Customer Service 866.965.0400

Too much soap, dried on finish?

IrishCurse

Question

I washed my SS a few weeks back using my pressure washer, foam cannon, and of course Adams soap, two bucket wash, etc.  It was cloudy so I didn't worry about water drying, or water spots forming on the finish.  That by no means meant I took my time, nor did I rinse the car before the wash was finished.  If anything, soap dried on the finish just as Adams suggests, if anything.  again, it was cloudy, so nothing dried on the finish.  I tend to use more product than less so I probably used more soap than necessary for the task.  I got the car in the garage to dry and I noticed what looked to be dried splotches on the paint.  It wasn't water spots because the car has NEVER seen rain nor has it ever been washed in the sun (It is waterless washed more often than not because it has never seen rain).  The splotches really looked to be the shape and consistency of dried soap, but I thoroughly rinsed the car with the pressure washer.

I have sealed this film/contaminant beneath QS, BG, Americana.  I think I know the answer, but I'm hoping you guys will say something different than I already know....

Strip and re-do EVERYTHING :(

Leave it till my next scheduled seasonal full correction?  :D

16 answers to this question

I've had splotches after washing, but they always came off effortlessly during the rinse or the towel-dry, and it was only if the suds had dried. Weird.  IPA wipedown and then re-seal?

Yep!  Wipe down and reseal!  You need to inspect the paint before sealing.  I actually do an IPA wipe down before sealing every time now.  It just eliminates situations like this.

Have you tried some DS to make SURE it's under the LSP's? 

Chris

I saw it prior to sealing and wiped with WW and DS.  Still there!  I KNOW there was no spotting on that finish, and no need to clay because I tried the wash prior to this and evaluated the hood, front and rear bumper and came up clean.  It isnt much work to do a good foam cannon, two bucket, dry, IPA wipe, Inspection, maybe another IPA to be sure, seal, glaze, Americana.  Matter of fact, I have a few light onesy, twosey scratches I could FMP here and there while I'm at it after I IPA, before the second IPA.  Only issue is I bump one of the other household vehicles back a week to do so.  But, this is the flagship baby, she takes precidence!  B)

Edited by IrishCurse

Hmmmm.... Let me get back to you on that.  That doesnt even make sense. 

50% of the time, it works every time... lol.

I don't think I sealed it this time.  I would have IPA'd it, which I did not do.  I do IPA before sealing, and if I saw that, the clay would have ran out of the closet on its own, broke out of the plastic tub, and forced my arm to spray detail spray so it could do its thaaaaaang.  No way would that have stayed on that finish.  Now, IPA will strip everything including sealant, so either way, I'm going to have to complete all steps listed above.  Also, remember that the big bad bowtie has my car as I write this doing unspeakable damage to my clear coat among other things we won't mention within the hallowed halls of Adam's forums.  I more than likely have my hands full this weekend correcting something whether it be my fault or theirs.

Edited by IrishCurse

Yeeeeeeah.  Now that you show me that, I'm positive I've read that before.  I'm sure I let the soap dry, no doubt about that.  Now, its been at least glazed, then waxed over so a IPA is in order for sure.  Will this work in this case:

1.  Heavy duty WW:  Thorough WW to rid dust (remember, no rain, no water hits this finish)

2.  Double IPA using 91% Diluted 50/50 with filtered/softened (saltless Pelican system) water wipe down

3.  Clay bar Finish

4.  Re-establish protection upon favorable inspection

My fear is dry soap producing not dry soap, ie, suds, lol.  any and all advice is appreciated.  If you guys think this won't work, I still think I'll have to strip the protection to be able to WASH the soap/ get at the deposits either way.  If I wash the thing, its fruitless, and I'll be in the same predicament I'm in now, so it seems to me I'd be doing this process regardless if I WW or not.  I appreciate your thoughts and attention guys, very much so in fact.  :unsure:

That dilution of IPA will be 45.5%. That seems a bit too high.

Maybe the Adam's crew has tested different IPA dilutions on Camaros since the focus is American cars.

