Customer Service 866.965.0400

Americana or Sealant?

scott750

Question

So I'm just getting into using Adams products. So far I'm really impressed with the results! I just finished detailing my truck with the following: Meguiars Gold Class shampoo > Adams Clay bar > Revive > Americana.

I was trolling the Forums and came across a thread by Dylan explaining waxes vs sealants and it got me thinking.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/14851-faq-whats-the-best-wax-for-black-paint/

It got me thinking: is Americana the right protection for a DD? Or is Machine sealant the way to go? According to the article it sounds like a sealant will last longer than a wax.

My main goal is protection then gloss. It's been 100+ degrees out for the past 3 weeks straight and I'm wondering if wax is enough?

I don't have a porter cable or flex and the only sealant I see for hand is quick sealant. Can machine Super Sealant be applied by hand?

Am I worrying for nothing? Is the longevity in protection of using a sealant compared to a wax mean I will be "rewaxing" every 6 months instead of every 3 months with a wax?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb.

24 answers to this question

sealant last longer and provides more protection.  i put down sealant and then follow it with a coat of americana or patriot.  this way i have the benefit of the sealant with the depth / wet look that the wax provides. 

so IMO applying both is the right way to go.

sealant last longer and provides more protection.  i put down sealant and then follow it with a coat of americana or patriot.  this way i have the benefit of the sealant with the depth / wet look that the wax provides. 

so IMO applying both is the right way to go.

I might add that MSS should be applied with a machine, however you can apply Quick Sealant by hand....

Adam's Quick Sealant

Will I have issues cleaning the paint the next time I detail with Sealant is applied? Like will I have to strip the sealant off first before clay bar or polishing? Or can I treat it like a wax? When spraying quick sealant, being an aerosol, do I need to watch out for overspray on anything other than paint?

If I stick to just Americana as my last layer, will that protect my paint enough? For years I've only used carnauba waxes as my final layer. I didn't think anything of it until I saw Dylan's article.

Will I have issues cleaning the paint the next time I detail with Sealant is applied? Like will I have to strip the sealant off first before clay bar or polishing? Or can I treat it like a wax? When spraying quick sealant, being an aerosol, do I need to watch out for overspray on anything other than paint?

If I stick to just Americana as my last layer, will that protect my paint enough? For years I've only used carnauba waxes as my final layer. I didn't think anything of it until I saw Dylan's article.

Either with wax or sealant you would want to strip off and start fresh from time to time so you won't get build up... doing a strip wash and claying will remove any sealant or wax. As far as applying Quick Sealant it wont hurt if you get it on your trim or glass and so on....Americana is pretty durable, however there are a lot of things to consider, the climate you live in, if the car lives outside, time of year etc.

Americana is so easy to apply and remove, its no big deal to throw a coat on......

Thanks for the information gentlemen! I have an Integra as a daily driver and wasn't sure if I just needed to buy a sealant or wax. Since it's a dark colored vehicle, I'll just buy the Adam's Quick Sealant and top off with my remaining Buttery Wax. Once the Buttery Wax has been depleted, I'll purchase the Americana. 

With a dark color, if they still have it & you are willing to put a few extra $$$'s out the Patriot wax would be killer over QS. I put it on my dark gray truck & it looks amazing a month later. It also sits outside in the summer so my boat has a place to hide, will be a great test of longevity.

Sounds like Quick Sealant followed by Americana is the way to go. In Texas we don't have to worry about road salts or nasty ocean breeze. But my truck sits in an uncovered outdoor parking lot for work 4 days a week. Otherwise its always garaged.

I am just north of you in the Killeen area. Waxes down here don't last very long. I use sealants only in the summer because of that. I put 2 coats on in June and this month I will give it one more to make it through the summer. Sealant over a sealant works good because it has something to bond to. Around the middle of September I get the wax back out because in October I strip everything off when it finally starts to cool down.

I am TRULY impressed by Adams QS.  IMO, on a DD, I'd use NOTHING else.  It's an easy on, easy off product and it just LASTS and LASTS.  I also find that carnuba based products hang on to contaminates more.  Also, in your climate, the QS will last much longer than a carnuba product.

I used to use Gold Class soap... Wait till you try Adams Shampoo...  You'll wonder why you ever wasted your money on the Megs...  

I haven't used Americana in over 2 years and I have a container of Patriot in my basement fridge that hasn't been used either.  I'm waiting for the G8 to become a garage queen and then I'll throw on some Patriot. 

I am TRULY impressed by Adams QS.  IMO, on a DD, I'd use NOTHING else.  It's an easy on, easy off product and it just LASTS and LASTS.  I also find that carnuba based products hang on to contaminates more.  Also, in your climate, the QS will last much longer than a carnuba product.

I used to use Gold Class soap... Wait till you try Adams Shampoo...  You'll wonder why you ever wasted your money on the Megs...  

I haven't used Americana in over 2 years and I have a container of Patriot in my basement fridge that hasn't been used either.  I'm waiting for the G8 to become a garage queen and then I'll throw on some Patriot.

Everytime I buy a new Adams product it's slowly turning me away from the Meguiars dark side. Lol They been good to me for years, but now I'm wanting more from my cleaning products.

Yes, sealants have to be on bare paint.  Use IPA and do a wipe down to get to bare paint.  

Also, your order is correct...  Again, Americana isn't necessary if you want to put on two apps of QS.  I'm amazed how long it protects and the beads of water are dang near balls on the paint.  lol 

I've never wiped down my cars with Isopropyl Alcohol before. I'm trying to search forums on it now, but what's the procedure for using it? Which percentage do I use? Do I just spray it on then wipe off? (Like as if I was spraying on quick detailer?) And do I this after Revive? Will this strip out the "filling" properties of Revive? Meaning small scratches that Revive hides will now show back up?

50/50 or 70/30 IPA to water.  Most IPA from the store is 70/30 which you can use straight.  I water it down to 50/50 and use it. 

I use a WW towel to do a wipe down.  

^^^ infuriating... Anytime I try to quote on My MAc Pro.  My iPad, fine, my PC, fine.

Any ways, I have 90/10 IPA that I dilute 50/50 with distilled water that I use.  Been considering dropping to a 70/30 mix to drop the APA content due to fear of marring.