Customer Service 866.965.0400

Machine Super sealant by hand

TCAM

Question

I have done some searching and I have found that MSS can be applied by hand in some hard to reach places [or wheels].

I just polished an 09 Corolla S using my PC mostly just with a white pad a FMP with some harder to reach areas with the focus pads on my drill.

What I have discovered is that the car is mostly "hard to reach" areas.  The hood and roof were easy enough but much of the time I was reaching for the drill.

I really want some quick sealant but that doesnt seem like an option at this point, so can I do the majority of the car by hand with MSS. If its a matter or needing extra elbow greese I am fine with that. But if it just wont work right then I wont do it.  The PC just helps to spread the product evenly it doesnt help it to "set up" or anything?

13 answers to this question

Applying it by hand will leave the sealant thicker in some locations than others. I have never done it by hand. Do you have the gray focus pad? You could always use the focus pads on the PC and apply it that way.

I don't like the idea of breathing in aerosols (particularly since I work in a small garage), so I haven't been using quick sealant.  However, I have been using MSS on hard to reach areas like the wheels by using a hand applicator.  I've been very happy with the durability/longevity after application.

#1 you can TOTALLY apply MSS by hand.  Less IS more because too much and it's like applying and removing concrete!!!   When I say less, I mean VERY LITTLE!!!  

#2 AQS is indeed an aerosol, but if you spray it close to the Adams MF applicator, the amount left hanging in the air is minimal.   

Applying it by hand will leave the sealant thicker in some locations than others. I have never done it by hand. Do you have the gray focus pad? You could always use the focus pads on the PC and apply it that way.

I only have the 6 grey inch pad.

I don't like the idea of breathing in aerosols (particularly since I work in a small garage), so I haven't been using quick sealant.  However, I have been using MSS on hard to reach areas like the wheels by using a hand applicator.  I've been very happy with the durability/longevity after application.

No matter how small I agree with you, invest in a small respirator from home depot usually around 30 bucks and works like a charm.  I have a high end 3M one because some of the compounds I have worked with generate alot of dust and you know that stuff settles in your lungs.  Being 23 and doing it the rest of my life I know it will add up, respirator ftw.  

I only have the 6 grey inch pad.

I'd do an X across the pad and spritz it with DS and have at it.  Is used a 4" pad to apply it once.  6" will be hard to hold onto.  The problem with using an Americana applicator, is you need to push down fairly hard by hand and that app doesn't do well with that.

Do you have any of their MF apps?  

I'd do an X across the pad and spritz it with DS and have at it.  Is used a 4" pad to apply it once.  6" will be hard to hold onto.  The problem with using an Americana applicator, is you need to push down fairly hard by hand and that app doesn't do well with that.

Use a yellow foam applicator instead? It isn't squishy like the Americana applicators.

Sorry, "MF apps"?

I have the yellow,blue and orange hand applicators.

There just arent many areas the 6 inch pad can get to. Pretty much the front bumper, trunk, factory body kit, around door handles, fenders toward headlights, quarters toward tail lights are all tight areas.

It seems every pic or post I see on hear is of a camaro,charger, corvette or large truck which all have nice large panels.

Its just a pain to switch from the 6 inch pad, then down to my focus pads on my drill then still have to do some by hand anyway [granted it would seem like less of a pain and more worth while if I was detailing a car like mentioned above and not a corolla B) ]

Quick Sealant will be back in stock soon and that sounds like it might be the best fit for you. 

The issue with MSS by hand is what we refer to as 'tiger stripes' on darker colors. It has to be applied VERY thin and VERY even to get perfect finish from it. 

On big, flat panels, like the your hood or doors, a hand application is going to have lots of highs and lows. MSS will leave a visual dark stripe on the highs in contrast to the thinner applied areas. On black, in full sun, it looks like stripes of slightly darker paint - thus 'tiger stripes'.

Its almost completely unnoticeable on lighter colors, but fairly obvious on blacks, blues, and similar darker colors.