45.5% is too high of a dilution on Subarus due to the soft clear coats and easily causes surface marring/dulling just from a wipedown. This is not ideal if you're not correcting. (I use 13.1%)

Can it happen to you? Not sure because I don't know how the clear is on 5th gen Camaros, but it might be something you want to look at.

Actually, to be honest, the last time I did a wipedown I did a 70/30 water/alcohol solution.  I had a halogen tower on and I watched it immediately dry leaving nothing behind.  By my math that looks to be around 27%.

In my first post I said "that's seems a bit too high". I probably shouldn't have said that because every car is different.

Some people don't see any problems with 91% straight out of the bottle, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of that debate.

But beyond that your routine looks fine to me, but I'm no expert :).

I just mixed a bottle of 80/20 using 92% alcohol. its 80/20 distilled/alcohol and I did this for two reasons:  I've heard the argument that its too strong from quite a few people, and there are a few pros here I trust and admire that use a weaker solution... if its good for them, its good for me. I'm about to go out to the garage and start the WW.  Plan is to WW, IPA, see is that clears it.  If so, QS, BG, Americana, done.  If it doesnt budge, Clay, inspect, and apply protection.  I see no reason why clay wouldn't remove it.  I see no reason why IPA wouldn't remove it.  I see no reason why I would apply protection over it besides the fact I was in a hurry and LAZY!  So this is my doing.

Well guys... I have my cervical epidural tomorrow.  I have to fast from 0800 on for the rest of the day.  I've had the branch extending from the column blocked and had to do this once before so my strat is to stay up all night, eat drink at my leisure, go to bed at like 0600, wake up at 1400, not eat or drink for a couple hours, and get my spine stuck.  I figured this paint issue is driving me nuts, no better time to fix it than tonight!

Update:  My method of WW, IPA, and Clay is just the ticket.  I have found that the stock of towels I have been using since my first Adams order in the beginning of 2011 are now linting and need to be boiled, or sent to the minors (dirty duty).  Finally, I use MAD product when doing ANYTHING.  When I WW, I WW ladies and gentlemen.  When I clean applicators, you best believe there will be some APC flying.  Anyways, its hot in my garage, hence this update.

Hey Guys,

I want to give a huge shout out to Dylan, Chewy, Gerry, and Brian Kazzle for their Support concerning my paint issue the other night.  When something is wrong with that car, it eats me up, bothers me constantly until its fixed.  That goes for mechanical issues, body work (like the bumper issue you guys may have read, which is resolved under warranty BTW, and especially paint issues. The local Chevy dealer where I bought the car noticed what he called "water spots" on the finish bc he was trying to save his behind because the whole building knows to white glove that car, nobody there even wants to drive it once its in their possession.  I'm not a tyrant, lol, they just know how I scrutinize it when I drive it, never mind when others would.  Long story short, you guys provided info that helped me not only remove the contaminants that were driving me mad, but arguably make it shine more than I ever have even up to this point.  Thanks guys, I was very, very happy when it was said and done.

Matt

Thanks again,  I'd like to think I'm post noob stage at this point.  I think I know what I need to do most of the time, but the people here, like you, reassure me that my methods are correct, and that I'm on the right path.  I could waste hours of time otherwise, and that really matters to me.  Thats one of many intrinsic values of these forums.  I didnt snap pictures, I'm always so focused during the process, but it was beautiful.  I did an IPA wipe down after a thorough double WW.  I could feel the WW towel fill with protection.  It felt sticky, rough, stuck to the paint, had to flip to clean side often.  I knew I was on the right track. 

I sprayed DS on the finish during clay... Whats this slight white foam as I'm claying?  SOAP!  My trusty double soft will clear that garbage away.  Did another IPA just to be sure.  Properly applied QS (only waited 20 secs or so before wiping, applied BG, then Americana).  Gorgeous.  Ordered all new polishes and pads along with another gallon of WW since I use the heck out of it.  That will be 2.5 gallons.  I really saturate the car when I WW and use about 5-6 Towels.  Nothing too good for my nameless SS.....

Oooooh, new Naming Contest on the horizon?!