Customer Service 866.965.0400

Graphics on New Vehicle

shane@detailedreflections

Question

Hey guys,

I'm going to be taking delivery of my new 2014 Ford Raptor SE in the next few weeks.  The truck has a bedside graphic on it.  When I get the truck, my plan is to clay bar it, seal it, glaze it and wax it…with machine polishing if needed.  

My question though is with regard to the graphic.  Can I just run the machine right over it with the polish, seal, glaze and wax?  Or do I have to do anything special for it?  Don't want to mess it up, but want to give my truck the best protection it can right out of the gate!

Thanks,

Shane

7 answers to this question

Probably best to tape off the vinyl decal.  Especially since I'm assuming it's "satin" in finish.  So polishing that finish would be bad.  If it's NOT satin, and has a gloss like the paint, then it COULD be veeeeeeeeerry gently polished like the paint, but I can't imagine it needing it.

For vinyl decals of any sort, I'd HIGHLY recommend Quick Sealant, ESPECIALLY for satin finish.  SVRT doesn't make much sense, as you'd be trying to add "shine" to a part that's not meant to shine, as well as it would rinse off fairly easily...??  Everyone has their preference, but that doesn't make sense to me.  In our shop we consistently use Quick Sealant and consistently get KILLER results, as well as the vinyl getting great UV protection that LASTS.  Not to mention it richens the vinyl in a very "level" fashion, whereas SVRT would be splotchy.

We've done plenty of satin & matte finishes, whether it be just stripes, or entire vehicles that are wrapped.  This philosophy works great for us.  Hope that helps.

Probably best to tape off the vinyl decal.  Especially since I'm assuming it's "satin" in finish.  So polishing that finish would be bad.  If it's NOT satin, and has a gloss like the paint, then it COULD be veeeeeeeeerry gently polished like the paint, but I can't imagine it needing it.

For vinyl decals of any sort, I'd HIGHLY recommend Quick Sealant, ESPECIALLY for satin finish.  SVRT doesn't make much sense, as you'd be trying to add "shine" to a part that's not meant to shine, as well as it would rinse off fairly easily...??  Everyone has their preference, but that doesn't make sense to me.  In our shop we consistently use Quick Sealant and consistently get KILLER results, as well as the vinyl getting great UV protection that LASTS.  Not to mention it richens the vinyl in a very "level" fashion, whereas SVRT would be splotchy.

We've done plenty of satin & matte finishes, whether it be just stripes, or entire vehicles that are wrapped.  This philosophy works great for us.  Hope that helps.

What are you, some kind of detailer?

AQS is the perfect protection for any vinyl or clear paint protection film.

Thanks for the help guys.  I'll make sure that I tape the edges of the graphic before I do anything.  And I'll use the quick sealant on the decal and the liquid sealant on the rest of the truck.

When taping the graphic, I can get away with just taping the edges?  So that the tape overhangs just slightly onto the paint, correct?

I'll post pictures as soon as the truck comes home and gets cleaned up.  It has a build date of 12/12…then hopefully a couple of weeks and I'll have her!

Thanks again,

Shane