the doors but cautiously wash up there without allowing for any water/soap to get in the interior. For the bed cover I do the same as the front by stepping up onto the rear tires.

I spent a good amount of time concentrating on the sealant side. After my first full paint correction before going into the shop for the lift I did two coats of Quick Sealant on the paint and wheels just to make sure nothing was missed on the first application (allowing for proper curing time before the 2nd app.). Then I proceeded with Glass Sealant on all the windows. I've also had applied a coat of Americana as well over the recent weeks.

Now when I perform a wash I do the "pooling" method with Detail Spray after rinsing. This sheets the water right off the paint extremely well thanks to all the protection. From there I have my Air Force Master Blaster ready to blow any excess water off. After this I rarely have any water remaining on my truck.

If you get the right stuff on there it will really help with the standard washes to go by much faster. :thumbsup:

Nice looking truck, I'm sure it takes time just to clean it:)

Going from a Trailblazer SS to a lifted full size Silverado brought some initial challenges. For the hard to reach places like the center of the hood I have to get onto the front tires and wash. For the roof I open the doors but cautiously wash up there without allowing for any water/soap to get in the interior. For the bed cover I do the same as the front by stepping up onto the rear tires.

I spent a good amount of time concentrating on the sealant side. After my first full paint correction before going into the shop for the lift I did two coats of Quick Sealant on the paint and wheels just to make sure nothing was missed on the first application (allowing for proper curing time before the 2nd app.). Then I proceeded with Glass Sealant on all the windows. I've also had applied a coat of Americana as well over the recent weeks.

Now when I perform a wash I do the "pooling" method with Detail Spray after rinsing. This sheets the water right off the paint extremely well thanks to all the protection. From there I have my Air Force Master Blaster ready to blow any excess water off. After this I rarely have any water remaining on my truck.

If you get the right stuff on there it will really help with the standard washes to go by much faster. :thumbsup:

That's exactly what I use to wash and polish my cars.

Tip:

Glue a rubber strip all the way around it in case the worst happends ,not talking about to protect you, I'm talking about the car:)

:)

Great idea. I had a bad vision every time I moved this thing.

Thanks John. I am planning to do a full detail shortly. I never thought of it making the standard washes easier.

I've been looking at getting one of those since I have a new Explorer on order. Do they get slick once the water starts flying? I was thinking it could benifit from some grip tape on the walking surface.

I've been using one for a while for my SUV's. Never had any trouble with slipping at all. Also, the cross support on the leg serves as a pretty good step for us old guys. (Haven't flipped it...yet :xfingers:).

My full sized pickup has taken me ~2 hours each time I've washed it, and that is just the outside. It takes another ~45 min for the interior...

I need to find a good step like that, as it is now I stand on the wheels and door sills.

My full sized pickup has taken me ~2 hours each time I've washed it, and that is just the outside. It takes another ~45 min for the interior...

I need to find a good step like that, as it is now I stand on the wheels and door sills.

It takes me a couple of hours just to do the outside as well. I suppose the upside is when I do the car, it feels like I am done in no time at all.

Best price I have seen for those of us on the northern side of the border is $34.00 when it goes on sale at Canadian Tire. Regular price is $75.00. Yes, most things are better priced in the States.

They are very sturdy and I have never had any slipping problems.

If slipping is an issue, you could alway either spray it with the rattle can bed liner spray, or put some sticky non skid on it.

I'm probably going to have to get one too. At least my RAM will have the air suspension and drop itself 2 inches lower... :)

If slipping is an issue, you could alway either spray it with the rattle can bed liner spray, or put some sticky non skid on it.

I'm probably going to have to get one too. At least my RAM will have the air suspension and drop itself 2 inches lower... :)

Or if the surface is more on the flatter side, you could always use some of the outdoor step / skate board grip tape to put down. Fairly cheap and easy to replace when needed. :thumbsup:

Or if the surface is more on the flatter side, you could always use some of the outdoor step / skate board grip tape to put down. Fairly cheap and easy to replace when needed. :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's what I meant by sticky non skid... ;)

I just get in the bed to hit the roof. And stand on the tires for the hood.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

My arms aren't that long! lol

I need to find a safe wand to clean the top. I've been looking with no luck.

Chris

My arms aren't that long! lol

I need to find a safe wand to clean the top. I've been looking with no luck.

Chris

My arms aren't either. Just what I'm looking for as well.

My vehicles aren't overly large... 2012 Rav4 and 2002 Pathdfinder. I've been standing on a milk crate to give me the extra boost I need to reach the roofs. Glad I saw this thread as I'd like to get some kind of stool.

Anybody else feel like it is a long distance sprint to completely wash and rinse their truck before everything completely dries out? Not having the benefit of a garage, I find it quite difficult to accomplish.

This was recommended in a thread the other day.....which works quite well, although it is still quite a reach to the center of the roof. Any other tricks of the trade?

I need to get one (or two) of those work platforms. Lowes had them at one point but I was just there and didn't see them. Anyone know of a good place to get them?

A contractor buddy of mine had a set and we used it to sheetrock my family room (9' ceilings) and they worked awesome. Should have asked him then where he got them.

I need to get one (or two) of those work platforms. Lowes had them at one point but I was just there and didn't see them. Anyone know of a good place to get them?

A contractor buddy of mine had a set and we used it to sheetrock my family room (9' ceilings) and they worked awesome. Should have asked him then where he got them.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wel-Bilt-Folding-Aluminum-Platform-Capacity/dp/B0039ZC434/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1367346148&sr=1-6&keywords=platform+ladder]Wel-Bilt Folding Aluminum Platform - 330Lb. Capacity - Amazon.com[/ame]