Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dirty wheel woolie?

GlossAngeles

Question

Recently I used my medium wheel woolie to clean an extremely dirty set of wheels. Now I'm in the process of cleaning it and I can't seem to get them clean? They look clean, feel soft and water runs clear. However if sprayed with apc more and more black gunk keeps coming out. I have sprayed and rinsed probably 20 times and this still happens. The gunk also will show up on my hands if I rub the woolie. This would obviously also happen on wheels if I used it. Has anyone ever had an issue with dye transfer from these? Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. The other woolies don't have this issue

Edited by Sauwceboss

10 answers to this question

You could switch to some plain blue dawn, it will also cut the grease and gunk but should not pull any color from the dyes in the bristles. I've not had this issue, but if it continues to bleed with your current method try switching it up.

Edited by PacificNWBuckeye

Had this issue with my larger woolie  ..I let it sit in a diluted container of APC for a couple hours and rinsed ..seemed break down the crud and was able to rinse out about 90% of it

Following up on what Dylan and the others have asked/mentioned, I always try to take one day out of the month during the busier detailing season to take all my brushes and woolies and let them soak in some water and APC. I have to admit some of my older brushes still look brand new and they are well over 1 1/2 years old and been used on a lot of jobs. The woolies still look great as well and they are just about a year old.

Having a pressure washer to clean them out after every use really helps as well for me. 

I also rinse the brushes out after every use, meaning after I get done with one tire, I rinse out the tire scrubbing brush.  After a fender cleaning, that one gets rised too.  It seems to help keep the dirt and grit from really bedding into the brushes.  I've had some of my brushes almost 2 years now and they look very close to new.  Give em a little soak with APC and let them sit in water like Dylan said and you'll have yourself some nice, fresh and clean brushes and woolies!

If you wanted to get an extra step in to take making sure they stay clean, you know, even further...

Lately I have been making a solution of GWC and warm water into my brushes bucket for washing.  I have noticed it helps keep the heads cleaner from corner to corner. 

What product/chemical did you use to clean the seats? If it's just dye transfer, that shouldn't stick to wheels. However, it most likely would to seats if used again.

I use this brush for seats:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-420-adams-leather-interior-cleaning-brush.aspx

And the Wheel Woolies for, well, wheels.

When I said dye transfer I meant from the woolie itself haha like the black color of the fibers. I only use them on wheels.I tried soaking it but I'll try again Edited by Sauwceboss