Customer Service 866.965.0400

2000 Chevy S-10 Xtreme - A Work In Progress

DonJuan692006

Well I had this long, lengthy post about what brought me to buying this truck, but I managed to hit "backspace" while not click in the text box and lost all of it. It took me about 40 minutes and I honestly would rather throw my laptop at the wall rather than type it all out right now. This is a truck that will be a work in progress over the next few weeks and I wanted to bring you guys/gals along for the ride. This is my fourth S-10 and I'm only 25 if that gives you any clue to how much I love these little trucks. Anyways, here are some pictures of what I'm up against to get started.

post-10752-0-32938700-1377830089_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-53448400-1377830096_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-71205900-1377830103_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-98977300-1377830109_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-03634500-1377830117_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-66540100-1377830127_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-96444500-1377830135_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-49486100-1377830144_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-50528400-1377830152_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-34156500-1377830160_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-80216100-1377830167_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-12390500-1377830175_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-18616000-1377830184_thumb.jpg

You're going to have fun with this one.

I actually am. Vehicles like this one make detailing fun for me. I love the instant gratification from getting these clean; makes it even better that its mine and I get to enjoy the prolonged after affects.

I actually am. Vehicles like this one make detailing fun for me. I love the instant gratification from getting these clean; makes it even better that its mine and I get to enjoy the prolonged after affects.

Same here...should be an awesome turn around.

Sorry if you read sarcasm in my post; I was being serious about having fun with this. My bad.

Same here...should be an awesome turn around.

Sorry if you read sarcasm in my post; I was being serious about having fun with this. My bad.

I did actually...the joys of the interwebs. No worries though and I'm hoping for the awesome turn around as well. I plan on re-doing the write up in the first post tomorrow probably so stay tuned if you're interested.

I myself had an S10 X 4.3V6 tremewith 5speed ext cab non stepside black I loved that thing. A deer thought it would be a cool to commit suicide by running in front of me at 70mph and it worked and the deer wasn't the only casualty.

Definitely know how that feels but it was at 45 mph and the truck didn't get totaled. Still did a good amount of damage. This one is replacing a 2000 LS Ext with the 4.3L V6 and auto tranny.

So I've finally started diving in. The first thing I did was get the engine bay cleaned up. Two passes with an APC scrub and one more with a dedicated degreaser and the bulk is gone. It still needs another pass but I'm planning to wait. As you can see in the above pictures one of the previous owners tossed on a rather cheap air intake. The issue is it only clears the compressor pulley by half an inch so the tubing got eaten up along with a small portion of the filter before they decided to brace it. They also patched the hole in the tubing with what looks to be like fiberglass filler. I'm currently waiting on a replacement to get in with a nice new K&N filter before it's drive able again. The plan this weekend will be to do a coolant flush, change the oil, change the tranny fluid, change the rear differential fluid, new plugs and plug wires, new fuel filter, and hopefully give it a decon wash. If time permits I'll pull the wheels off and start working on those as well with my newly acquired MP twins and some wet sanding.

I did manage to get the throttle body pulled off and cleaned up tonight. There was a massive amount of carbon buildup that I noticed when I pulled the intake off. Someone has tried doing this before and apparently got too happy with a Dremel or the like as there are several grooved areas. I scrubbed and sanded the inlet and outlet to get it cleaned up. Unfortunately, I didn't want to bore it out too much and wasn't able to get all of the grooves out.

Edited by DonJuan692006

Welp..small update. I managed to get the tranny lube, oil, plugs, and plug wires changed. I also greased the steering joints today. I found the steering wheel has a bit of play in it so I had my girl turn the wheel while I was under the front end. There seems to be an issue with where the pitman arm hooks into the center link. While she was moving the wheel in the play area I could see the pitman arm moving inside of the joint where it connects to the center link but no movement in the center link itself. I'll be replacing it in the next few days and figured I'd replace the tie rods while I have most of it off anyways.

I also noticed the clutch isn't as firm as it should be and think I have the issue narrowed down to the master cylinder. Either it has air in it or there's an issue with the connection with the pedal. I plan on getting to the cylinder after cutting the grass tomorrow to inspect more closely.

Hopefully I can get the mechanical stuff finished up soon so that I can get to cleaning it up which is what I'm sure you guys would want to see. For the most part I'm thinking I'll hit the interior and engine compartment hardcore. The exterior will get some love but the front air deflector needs to be replaced and it could really use some fresh paint. Apparently the previous owner loved using the touch-up paint pin as I've found several spots where the paint was flaked down to the metal or primer and he just slapped the touch-up over it. One coat though so you can still see where it is pitted. The wheels also have damage so I keep bouncing between having them repaired and powder coated or getting new ones. They're 16's but wide so it's hard finding tires for them.

Edited by DonJuan692006

fun project. i had a 97 s10 ZR2 and i loved that truck. took everything i threw at it and more. still miss how fun it was to throw that thing down a trail.

It has been interesting so far to so the least. It's going to take some time but I think the turnaround on this thing is going to be awesome.

