Customer Service 866.965.0400

The order of things??

Thumpr

Question

Just trying to figure out the best order of things.  Did some poking around and searching but not able to find the answers so coming to the community. 

After washing and if required taking any swirls and marks out I need to figure out the order of using the following products:

Brilliant Glaze

Buttery Wax or Americana Wax

Quick Sealant

I had originally thought glaze, wax and then sealant but some people are saying sealant, glaze and then wax.  I had thought the sealant as the last step so that you can keep the finish perfect by "sealing" it in and not worry about having to wax as often. Plus everything, including bugs, can be removed faster and easier.  My girl is a garage queen who really only comes out in nice weather and for shows.

So what order are people using these products in, why and what results are you getting?

11 answers to this question

Think 1

Thing 2                   Hope this helps

Thing 3

Your list above is reversed.  

Sealant  adheres to the paint

Glaze brightens the color

Wax shines and protects (kind of like the Marine slogan) 

It can seem confusing at first, but remember sealant goes on "bare" paint to protect your correcting/polishing work.

Glaze lasts longer when applied before wax, but it will still melt faces when applied on top of the wax.

Edited by Redbeard

Thanks for the replies to my question guys.

But I have to say that I am still puzzled....................Adam's markets the Quick Sealant as being able to apply it before you go on a road trip or other in regards to creating a "bug guts shield" (my words not Adam's).  If you watch the video for the Quick Sealant product it is referenced as being able to apply it so that you can more easily wash off/remove bugs guts and other things.  So to me that would mean that the Quick Sealant would be put on after the gloss and wax.  Which would then make it a last step product (LSP).  

So in the video are they actually saying that you would have to apply the Quick Sealant and then glaze and wax the front of your car for the "bug guts shield" .............. or are they actually saying you can apply the Quick Sealant as an LSP, so over top the wax, to have it work as a "bug guts shield"????

Partially unconfused but still somewhat confused and trying to sort this out.  Any further insight into this????

They're saying that you can use it right before a long road trip to make the bug guts easier to remove when you return home and clean up the ride. You CAN use it as a LSP, but the longevity would be greatly reduced if there is a wax or glaze underneath it.

Edited by egott_91

Thumpr,

Sealants need to be applied to bare clear coat or paint for optimal longevity. It's the chemistry behind it. Whereas Wax surfs your clear coat, and doesn't really bond per se, applying Sealant over Wax will yield you only the longevity of the wax underneath it. If you layer, Sealant, then glaze, then wax, not only do you get the bonus of the gloss from the Glaze, you have one of the harder forms of protection as your LSP in the sealant, with the Glaze and then Wax (taller form of protection, more easily broken down by heat and UV), you have a real nice team of protection if you will.

You can stop at Sealant and be just fine. There are loons like me that want that extra shine/depth/protection so we do all three layers. Do you have to in order to get awesome results? No.

If you have Wax on the car and are indeed taking a road trip, it's not a bad idea to apply the QS to the front clip and leading edges to add a quick hitter of slickness or reduced surface tension, just to make things easier come wash time. Knowing ahead of time, by learning here, that the QS won't be as durable in this situation, but more of ease of mind come wash time.

I hope I was able to help.

Mook

Thumpr,

I've watched that QS video several times, and I too thought Dylan was applying it as an LSP.  Perhaps to make things clearer they could have a little pop up bubble which suggest that for optimal protection the QS should be followed by an application of glaze and wax.

Thanks for the clarification Mook.  I am now unconfused and feeling that I now understand what the Quick Sealant is really about and how it can be used. 

I think that fcca1502 is correct in that the video is somewhat misleading in that no where does it actually talk about the fact that Quick Sealant should be applied to to bare clear coat or paint and then glaze and wax applied.  I personally cannot be the only one that had/has this misunderstanding about the product and order in which it should really be applied.  But I may be the only one willing to ask the question and look potentially like a novice even though I am not.  Maybe doing an edit on the products description and then the video would be very helpful to others also.

Thanks again to everyone for you answers.