Customer Service 866.965.0400

I just may have totaled the truck...

IrishCurse

I'll find out Monday, but when I looked at the frame, it was twisted like a pretzel.  The front drivers-side wheel was ripped off, axel as well, suspension gone, tie rod end kaput, wheel peace-out, fender and bumper need to be replaced, headlight too.  I had just replaced the rotors and pads all the way around so those need to be replaced on that wheel as well as the ABS sensor, caliper, and god knows what else.  The USAA adjuster looked at it, but admitted he couldn't look closely at it because the truck basically is sitting on the front end, placing tremendous strain on other suspension components...

I was asked if I want it totaled, to which I replied that the truck is worth far more to me, than any value an appraiser could place on it because of the care i've taken o the paint, interior, and maintenance of the truck.  The thing is 9 years old and has 64000 miles.  The appraiser admitted that he "never would have guessed that it is an 05 when he approached it."  When I asked where he'd value it if totaled, he replied, "I couldn't tell you because of how well it been taken care of, what is it worth to you?"  "22K," I replied.  Wow, am I writing my own check here?

They say things happen for a reason.  Back in 2001, I had a friend who was driving around in a 1997 mustang cobra.  I spotted a red 1996 cobra in a used lot here in Albuquerque, NM and I had him stop.  The car had 30K miles and was priced to sell.  It was immaculate, but I was young and I couldn't seal the deal for credit reasons.  I never forgot about that missed opportunity.  Fast forward to the day before my wreck.  A friend of mine from work was looking to buy a truck from a co-worker and wanted to get my take on the deal, and to have me assess my ability to correct any damage I saw.  We were leaving the lot and out of the corner of my eye I saw a white late nineties cobra and told Paul to "stop, thats a 96 cobra!"  Sure enough, I get to the window sticker and its an immaculate 1996 Mustang Cobra.  Not a scratch, not a ding, no creases in the leather.  Price point of $14,500.  Here's the jaw dropper:  8,900 original miles.  I did all the car faxes, historical checks, etc.  Three owners, all NM.  First  2 owners compiled 7700 miles over 16 years,the third owner, the gentleman I'm dealing with, compiled the last 1100 miles.  Check it out:

post-9534-0-52926100-1373823470_thumb.jpg

post-9534-0-58747400-1373823484_thumb.jpg

post-9534-0-25741000-1373823498_thumb.jpg

post-9534-0-75419000-1373823515_thumb.jpg

post-9534-0-01855400-1373823528_thumb.jpg

Nice find, but the price seems a little high.  NADA Clean Retail on it shows only ~$9K, even with that mileage.  KBB lists higher values but I'm skeptical about how realistic they are.

I wish we'd talked a year ago when I sold my '97 Cobra which, after a couple months of advertising, went for the ~$10K NADA said it would.  It had higher mileage but was, nonetheless, a garage queen that I babied from the time I drove it off the showroom floor.  Absolutely clean/clear history, and I even included ALL the original paperwork, stickers, manuals, brochures, certificates, etc. that came with it.

Good luck with your decision!

Ive looked at both NADA and KBB both value it at 17,500.  Not sure what you put in there for parameters...

Shop for your next car
Price a new car
Instant Trade-In Offer
Get the offer

As a current 96 cobra owner I will tell you even with the milage it's too much money. Would you be willing to drive a little to get your car? Any mods you would want done or bone stock? I don't mind scouring forums shopping with someone else's money :)

Oh and if you had anywhere near 20k that is 03-04 cobra territory if that is any interest to you.

Ive looked at both NADA and KBB both value it at 17,500.  Not sure what you put in there for parameters...

I saw what KBB says, but that's simply not reality.  I'm not sure what you put into the NADA site but, as you can see in the attached screenshot, they value the car at $9112.

post-9610-0-83912200-1373844052_thumb.jpg

Like I said, I REALLY wish I'd talked to you a year ago...

Edited by Norton

What mileage are you putting in there?

8900, as listed in your original post, which is worth a $2262 bump over the car's $6850 (base) retail value.  

post-9610-0-40501000-1373844834_thumb.jpg

Note that, even with only ONE mile on it, NADA says it's still worth $9112.

post-9610-0-97034100-1373844992_thumb.jpg

I remember when I was 16 I wanted a 96-98 Cobra...things have changed. Lol.

I enjoyed mine for over 15 years.  Ordered exactly as I wanted it in late '96, I took delivery in May of '97.  When I saw the '13 Shelby, though, I KNEW it was time to upgrade.  

I am seeing what you're seeing...  WTH was I originally looking at? Researching... and thanks.

Happy to help, Matt.  While a data point worth looking at, KBB can be very misleading and should always be checked with other sources.  If you're committed to finding a mid-90s Cobra, you might also spend some time in the SVT Performance Forums where you'll find LOTS of owners willing to provide candid advice.

Good luck with your research and your decision!

I was looking to get a 13 or 14 if I was to stay in Turkey for the 1.5 years I was slated to stay, but alas, the project terminated  :(

That extra time would have paid for the SS, the Cobra, debt free, ho hum.  There has to be perks living miles from the Syrian border.  That was going to be my return present.  What an epic garage that would have been.  With an HD tucked into a corner like an outcast :(

I had one spool his SC next to me like a freak show.  I pulled up next to him throwing the bow down sign.  I know my place.  Love that car, always have really.

I am glad to hear you are able to keep your vehicle.  I work for USAA and we don't use KBB or NADA.  We use actual cash value which is why the guy wasn't able to tell you immediately what the vehicle is worth.  It takes about 2-5 days to run the evaluation on it because we like to make sure we know what the car is really worth vs putting in minor parameters to get a ball park number.

Thank you for your service (if you're a member of the military - I didn't want to assume)!!!

Edited by StormChaser