Customer Service 866.965.0400

flex pe-14 users help me out

Ralfy

Question

Hey everyone I'm looking for some insight on the flex rotary, I want to get one because my 3401 gets the job done but in some situations doesn't have the bite I'm looking for. What do the people here that own one think about it? Is it really all that it says it is? I spoke with Chase about it and he says its the best rotary tool he has ever owned. If this isnt the place or forum to speak of this please close the thread. Thanks all!

21 answers to this question

Very light weight and agile - with a 2 7/8 flexible backing plate and extender it will go places the 3401 and any other DAs can't dream of and its cutting & finishing abilities are fantastic.  If you can justify the cost of running both machines, go for it.  The Festool Shinex is also in that price range and is an incredible machine as well...it's also a whole pound lighter than the Flex.

If you are comfortable with a rotary then there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't own the PE-14. 

Its the nicest rotary tool I've ever picked up. Extremely well balanced, very smooth and quiet. Its definitely one of, if not the best rotary tool on the market. 

Just keep in mind, rotary has a time and place where its appropriate... with advances in pad and chemical technology theres fewer and fewer reasons to 'need' a rotary tool on any given detail. 

Edited by Dylan@Adams

My PE-14 is definitelty THE nicest rotary (dare I say nicest machine buffer/polisher?) I have ever used. It's lightweight and packed with power so there really isn't much you can't tackle with it and all the while it won't make you feel like YOU have been tackled at the end of a long detail. It really is a precision machine.

At the same time and to echo one of Dylan's comments above, you can achieve the same correction ability of a rotary these days by utilizing different (and safer) combinations of machines, pads, and products. In many cases all you need is to get the same cut as a rotary is a PC equiped with MF pads. The difference is that the PC and MF combo will provide you with a little more room for error.

I have to agree with above, Ive had my PE for a bit over a year now and honestly still pick up my 3401 for a large majority of my work.  With advances in pads and polishes the area of workability of a rotary has been made smaller and smaller.  If you are thinking rotary IMO the PE has everything you will ever need, and the small design is awesome when you do get into tight places.  idk in my opinion I still feel its a bit overkill for a weekend warrior to pick one up, unless you have the money just laying around.  If you are getting a good amount of cash, it is definitely a good idea, time benefits are nice.  

Thanks for all the info guys!! I was curious about it because recently I have corrected a few cars that were absolutley hammered, i used the two step system and MF pads but I just felt the 3401 didn't have the power I needed to cut through all the damage rhat was present. I am looking into wool pads for my flex so I think I will try that first before taking a plunge on a new flex rotary. All the info is greatly appreciated and this is why I asked here!!

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Flex Rotary :D

I've been wanting one for a long time and got a great deal on another site.

I've been using my Makita 9227C for over 8 years now, and while I love it, it's really large and gets heavy under an 8 hour polishing session.

My new Flex rotary is coming this Monday and can't wait! 

Hope it lives up to all the hype.

You'll love it mark, the size is something to adjust to for a little coming from the older larger rotaries.  But once you get used to its dimensions you won't go back, love my PE.  Congrats!

Good to hear, I really liked the design and lightweight aspects of this machine.

I'll probably hang onto my Makita for a little while, although I suspect it'll end up on Craigslist, :D

The boys speak the truth Ralf!!  They're dead on.

It has it's place.  HEAVY CUTTING.  Paint correction polish with a D/A is going to get most jobs done with just a few passes, when you're only dealing with moderate defects.  But when you need a "no-holds-barred-full-on-heavy-cut-paint-restoration."  You'll need the PE, otherwise you'll be working one panel for an hour, just trying to cut through heavier defects (water etching, deep marring, etc).  The rotary, flat out....GETS.  SHIZ.  DONE! :)

This is just for my education:  

On the Flex  PE-14   I see 125, or 150 or 180 listed after the  PE-14.  Are this minor or major model differences?

They all have different min/max rotational speeds, different spindle threads, and voltages.   The PE 14-2 150 is the only one rated for car polishing.

On the Flex  PE-14   I see 125, or 150 or 180 listed after the  PE-14.  Are this minor or major model differences?

I know Flex manufactures a wide variety of stone polishers for masons as well, I'd imagine those suffixes could be stone specific.

Each machine has different specs....

