Customer Service 866.965.0400

25 Years Old

GerryC

No, not me :lolsmack:

According to my Corvette's build sheet and various date stamps throughout the car, it was built 25 years ago today(/morrow), on May 23, 1988, at 7:29am. I figured I'd share some of the story behind restoring it about 5 years ago.

datestamp.jpg

Originally delivered to Palanker Chevrolet (now Arnold Chevrolet)at 670 Montauk Highway in West Babylon, NY, it has every option available except for the painted roof panel.

windowsticker.jpg

My dad and I were looking for a vette to restore for a while. I am the third owner. I have no idea what the first two guys did to it but they should be put in jail. This was the only car we looked at that had no body or frame damage. The only problem was, it had everything else wrong with it. :help:

Found in a dilapidated shack, parked on wooden boards and covered in bed sheets, we had to replace the alternator and battery in near zero light just to get the thing started (and even then, it still ran like sh--). Light, we soon found out, was not this car's friend, as it looked like hell. I wish I took more before photos:

1.jpg

Just absolutely no gloss whatsoever to the paint, all the trim is faded, weatherstrip dry as a bone. FUGLY

2.jpg

This is what happens when you neglect perforated seats. The steering wheel was also shot and much of the plastic trim was cracked or gouged.

3.jpg

It was almost as if someone sprayed milk on the wheels and sat them out in the sun.

4.jpg

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

5.jpg

The restoration photos were taken on a film camera and are in a binder, I don't have a scanner so I can't post them. Converting them has been on my to do list for a while but then again so is a lot of other stuff..

In the process of ripping out the interior we found over five dollars in loose change, 3 losing lottery tickets spanning almost a year, about a dozen cherry pits, and a McDonalds coupon that expired in 2001. At least we got to see that the floor wasn't cracked.

Things that were trashed and needed to be replaced (with all 100% OEM):

• All weatherstripping
  • All carpeting & upholstery
  • door panels
  • Steering wheel & horn button
  • center console door
  • center strack trim
  • hvac faceplate
  • shifter boot
  • windshield
  • acrylic top
  • headlight motors
  • every engine relay
  • brake booster
  • alternator
  • battery
  • horns
  • injectors/plugs/wires/various hoses
  • shocks
  • both emblems
  • power radio antenna
  • various plastic interior bezels
Things that were able to be refurbished:
  • wheels (professional shop)
  • valve covers (painted myself)
  • console side panels (painted myself)
  • digital instrument cluster (replaced lightbulbs and fixed broken solder joints)
  • the ALL ORIGINAL paint thanks to Adam's Polishes :pc7424:
Fast forward almost two years, thousands of swear words and several gallons of Adam's products later

1.jpg

I showed this photo below to Adam the first time I met him and said look at the white streaks your wax left all over my car! :jester:

2.jpg

Paint's looking a little... :glasses: ...cloudy. YEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH </csi reference>

3.jpg

4.jpg

Notice the severe lack of perforated leather

5.jpg

Old school 12oz VRT :rockon:

6.jpg

7.jpg

The car currently has over 91,000 miles. Aside from the restoration, the only other changes we've made since is upgrading to larger, dimpled/slotted rotors with ceramic pads, and an OEM catback exhaust with muffler delete.

All that work paid off in the end though :banana:

trophies.jpg

Thanks for reading. It was a fun experience, but not one I want to repeat any time soon LOL

Wow.. nice transformation Gerry.

Looks like a new car again.. really impressed on how the paint came back to life but with all the TLC you gave it with Adams products the reflection is outstanding.  

nice to know you did not need to overhaul the motor.

Thanks everyone. I was hoping to take it out for a birthday spin but the weather is uncooperative as usual.

Awesome Gerry! However I don't expect anything less from you. We need to get together soon so I can enjoy this Vette in person.

You could have saw it a few weeks ago lol...I'll keep you in the loop if it makes any other appearances

nice to know you did not need to overhaul the motor.

We had to change the oil twice before it stopped coming out black   :eek:

i have always loved the c4 vettes, great job.  With the vette now being 25 yrs old, does it qualify as an antique?  slap that new lisence plate on there!

Already has an "Early American" plate, in CT the minimum is 20 years. The qualifications (or lack thereof) aren't that logical, because technically someone with a 1993 Mercury Tracer could get one of these plates. IMO it should have a fixed cutoff year rather than a rolling age minimum. I've also seen foreign classics registered with them, so it kinda defeats the whole purpose of calling it "Early American". But I digress  :lol:

Pictures aren't coming up for me.. 

Are you at work/school or someplace with an internet filter? I host the files on my own webserver which also runs a Grand Theft Auto (video game) website, so the address could be blocked based on the content.