Customer Service 866.965.0400

Good beginning setup?

loki993

Question

I just got a new can, 13 Focus, and Im looking for some stuff to keep it nice looking. I was recommended the full 2 bucket system and that looks good. I was wondering if maybe there were some other package deals , maybe something that includes was as well that may not be listed on the site?

If not what a good wax to add that won't break the bank? Anything else I need?

21 answers to this question

Yes, you should always clay a new car. They are littered with contaminates from transport and manufacturing. It was probably delivered via rail thus it will pick up lots of contaminates over the commute. It probably also has over spray and other contaminates from when it was manufactured. I think they talk about it in this video.

Matt did tell me that you will want to wait 6-8 weeks to seal it after the car was manufactured to let the paint finish curing and breath a little. So you might want to take that into consideration as well.

I shouldn't have to clay a new car should I? I wasn't planning on it

absolutely!  You will be suprised how much gunk you will find when you clay a brand new car for the first time.  You have to think some of these cars sit on lots for a while and accumulate all kind of environmental contaminants.  

I remember when I first ordered a 2010 camaro ss built to my specs and i picked it up the very first day the dealer received it in and i took it home and detailed it.  I was suprised myself to see all that came off the surface of the clear coat

Yes, you should always clay a new car. They are littered with contaminates from transport and manufacturing. It was probably delivered via rail thus it will pick up lots of contaminates over the commute. It probably also has over spray and other contaminates from when it was manufactured. I think they talk about it in this video.

Matt did tell me that you will want to wait 6-8 weeks to seal it after the car was manufactured to let the paint finish curing and breath a little. So you might want to take that into consideration as well.

I honestly thought it was more involved than that. So it basically just wiping the car down with the clay. Thais not too bad.  Well luckily, or maybe not, this car was on the showroom floor so it wasn't outside. However they did put some kind of protectant on it to keep it looking nice while it sat there. 

Claying is easy but you do need to put some muscle in it.  I had to do mine twice and i wiped the car and let it slide on top of the detail spray too much.   So do a section and then test it to see if you were effective.  I learned the hard way.  

My suggestion is to start out w/ the largest kit you can afford.

Essentials:

SVRT

DS

Clay

Wax (Your choice, I would choose Americana)

Glass Cleaner

Car Shampoo

2 Buckets

2 Grit guards

2 wash pads

You will be hooked and want to get more so you might as well go big in the beginning.  Ha.

I started out w/ the Essentials kit when I first started using Adams.  I now have all of their products and most of the accessories.

What I have in the cart so far is

2 grit guards

Clay bar kit

Shampoo

VRT

Buckets and microfibers I have

Id love to try the americana but 50 bucks on wax right now is a stretch for me. I was going to try the buttery wax but they are out of it right now.  

i would also add a small wash pad or 2 (one for top and bottom)...they are great and some detail spray.

a sealant will add no shine, only protection.  

EDIT*  make sure you look at the kits....they have some with what you have in your cart

and one more thing, Great White drying towel!

Edited by redneck08sierra

It is a daily driver, will I get the same shine as a wax?

I was thinking about the interior detailer as it has leather. So I was thinking about the leather and interior care kit. .

You will get great shine, you just won't get the depth. I am very satisfied with the overall look and shine after using the sealant. Dylan uses it on his truck, and admittedly said it was way past due for a re-seal and it looked great...still.

You could probably start a new thread or even find this debate within the forum but I think for a daily driver it's the way to go. The other thing to keep in mind is how the car is stored. If it's outside all the time then a sealant is definitely going to be better. Waxes have a very low melting point and will begin to break down around 160°F, sealants are much higher.

I also have the Ford's premium leather and the guys at Adam's recommended the Total Interior Detailer. I was thinking of getting the Adam's Leather & Interior Cleaner but they said the Total Interior Detailer was a better fit.

My 2¢

Here is the best first step.........watch the videos!

You would be wasting some sealant.   It would work and give you a little more protections but the top sealant would 'fail' as soon as the wax 'failed'. But try it and see if you like it.  

While it certainly would be a waste, I think your reasoning is a bit flawed.  You shouldn't be putting sealant on top of wax because sealant needs to bond to bare paint in order to be most effective.