Trying to figure out what I want to do about the wheels. I'm trying to figure out if I want to powder coat them or just slap on a new set. What do you guys think? I'd probably go with OEM replacements if I go that route because I like the wheels a lot.

post-10752-0-53436500-1378681904_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-08533500-1378681922_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-00779200-1378681942_thumb.jpg

Edited by DonJuan692006

Always like the look of the Xtreme. I think GM was trying to bring back the cyclone and typhoon in a way but ran out of funds for motor upgrades. I like the stock look of the rims. I wouldn't paint them black.

I do too but price is playing in. I'm looking at around $100/wheel to have them powder coated. If I replace them with stocks it'll run me about $800 for the set. I think they are allow wheels with some coating on them and the coating has chipped in places on all four. I'll have to see about getting them repaired/re-coated but have a feeling even doing that will result in a non-stock look.

I guess it depends on how you want to restore it. If its just a DD that you want to clean up again then I would PC them. If you want to restore it then I would check e-bay for new or refurbs

It's both actually. I found some refurbs for $140/each. I think the next step will be to run to a shop and see what they can do for me.

Managed to get the center link and tie rods out today. Every joint in the entire linkage was jacked up. I picked up the replacement center link, one of the inner tie rods, one outter, and the adjustment sleeve from the local parts store. I verified fitment and made sure I didn't need anything else then ordered the other tie rod set online since the local store only had one of each in stock. They should be here Tuesday along with my new air intake.

post-10752-0-28936400-1378688079_thumb.jpg

Another update....I swapped out the differential fluid and cover yesterday, trust me when I say that it had never been done before. There was so much metal from shearing on the magnet on the inside that it looked like silver toothpaste. I dropped it off at Firestone yesterday to have an alignment done and some new shoes installed. I'm including some pictures from cleaning the interior and the engine bay after the initial cleanup and I got the new CAI installed. Nothing has been dressed up as there is still some deep cleaning that needs to happen and parts that will need replacing. I just ordered some replacement carpet and some extra backing. I'm looking to replace the seats since most of the stuffing that was in the drivers side is now in my wetvac from it being crumbled up in the floor. Anybody have any recommendations? I was thinking about these: http://www.andysautosport.com/chevrolet/1998_9999_s10/interior/seats/racing_seats/cipher_auto/ciph90000003.html.

In the pictures you can see how bad the carpet is faded. From bottom to top you'll see the carpet unfaded and looking good from where it was covered by a piece of trim, to it looking like crap, to it looking good again from being under some trim that covers the seat rails.

post-10752-0-59915800-1379038464_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-81084600-1379038467_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-88399500-1379038471_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-98199500-1379038474_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-55362200-1379038477_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-73064200-1379038480_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-36319100-1379038484_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-39889100-1379038487_thumb.jpg

post-10752-0-22467100-1379038490_thumb.jpg

Edited by DonJuan692006

No update for at least a few days. The clutch has all but died so I'll be working on removing the transmission. I'm thinking that the PO didn't resurface or replace the flywheel when he did the clutch and the new one is shot. Plus, I have a leak from the front of the tranny that I've got to track down. It's either the clutch pilot bearing, the slave cylinder, or both so I'm going to go with both. I'll probably go ahead and replace the rear main seal while I have the tranny off anyways. I'm just crossing my fingers that's I don't find anymore problems while I have a clear view of the back of the engine block.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update. I ended up having a shop replace the clutch to save me from having to drop the tranny in my driveway. I had them replace the clutch kit, slave cylinder, rear main seal, and after a visual check...the flywheel. The guy that did the replacement for the PO didn't resurface the flywheel so it was marred to hell and back and missing two teeth. They identified two oil leaks while they had the tranny off. One from the valve cover and one from the oil pan. I also noticed that I was having an issue with vibrations through the entire RPM range so I figured the motor mounts were shot.

On Thursday I pulled the valve cover off and found four of the eight bolts I could get off with my fingers. The rocker valley had a good bit of sludge that was crusted...I'm lucky nothing has broken. I cleaned the valley up as best I could with a scraper and my shop vac and got the mating surfaces cleaned. After about an hour with degreaser and brake cleaner I managed to get the inside of the cover cleaned off. The outside looked like crap so I scrubbed it down and then sanded starting with 380 grit and working my way up to 1000. I finished it out with the MP combo and it came out looking pretty decent considering how beat up it was. Buttoned everything back up and haven't had a problem since.

I decided to knock the motor mounts and oil pan leak out at the same time. Started disassembly and found out the shop cross threaded one of the exhaust flange bolts when it snapped off. I ended up pull the whole header off and will be taking it to the same shop to have them get the broken piece out. I got the mounts removed and one rubber insert crumbled and the other has cracks all in it. Pretty sure I found my vibration problem. This job will take a few days to finish because of time so another update to come.

I did get my replacement carpet in but I'm waiting to install it so I can replace the seats and dynamat the floor while the carpet is out. I also picked up a replacement window for the passengers side since mine has some deep scratches from (what I was told) a horse rubbing his bit against it. Now if I could only find me some heated leather seats out a TB SS or Blazer I'd be set.