PE14-3 125

•Maximum diameter of polishing agent: 160 mm

•Maximum backing disc diameter: 150 mm

•Idle speed: 1100 – 3700/Min.

•Power input: 1400 Watt

•Power output: 880 Watt

PE 14-2 150:

Max. back-up pad diameter 150 mm

Max. polishing pad diameter 200 mm

No load speed 380-2100 rpm

Power input 1400 watt

Power output 880 watt

PE 14-1 180:

Max. back-up pad diameter 180 mm

Max. polishing pad diameter 250 mm

No load speed 250-1350 rpm

Power input 1400 watt

Power output 880 watt

Threads can be either M14 or 5/8-11 depending on the part of the world the machine will be offered as well.

Edited by 02Xtreme07ss

For those that already own the Flex PE 14-2 150, what size pads do you guys use?

I use 8" pads from another manufacturer and I've gotten quite used to this size.

I switch to my 4" pads for close areas and door trim and such.

Does anyone think 8" pads would be a problem with the Flex? I don't want to burn the thing out prematurely.

My Makita has has ZERO problems with the 8" pads.

Thanks guys-

For those that already own the Flex PE 14-2 150, what size pads do you guys use?

I use 8" pads from another manufacturer and I've gotten quite used to this size.

I switch to my 4" pads for close areas and door trim and such.

Does anyone think 8" pads would be a problem with the Flex? I don't want to burn the thing out prematurely.

My Makita has has ZERO problems with the 8" pads.

Thanks guys-

Mark, the max recommended pad size is 7 7/8" dia (200mm) for the PE 14-2, so in theory, it should handle an 8" pad just fine.

I personally prefer 6.5" pads the majority of the time because they can get into a bit tigther areas than an 8".

Edited by 02Xtreme07ss

Mark, the max recommended pad size is 7 7/8" dia (200mm) for the PE 14-2, so in theory is should handle an 8" pad just fine.

I personally prefer 6.5" pads the majority of the time because they can get into a bit tigther areas than an 8".

Ok, thanks for the reply.

I have 6.5" pads as well as my 8" pads, and my 4" pads.

I invested a lot of money into the 8" pads and polishes from another manufacturer, so I've gotten used to the process, plus the results are great.

I really like the 8" pads on hoods and roofs, makes the process much quicker.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

I have 6.5" pads as well as my 8" pads, and my 4" pads.

I invested a lot of money into the 8" pads and polishes from another manufacturer, so I've gotten used to the process, plus the results are great.

I really like the 8" pads on hoods and roofs, makes the process much quicker.

They can definitely be a life saver on larger panels. :2thumbs:

Just got my Flex and man am I loving this thing! Great build quality and so much lighter than my Makita 9227C.

I'm gonna test this thing out tomorrow, can't wait.

I also got a free Flex bag and Flex apron, I love the apron because it has a velcro strap on each shoulder for the cord to be held, something my other apron does not have. Nothing would drive me nuts more than the cord slipping off my shoulder as I bent down to get at some panels.

This looks to be a definite keeper, probably throw my Makita up on Craigslist :lol:

Now time to save some money for a Dupray Tosca steamer :D

Hey everyone I'm looking for some insight on the flex rotary, I want to get one because my 3401 gets the job done but in some situations doesn't have the bite I'm looking for. What do the people here that own one think about it? Is it really all that it says it is? I spoke with Chase about it and he says its the best rotary tool he has ever owned. If this isnt the place or forum to speak of this please close the thread. Thanks all!

Yes, it's all it says, it is quite the amazing tool.  But, unless you are correcting mass amounts of cars, you don't need a rotary.  If you are doing other cars other than yours, and you are worried about coming across some seriously trashed paint work...then get a 5.5" set-up and some 6.5" foamed wool pads and there shouldn't be much you can't get out.  If you are dead set on getting one, it is a great tool however. 

Tried my Flex pe-14 out today and man is it lighter than my Makita 9227C.

So much easier to handle and smooth as can be.

Looking forward to a full polishing session with this bad boy. I think I'll tackle my Mom's brand new Audi S4 this next week :D

Only thing that will take getting used to is the thumb dial isn't on top of the handle like my Makita, so it's hard to see what RPM I'm going at while polishing. Flex put it on the left side of the handle.