Customer Service 866.965.0400

Porter Cable Question

Thorsager

Question

I just received a Porter Cable polisher 7424. I have never used a machine polisher before on a car (and a bit nervous about that). I have a Camaro. Will I need more then 1 orange /white foam pad(s)? Can I apply the Machine Super Sealant by hand in the hard to reach places?

Edited by Thorsager

6 answers to this question

As long as you don't use too much product (a very common rookie mistake), your paint has been clayed thoroughly, and use a pad cleaning brush after every couple of panels, you can probably get away with a single pad. Mutiple pads are ideal, though if for no other reason than if you accidentally drop it on the ground or plow over some badging on the car...it's always nice to have a backup.

You can apply the sealant by hand, but keep in mind that less is more - you cannot lay it on too thick or you'll run into trouble.  Keep the layer thin and you'll be fine applying it by hand.

Maybe it was implied, but do you have a black MSS application pad?

Do not be nervous about using your PC, it is a very user friendly and forgiving machine!

As Frank had said, and for the reasons he stated, you can get away with only having one orange pad and one white pad for polishing.  I will add that proper after-care will ensure great longevity.  I still have the pads that came with my kit that I purchased over three years ago!

Maybe it was implied, but do you have a black MSS application pad?

Do not be nervous about using your PC, it is a very user friendly and forgiving machine!

As Frank had said, and for the reasons he stated, you can get away with only having one orange pad and one white pad for polishing.  I will add that proper after-care will ensure great longevity.  I still have the pads that came with my kit that I purchased over three years ago!

Thanks for the replies. Yes I do has a black MSS pad. I can't wait to try this! Over the past year I have learned less is more. I usually clean my hand foam wax pads with Dawn. Will this be ok with these pads or is that too harsh?

Its always nice to have a couple of each pad, so you will have a clean dry pad on hand....

Like mentioned less is more on applying MSS.

A couple things to remember using your new PC, go slow and make sure you apply enough pressure to your pad.

Do a 2x2 section and don't move on to the whole car until your satisfied with your results.

Have fun!