Customer Service 866.965.0400

haze after polishing

jcarr

Question

I am detailing my wife's Trailblazer. After doing 3-4 passes with both Severe S&H and S&H, I was happy with the results and wiped the residue. After wiping the residue to a clear finish the paint would become cloudy after a few moments each time I buffed the surface. Temp was in the high 70's with low humidity and I was working inside the garage. I have not experienced this before. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Justin

11 answers to this question

The haze is usually created by the damage left from the previous polish. You need to follow up with the next step to remove it. That's why there is a three step system you're working with; Severe Swirl Remover followed up with Swirl & Haze Remover finished witrh Fine Machine Polish.

Or

You overworked the previous step.

Or

There's polish residue left on the paint.

The SSR causes micro marring, it's because its so aggressive to get out the bad swirls and scratches. The SHR does the exact same thing just not as bad because it's less aggressive. The FMP or Finishing Polish is what will give you the shiny scratch free finish.

I always start with the FMP first and see if I can get it with just that. I did my entire truck last week with just FMP & Revive to get the swirls out. If you keep it somewhat polished all the time you would rarely need to use aggressive polishes to remove swirls.

Think of it like teeth. SSR would be a root canal, SHR or Correcting Polish would be a cavity filling and FMP or Finishing Polish would be Brushing your teeth. If you take preventive measures, you wont have to get drilled on.

The SSR causes micro marring, it's because its so aggressive to get out the bad swirls and scratches. The SHR does the exact same thing just not as bad because it's less aggressive. The FMP or Finishing Polish is what will give you the shiny scratch free finish.

I always start with the FMP first and see if I can get it with just that. I did my entire truck last week with just FMP & Revive to get the swirls out. If you keep it somewhat polished all the time you would rarely need to use aggressive polishes to remove swirls.

Think of it like teeth. SSR would be a root canal, SHR or Correcting Polish would be a cavity filling and FMP or Finishing Polish would be Brushing your teeth. If you take preventive measures, you wont have to get drilled on.

Great analogy. I also just use fmp as my initial step as my daily drivers are corrected and swirl free.

Dont forget the IPA wipedown after polishing is complete.

is this necessary after the polish? i didnt do this after i used revive. the next time around im going to use the pc. would i need to ipa with that? i previously just ipa to strip the wax off.