Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dealer Warranty

.G..

So my wife has had her 99 Honda Civic Lx for about 9 years and it has 180k. She is currently in Nursing school and is set to graduate in December. We have been looking at cars this past week and test drove a 2012 Cruze RS package with 20k miles. This car belongs to a private owner.

We also test drove one from a dealer that offered a 3 year B2B warranty/5year 100k powertrain warranty.

Another dealer had one for sale with 35k and they only offered 2year/100k warranty.?? 

I thought that if you bought a vehicle it was covered by GM's 5 year / 100k mile warranty and it was transferable between seller and buyer whether it is a private owner sale or dealer?

I called Stevinson chevrolet and asked why they only offer 2 year and century chevrolet offered 5 year warranty? The sales guy said that its not a certified car. So I'm confused on the whole warranty thing. He also said that buying from a private seller doesnt necessarily mean I will have warranty with the purchase even though it only has 20k miles.

This is starting to be a headache. Any thoughts.?

Chris : why do you suggest a lease? That never even crossed my mind..

Bruce: how is a certified warranty better than factory warranty?

I also liked how the cruze felt. I thought it would have more power with the turbo and all but I'm just used to my TBSS power haha

Sorry if this is a repost my computer is acting up.

Certified used cars get the full 5 year warranty and everything has been gone over with a fine tooth comb before sale. My Cadillac came with the Certified warranty.

Factory warranty on used cars are only for whatever is left on the original manufacturers warranty and no more. So if there was a 5 year warranty and the car is 3 years old, you'll only get the remaining two years. 

And if you buy from a neighbor or private seller, they may not honor the warranty at all.

I wouldn't buy anything other than a certified used car ever again.

And I will NEVER lease a car again. EVER. 

I definitely wouldn't buy a used car from an private seller with low miles if they wouldn't honor the factory warranty. So it's factory warranty unless /until you sell the car to someone else .?

Your Cadillac has a certified 5 year warranty from the day you bought it? So if it also still had factory warranty does that certified warranty override the factory warranty?

I don't need a 5 year warranty from date of purchase, I just would like a low mile used car with a factory warranty with at least 3 years left.

My wife and I have never owned a vehicle with warranty so this is all new to us. The peace of mind would be nice.

I'm a mechanic and it would be nice to not have to worry about repairs for a little while lol.

Warranty is a good thing to have. I have had to use a warranty twice this week.  On two different cars.  Seems they cost more and are built cheaper.  And whenever I buy, I always buy brand new and keep them for several years, as I'am a stickler on maintenance.  My personal experience has been that items seem to fail early on if they are going to prematurely.  After my warranties have expired, I have only had to deal with normal wear items.

The below link may help you some with some of your questions.  Hope it helps.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/certified-pre-owned-cars-a-reality-check.html

Edited by LFairbanks