Customer Service 866.965.0400

Coworker wants me to correct his truck

Periodic

Question

I'll start this thread with a little background story. A coworker of mine and I were chatting in the lunchroom about miscelaneous car care.

He is contemplating putting his truck up for sale. Anyways, I was describing my new found love for Adams products and my recent major purchase from the Adamspolishes.ca store. He then said "do you think it will make a difference" and "do you think it will help it sell". To which I answered, "yes, it will be night and day difference, and it certainly couldn't hurt to help it sell".

Anyways, we came to a commission type agreement, I'll take 2% of the total sale of the truck for doing the leg work for him. If it doesn’t sell he’ll cover his share of the products used.

He has a 2007 Black Sierra extend cab regular box W/T edition 2WD. I know it’s not on par with some of the Lambos and high end cars seen around this forum, but it’s still his baby.

The paint is in major need of repair. Several stone chips, and even some spots where the paint has flaked off to about 1” diameter on the rockers. So, this is how I foresee the events of the correction going.

Random Day during the workweek

1- have him get a car wash in the morning

2- quick sanding and IPA wipe down of stone chipped areas

3- touch up the chipped spots with paint pen from dealer matched to his paint code, allow to cure all day

4- after work, 1200wetsand fresh paint, apply new coat of paint if required.

5- after 1500wetsand and smoothing on lower rockers and fender lips, mask, IPA wipe down, spray bomb clear

6- wait 1 one hour to cure 1500wetsand and repeat step 5 2 times ending with a 2000wetsand.

Nice day on a weekend, start at 7:30am likely go until 6 or so

1-2 bucket wash with 2oz APC

2-detail spray and clay

3-A couple passes with SSR and the PC (sorry not flex in my stable) all over truck to rid of numerous swirls and various scratches and any damage left from the wetsanding.

4-A pass or 2 of SHR

5-A pass of FMP

6-Sealant

7-wax by hand

What do you think of the process? I’m sure some of you will recommend going to a body shop for the paint chips, but I don’t think that is in the cards for him at the moment. What I described above would be my best effort at the correction, and since we are friends my labour is very cheap! Probably collect my 2% in adams gift cards..haha

Appreciate your comments guys!

:pc:

13 answers to this question

haha likely around 12k, I'm way too green to be charging out big rates like you masters out there!

I'm no master... What I am is busy doing other things which means my time is valuable. lol

I would suggest nixing the sanding and just by a Langka or Dr. Colorchip kit.

Chris

Sounds like fun and money to be made.

Cool deal.

I'm working on a 2007 Civic this weekend , the car belongs to a co-worker as well.

My deal was be order me Whatever I wanted from Adams.

It came in today , all set.

Then today I was asked to do a truck.

Interesting.

Kevin

I'm no master... What I am is busy doing other things which means my time is valuable. lol

Chris

agreed... its less hassle and will get the chips back to about 95%. enough to where no one will notice unless they were looking for it with a magnifying glass.

be sure to do your test panel before polishing over the entire car. its worth it, and will save you time from having to go back over the entire car because its not up to par with what you were expecting.

and if you have BG, get a coat of that under the wax.

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

Good luck Ryan, should be a great learning experience!

A few things that stand out to me:

• As the others have said you may want to look in Langka or Dr. Colorchip
  • I would skip the wax since he does not plan to keep it
  • I would budget 2 days for the correction. Here is a link to a detail a few of us did on a similar truck with a Flex. We had at least 2 polishers going for about 5 hours. http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/trucks/16083.htm

Thanks! Read through your thread, that ram was in rough condition. The sierra isnt nearly that bad with the exception of the paint chips. Hope to have those filled and wet sanded well before the polishing.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

Chris

X2 on the Dr. Colorchip. Got one for my TBSS and absolutely love it. Takes a while to get the hang of, but results are awesome.

do those chip repair products last?

I did our Enclave probably 3 years ago now and I've not had one pop! Remember, when painting, preparation is EVERYTHING!!!